HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I think they're part way through that conversion of 'underperforming' Safeways to FreshCo - 14 so far in BC, I think. Across the country that brand is growing through conversion, and by building a few new stores; in some Provinces they're also switching stores from Sobey's to FreshCo. We know there have been several new Safeway stores here, a few since the Empire takeover, and they all replace a previous Safeway store. It doesn't look like they're retiring the brand for now. I don't know if a landlord can object if an owner wants to switch brands. These days property owners might be happy to have anyone sign a new lease!

Unless I'm missing something (and Sobey's website is too), the only Sobey's branded store so far in BC is in Invermere. As well as Safeway, FreshCo and Chalo/FreshCo, they also have Thrifty Foods stores in the Lower Mainland, so they have quite a bit of coverage across a variety of brands - although fewer than Jimmy Pattison's retail empire.
I wondered if the REIT status of those properties maybe had some obligations on the branding of a reopened supermarket. But Crombie was spun out from Empire as well so that probably is a moot point.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Bad move on Sobey's part, methinks - superimposing your corporation's "big" brand on top of your recently-acquired local brand usually ends up scaring off regulars.
Are grocery shoppers really that brand loyal? I just typically go wherever is more convenient / closer to me, other than seeking out a Costco. Other than perhaps people seeking out a discount place like a Superstore or a higher end grocer like Whole Foods, the rest is all the same to me. I couldn't care less if its a Save-on vs Sobeys vs Safeway vs etc.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:14 PM

It’s interesting to me that the key takeaway from this news that the entire project is being accelerated is a debate about Safeway/Sobey’s. Am I missing something?

Here’s how the original phases are described on the Oakridge website:

“Construction of the new Oakridge will take place in two phases (3 – 4 years each) with the first phase of retail, housing and public amenities opening in 2022 and the entire project slated to complete by 2026.”

Here’s how it’s described in the new article:

“... [T]he landlord made the decision to shut most of the mall temporarily to ‘dramatically accelerate large portions of the development’ which will allow the majority of the retail component, community amenities, international-style food hall and nine-acre park to open and serve the Vancouver community upon completion in 2024.”

So sounds to me like a lot of this is being delivered two years sooner than the 2026 completion date, no? Or am I not understanding the implications of this change?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:34 PM

Yes they are shutting the mall to speed the overall development is how I read this. I'd also imagine they are saving a lot of money and hassle in the process. Having the mall partly open and difficult to access is not worth it IMO. The pandemic climate probably sealed the deal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Van View Post
It’s interesting to me that the key takeaway from this news that the entire project is being accelerated is a debate about Safeway/Sobey’s. Am I missing something?

Here’s how the original phases are described on the Oakridge website:

“Construction of the new Oakridge will take place in two phases (3 – 4 years each) with the first phase of retail, housing and public amenities opening in 2022 and the entire project slated to complete by 2026.”

Here’s how it’s described in the new article:

“... [T]he landlord made the decision to shut most of the mall temporarily to ‘dramatically accelerate large portions of the development’ which will allow the majority of the retail component, community amenities, international-style food hall and nine-acre park to open and serve the Vancouver community upon completion in 2024.”

So sounds to me like a lot of this is being delivered two years sooner than the 2026 completion date, no? Or am I not understanding the implications of this change?
This article said the retail would have been completed in 2025 and the last residential towers following in 2026. It's probably easier to have most of the mall shut down but I guess it depends on how much they can scale up with the workforce/logistics to handle a larger project at the same time.

https://www.designboom.com/architect...ni-07-09-2019/

The first phase was going to open in early/middle 2022 so you could say that's being delayed until 2024 as well

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Van View Post
I think that closing the mall is perceived as a good thing as it'll speed development, so it's not controversial.

Losing a grocery brand that has been in BC since 1929 (even if from the US) becomes a topic along the lines of losing Eatons, Woodwards, etc.
It's also regional (going east only to Thunder Bay), so there's a perceived loss to "nationalization" (even if in name only since Sobery's has owned it for a while now).
Likewise, BC is the only province with Chevron gas stations.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanK View Post
Are grocery shoppers really that brand loyal? I just typically go wherever is more convenient / closer to me, other than seeking out a Costco. Other than perhaps people seeking out a discount place like a Superstore or a higher end grocer like Whole Foods, the rest is all the same to me. I couldn't care less if its a Save-on vs Sobeys vs Safeway vs etc.
It's not really brand loyalty that HQ should be worried about, more so a perceived drop in quality. Then again, it's Safeway, so there wasn't much to begin with.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 1:06 AM

There's also different reward programs at each store.

Real Cdn Superstore / No Frills / Shoppers Drug Mart / Esso - PC Optimum
Safeway / Thrifty's / Shell - Air Miles
Save-on-Foods / Petro-Canada - More Rewards
Buy-Low / Nestors - My Neighbourhood Rewards

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There's also different reward programs at each store.

Real Cdn Superstore / No Frills / Shoppers Drug Mart / Esso - PC Optimum
Safeway / Thrifty's / Shell - Air Miles
Save-on-Foods / Petro-Canada - More Rewards
Buy-Low / Nestors - My Neighbourhood Rewards
Petro-Canada and More Rewards just split their program at the end of July.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 2:41 AM

Thanks.
More Rewards has gone downhill for a while.
There's not much you can get now and the number of points required is quite high.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:48 AM

The Oakridge Apple store closes Sept 26, exactly 11 years after opening. It is also only the eighth Apple store to have ever closed, although Oakridge will be replaced by a flagship eventually.
https://www.iphonefirmware.com/apple...after-opening/

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:47 PM

From the DailyHive yesterday "Nearly all of the remaining businesses in the shopping centre will close beginning September 30 to allow for demolition and redevelopment to be expedited."
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/oakridge-centre-redevelopment-construction

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 10:49 PM

... and opening 2024 instead of 2026.

Here are some construction pics from that article:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/oakr...t-construction

and a few model pics I don't think I've seen before.
It looks a bit generic and sterile on the inside...

2020 model of Oakridge Centre. (Kenneth Chan/Daily Hive)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
... and opening 2024 instead of 2026.

Here are some construction pics from that article:

and a few model pics I don't think I've seen before.
It looks a bit generic and sterile on the inside...

What the heck is beside the escalators? Are those the hot water tanks for the towers, giant beer tanks, captured alien space ships or what?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
What the heck is beside the escalators? Are those the hot water tanks for the towers, giant beer tanks, captured alien space ships or what?
Brewpub [well, 0.1% chance it's aliens, but that isn't what they said]

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
It's not really brand loyalty that HQ should be worried about, more so a perceived drop in quality. Then again, it's Safeway, so there wasn't much to begin with.
Sobeys has consistently done a poor job at mergers. There are only two example that have not resulted in major losses. IGA Quebec (they left it alone) and Thrifty Foods (it was to small at 24 stores to do to much damage initially). They did come back over the following years and slowly remove what allowed Thriftys to justify its premium over subsequent years. By the time they did the Farm Boy deal they decided to just leave it alone.

The key problem with Safeway was the migration to SAP was a disaster and they underestimated the loyalty of western Canadians to some of the house brands like Edwards Coffee. It cost billions in losses. In places like Alberta they have been using the same flyer for Sobeys and Safeway and it is hard to see the difference. Safeway has some fairly expensive labour contracts.

FreshCo is probably fine. They have recently been doing special versions of FreshCo that have a strong ethnic focus. Metrotown has a Superstore and it is does not take away from the Metrotown experience in any way.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Brewpub [well, 0.1% chance it's aliens, but that isn't what they said]
I'd bet half my post count it's aliens.

The new renders kind of remind me of the Nordstrom on Granville from certain angles which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Sep 17, 2020 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 4:45 AM

First Crane is up! It's at the northwest corner of the site.

I took these quick pics from the (extremely bumpy) bus today along 41st.

Oct.15 '20, my pics

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:57 PM

Great to see! I was by the other day and didn't truly appreciate the immense scale of the excavation until I saw it in person, it's massive!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 3:51 AM

They need a drone shot like Brentwood did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver