Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
Exactly because it is easier to charge at home, is why it is less of an issue than where fast chargers are located. I would go so far as to say that there is no marginal buyer for whom charging at the Park n Ride is the deciding factor on EV adoption. Let alone having to uncoil the cable in the rain. On the other hand, not having chargers at the OnRoutes definitely impacts awareness of EVs and EV infrastructure.
|
I tend to agree that the presence of EV charging at PnRs is unlikely to be a significant factor in anyone's decision to buy an EV. I do find it totally ridiculous having DCFCs at several of the PnRs. That money could have been so much better invested.
Quote:
|
How is it water under the bridge when they don't have fast chargers?
|
It is water under the bridge that they got put in other nearby locations instead. I challenge you to find an OnRoute that doesn't have within 10 km at least 2 DCFCs (possibly at the same location) that are less than a minute off of the highway.
Quote:
|
And my priority is to promote EV adoption. The marginal return on that metric is far higher putting chargers on the 400 series service centres, than putting chargers up where a fraction of the province lives and even fewer people travel. And I'd go so far as to say that not having fast charging at service centres is an infrastructure gap.
|
Maybe it is because I live in the west end, but I have talked to many people who are interested in an EV but their parents/cottage/in-laws/whatever live in xyz and there are no DCFC along their route. Would they use it regularly? No, but most people don't use DCFCs daily. Did it stop them from buying an EV? Yes.
Quote:
|
I never said they should be. I do think locations that see more traffic should be prioritized for subsidies.
|
To be honest, I don't know what rules they use to decide which applicants get subsidies. Maybe they do look at their business case. I don't know.
Quote:
|
Which is exactly part of my frustration and complaint. Except that, you as a suburban home dweller have options to get around that incompetence. I don't.
|
I admit that being able to more easily install a charging adapter at home is a huge advantage. Your situation is worse, but there are solutions and they will come. What we haven't talked about is those who don't have off street parking. Fortunately that isn't very common in Canada and we have Europe to look to for advice, where that is even more common.
Quote:
|
At our current pace of investment and development? Absolutely not. I would be the percentage of apartments and condos equipped with charging stations to be lower than the percentage of BEV sales in 2030.
|
I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to say. Are you saying 30% of the charging spots need to have charging by 2030? If so, I disagree. Not everyone drives a new car.
Quote:
|
I've not suggested that every spot should be wired. Just sufficient to meet needs. That said, the ideal here would be for each resident to be able to charge at their own spot.
|
I agree!
Quote:
|
But if that can't happen, you have to start reserving spots. Here's the problem. Existing buildings have a finite amount of parking spots. Most buildings built in the last 15 years usually have ~1.2 spots for every unit and 0.1-0.2 spots for visitors. Newer buildings have even less. The more spots you dedicate to EV charging, the more spots you take away from other purposes. Usually Visitor Parking. This might be fine when you need a handful of stalls. Any scenario where you start getting to say 20% of the building have EVs and you will have issues on having a sufficient number of chargers. You now have an issue where you might have insufficient visitor parking, while residents who are charging have free spots (usually in the controlled access lot/garage).
|
I never suggested having common reserved EV spots is an option. It might be a very temporary solution for 1 or 2 spots during the early adopter period, but once we get past that, you need owners to have charging at their own parking space.
One option, which admittedly would pose some legal challenges but could be done with the right legislation, would be to re-arrange the parking so that those who have/want EVs all park in the same area of the garage/lot.
The legislation we have now is a start, but much more will be needed in the coming years.
Quote:
|
Have you ever lived in a condo? Serious question.
|
No, I have not. I have only owned the one house I live in now and have lived here for over 20 years. We chose the area because both my wife and I worked in the west end (and for the most part still do (long story)) so was close to work, and back then is was a quaint little town and not full of the soccer moms and Lindas (are they the same thing?) that it is today.
Having said that, I have talked to people who live in condos. One said the board was installing EV charging stations (I never heard if it happened though) and the other was on the board and said many owners were wanting EV Charging, so had questions for me as an EV owner.
Can I ask you serious question (actually a few). How long ago did you buy your current condo? Did you consider how easy the board was to work with? Were you considering an EV at the time to think to make it part of your condo buying process?
Quote:
|
Subsidies are pointless without an effective method to access them. That's my point. It's great that there are subsidies for buildings. But that is entirely irrelevant if the vast, vast, vast majority of apartment building managers and condo boards perceive the installation of EV charging as a hassle.
|
Change is always difficult. With enough pressure and support from the owners, they will make it happen.
Quote:
|
Yes. Hence, my frustration. If the government is guiding on "30 by 30", it's my fear that most apartments and condos won't bother. On that kind of a timeline most EV sales will still be to suburban home dwellers and fleets. It's not a target where you truly need broad accessibility.
|
The "30 by 30" is for Light Duty Vehicles (LDVs) only, so fleets won't have any significant effect (most use larger vehicles, though taxi's are the big exception). To get to that target using only single family home owners, we would need well over 50% of them buying ZEVs, which could be tough. We need to get condo owners onboard as well.
Quote:
|
They'll get the condo management company to study it. That company will report its findings a year hence. And maybe they go through with the plan. Or it gets deferred another year. In the meantime, anybody who is considering an EV just gets something else.
|
Though there will be more people buying new cars. Also, it may not apply to you (it certainly doesn't apply to me), but thought I read somewhere the average new car buyer replaces it within 3 years, so even if they bought something else last year, they will be getting something new in a couple years.
Also PHEVs can be useful in this case. It can be driven like a conventional hybrid (plugging it in when you can) and then, once you get charging at home, you can plug in every night to drive mostly on electrons.
Quote:
|
You can pull the legal card. But then you get the ill will of your neighbours and the whole bill for an industrial charging stand.
|
Some might bear you ill will, but some might thank you for paving the way for them to do the same. Also, if you are installing it yourself, there is no requirement for it to be an industrial unit. As long as the unit you are installing is CSA approved and it is properly installed, there are no safety concerns with it and while they can "propose an alternative installation plan," it can't "result in unreasonable costs to the owner."
If you are really serious about getting an EV, my suggestion is to talk to the
Electric Vehicle Council of Ottawa. I am sure one (or more) of their members has experience dealing with condo boards and can give you some advice.
Quote:
|
Cross-country travel is all but irrelevant to a decision ban ICEV. Nor is range really, really an issue. The current crop of BEV models all have enough range for a long road-trip.
|
A range of 2000 km? That was the distance between the DCFC in Thunder Bay and Calgary. That was the distance you would need to travel prior to both Tesla and Petro Canada opening their Trans-Canada charging networks (within days of each other) last December. Things are better now, admittedly, but there is still lots of room for improvement.
Quote:
|
At this point, I would bet money that plenty of fleets will get a replacement plan going without any subsidies at all. Look at Amazon and all the courier companies going to electric delivery vehicles. Or all the transit authorities in the country. A lot of this is happening without much government intervention at all.
|
Most of the big fleets drive relatively modern, cleaner burning vehicles and wouldn't be eligible for a cash for clunkers programme. It is the smaller operations that drive around some of the worst pouters. Maybe they would pick up some of the cast offs from Amazon et.al. but in many cases they have optimizations that make them more expensive to replace and modifying a heavily used vehicle may not make sense.
Quote:
|
The bigger issue is infrastructure. Can the grid adequately service their depots?
|
If they are charging at night, when the rest of their operations are shut down, they most likely. As an example, look at Gnewt Cargo, who are able to charge about 50 delivery Vans overnight.
Fully Charged has an interesting podcast of an interview with Gnewt's founder Sam Clarke
Quote:
|
How would an electric semi charge en route? Or should semis go to hydrogen?
|
That is why I specified short to medium range as one of the Battery Electric semis that are available or soon to be available will work nicely there. For long haul semis, I expect hydrogen may end up being the better option, but we will have to see how far battery technology advances.
Quote:
|
Should hydrogen fill stations be built for that? Etc.
|
Canada's
Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program does also talk about subsidizing hydrogen infrastructure. We aren't quite ready for it yet though.