Sort of similar to Aqua. The idea is that there will be a swooping, mirrored canopy that pulls light into the undercroft area so it feels more inviting and lures pedestrians to the Riverwalk. Looks good in renderings but I imagine there's a risk it could turn out kinda chintzy and 80s-looking.
Interesting. I never paid attention to this in the renderings. I think it'll come down to the quality of the material (like most things I guess). My fear is how it weathers. It might look cook at the beginning, but how will it hold up after years of water/road salt, and other nasty stuff cascades down it? The underside of Aqua is cool, but it's starting to show some age...countless cranes for junk/spider webs to get stuck in.
Last edited by vexxed82; Jul 6, 2020 at 4:47 PM.
Reason: bad spelling
^ Yeah time will tell. I hope it will be cleaned semi-annually when they do the window washing, but you'd probably have to do that from a scissor lift... is the building ownership gonna buy one and keep it around for that purpose? Etc etc.
Nice photos indeed. At least most of GEMS is built, and is looking pretty good next to Vista.
Is the stall due to GEMs connection with Saudi Arabia, and their government's shake-up with the king? (Side note, I'd love to know how GEMs teaches the events of September 11th.)
Nice photos indeed. At least most of GEMS is built, and is looking pretty good next to Vista.
Is the stall due to GEMs connection with Saudi Arabia, and their government's shake-up with the king? (Side note, I'd love to know how GEMs teaches the events of September 11th.)
The curved under-hang thing looks so strange in person. I can't believe they went with steel studs to build that whole thing. It reminds me of Heatherwick's hairy pavilion of something.