HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13461  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 7:55 PM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
     
     
  #13462  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:23 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000
     
     
  #13463  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:29 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Gorgeous.


From Thursday...


Sunset on the Bow by Chadillaccc, on Flickr
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #13464  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:44 PM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
gorgeous Quebec City pics!!
I can't help but wonder though if it would be worth having the taller modern towers retrofitted with a record to modernize them just a bit... much like Winnipeg did with 360 Main.
     
     
  #13465  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 11:51 PM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
gorgeous Quebec City pics!!
I can't help but wonder though if it would be worth having the taller modern towers retrofitted with a record to modernize them just a bit... much like Winnipeg did with 360 Main.
If it's well made & leaving the old town intact, I would have no problem with it, I even think it would be a plus...but there are people out there in the downtown area that would not agree with me. The kind of people that freak out when something is taller than 6 floors...
This project per example (where is the Starbucks) at the Corner René-Lévesque and cartier. The promoter wanted 5 floors (the zoning allowed 4 floors only) The residents forced a referendum to keep it at 4 floors and they won.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8042566,...L2cbSz6MnysX-Xs7AOjEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
But overall it's a nice project and it replaced an abandonned gas station. Lately, there seems to be more ''opening'' for taller buildings in the surrounding areas of downtown...You tend to see much more 7 to 15 floors projects than before.
That said, Québec City is not a city of skyscrapers and I think it will never be. Québec City has other assets...

I like skyscrapers (I am here since 2004), but I've realized that skyscrapers are not necessairly what makes me feel happy in a city. First, gimme a downtown area will full of historic buildings of 5-6 floors, lots of restaurants and an good street ambiance...second, skyscrapers will be like ''an extra'' if my first critera is already there.
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000

Last edited by FrAnKs; Jul 5, 2020 at 12:12 AM.
     
     
  #13466  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:31 AM
905er's Avatar
905er 905er is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
If it's well made & leaving the old town intact, I would have no problem with it, I even think it would be a plus...but there are people out there in the downtown area that would not agree with me. The kind of people that freak out when something is taller than 6 floors...
This project per example (where is the Starbucks) at the Corner René-Lévesque and cartier. The promoter wanted 5 floors (the zoning allowed 4 floors only) The residents forced a referendum to keep it at 4 floors and they won.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.8042566,...L2cbSz6MnysX-Xs7AOjEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
But overall it's a nice project and it replaced an abandonned gas station. Lately, there seems to be more ''opening'' for taller buildings in the surrounding areas of downtown...You tend to see much more 7 to 15 floors projects than before.
That said, Québec City is not a city of skyscrapers and I think it will never be. Québec City has other assets...

I like skyscrapers (I am here since 2004), but I've realized that skyscrapers are not necessairly what makes me feel happy in a city. First, gimme a downtown area will full of historic buildings of 5-6 floors, lots of restaurants and an good street ambiance...second, skyscrapers will be like ''an extra'' if my first critera is already there.
I'm not even suggesting taller towers for Quebec City.. I just meant a renovation of the existing towers.. the current tall towers are dated but not in a good way. a reclad with some new glass perhaps.. I'd leave the rest of the city alone.. I love the history and charm.
     
     
  #13467  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:36 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
I'm not even suggesting taller towers for Quebec City.. I just meant a renovation of the existing towers.. the current tall towers are dated but not in a good way. a reclad with some new glass perhaps.. I'd leave the rest of the city alone.. I love the history and charm.
My mistake, I didn't know what the word ''Retrofitted'' meant to say.
Yes, I definitely agree with you then. That's what they are already doing with the Hilton...but I don't know what's in the plans for the others...some need it, badly.
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000
     
     
  #13468  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:56 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
I think I'd prefer if we left the brutalist stuff alone. There's almost nothing worse architecturally than something that tries hard to pretend to be something else.

Food for thought - the Price Building was opposed by the locals originally (as a modern abomination that's grossly out of scale with the rest of the neighborhood).

I think the G Building for example is to its era what the Price Building is to its; nice typical examples of the architectural trends of the time. Don't mess with that; leave that kind of stuff alone and let it age.
     
     
  #13469  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:03 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I think the G Building for example is to its era what the Price Building is to its; nice typical examples of the architectural trends of the time. Don't mess with that; leave that kind of stuff alone and let it age.
I agree. Architecture tends to be vulnerable when it has recently become outdated yet isn't old enough to be valued. The 70's stuff is just starting to feel "historic" rather than "dated". If it survives a few more decades then it might be appreciated more.

I've always thought that Quebec City and Halifax followed the two opposite ends of architectural liberalism vs. conservation. In Quebec City even the 60's and 70's stuff is preserved or modified sparingly while in Halifax building owners mess with whatever they feel like. During my lifetime, the nice early postwar office buildings have all been obliterated in Halifax. Then again, some areas have been made into something more than they ever could have been had they been preserved (nice yet somewhat small-town older preserved area vs. new development more representative of the larger modern city). It's definitely a trade-off. In the 1990's the old parts of Quebec City objectively had a lot more going on than the old parts of Halifax but I think there will be a day when downtown Halifax becomes much busier than old Quebec, just because of the infill. St-Roch does have more of the mix of old and new while Ste-Foy is too far removed from the old city to feel like an extension of it.

I don't know exactly where this cultural difference came from. The US Northeast also tends to be more preservationist (i.e. NYC is more preservationist than Toronto or Halifax). A lot of Canada is ultra utilitarian. As a side-effect Canadian cities are often ugly but then again they can be very "democractic", with a relatively large number of people being able to afford living in the more desirable parts compared to the US.
     
     
  #13470  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:03 AM
cpnfantstk cpnfantstk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I don't really like the Stantec Tower, but damn does it do wonders for the Edmonton skyline!
I'm not fond of Stantec either (original renders were fantastic) but as you say the impact is huge for our skyline. That and the Walterdale bridge puts the skyline in another league. The filler around it helps the whole picture too. Now only if the 280m Aldritt get's built. It'll make the skyline a little quirky but I'll take it.
     
     
  #13471  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 5:09 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,665
Interesting shot down the Avenue Rd. "canyon" north of St. Clair. I've always really liked this strip of elegant modernist towers:


https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/jasonzeds-mydrone-activity-of-toronto-and-area.20755/page-144



Looking towards Toronto from Hamilton:


https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/dsc_0100_pc-jpg.250264/
__________________
     
     
  #13472  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 9:49 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,116
     
     
  #13473  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 3:53 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #13474  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 4:04 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
That first Ottawa shot is really cool. Must be from Gatineau eh?
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #13475  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 6:32 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,979
Halifax


Source
     
     
  #13476  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 12:07 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That first Ottawa shot is really cool. Must be from Gatineau eh?
Probably from the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge, so right on the border!
     
     
  #13477  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 1:42 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #13478  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:27 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
Monday Morning flying into Vancouver.

[IMG]2020-07-08_11-24-52 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]2020-07-08_10-32-06 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
  #13479  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:27 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,130
Pretty. You almost got me in the shot. Hanging out near UBC for a few weeks.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #13480  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:45 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Pretty. You almost got me in the shot. Hanging out near UBC for a few weeks.
Got my brothers Condo in another shot, also up at UBC.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.