HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
You're right in saying that most governments did nothing. Mea culpa on my part.

Couillard's government did come up with the REM however and basically moved forward with the most serious stages of the Blue line extension, two of the biggest projects since the 80's... On which the CAQ is now piggybacking. They're basically trying to realize projects on a map that an intern probably came up with during the campaign.

In our era where mobility is key and unavoidable it would be very unwise for the CAQ not to do anything, especially after what the Liberals did right before (not forgetting all their flaws). And most projects they're currently going forward with are just not a very good way to spend money (REM extensions that make no sense and the Third Link in Quebec City). We shouldn't be content with that "just because they're doing projects". The impact that an REM extension to Chambly would have on urban sprawl would be disastrous.
You can add the SRB Pie IX on the projects that were started before the CAQ got elected. It took 20 years, but still.

As for the proposed projects, I think the one on Taschereau is a good idea. The Lachine / Pointe-aux-Trembles, if feasible, would be good too. As for Laval, I like the north/south one but I think it should be linked to an Orange line extension to Bois-Franc (the last I saw, I think it was supposed to link Côte-Vertu). The East-West part of the Laval REM would make more sense on St-Martin than on the 440 highway. We will see.

Chambly is not on the top of my list for an extension, but I could agree with it on two conditions. First, it should make enough people leave their car at home and get on the train to make a difference. If it doesn't take a significant amount of cars out of the road, I am not sure it would be money put at a good use. The second condition is for the town of Chambly to change their developement plans to include more dense housing and less single family houses. Having a dense developement there or on more expensive land closer to Montréal wont make that much difference except making those houses (of better yet condos) more affordable. Land in Montréal is getting scarce and the city seems to want to turn most vacant lots into a park. If there is no more room in Montréal, a dense developement in Chambly next to a REM station is better than a less dense one closer to Montréal. If Chambly doesnt want to make the sacrifice of having more density (for whatever reason), then they don't deserve the REM and the investment should go to a town interested in making the effort.

Last edited by ToxiK; Jun 5, 2020 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 7:17 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
There will be a E-W LRT for the Island? What parts of the citie won't be cover or just a few km from a rapid transit line? That LRT line is close enough to the Pink line without the costs. The Laval REM extension has the major points of interests nearby. And for Chambly, it'll probably cost a couple of hundreds of millions. Studies cost more than that. Plus transit usage is already high on the Island. Often, the goal is to convert car owners to transit users (which I don't always agree). The Pink Line will never achieve that. You probably have the correct estimated numbers and can prove me wrong.
There are a lot of car owners in Montreal-North, RDP and Lachine that are just waiting for quality transit to improve their travel times and their accessibility to more jobs.

The biggest point about the East-West LRT is that there's been a lot of talk and we all know it's in planning but nobody knows what it really is. Is it an REM 2 that will have aerial sections smack in the middle of dense neighborhoods and downtown? Is it an at-grade LRT that will be much slower than an underground metro would be?

Before we get an actual project I won't get too excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
Chambly is not be on the top of my list for an extension, but I could agree with it on two conditions. First, it should make enough people leave their car at home and get on the train to make a difference. If it doesn't take a significant amount of cars out of the road, I am not sure it would be money put at a good use. The second condition is for the town of Chambly to change their developement plans to include more dense housing and less single family houses. Having a dense developement there or on more expensive land closer to Montréal wont make that much difference except making those houses (of better yet condos) more affordable. Land in Montréal is getting scarce and the city seems to want to turn most vacant lots into a park. If there is no more room in Montréal, a dense developement in Chambly next to a REM station is better than a less dense one closer to Montréal. If Chambly doesnt want to make the sacrifice of having more density (for whatever reason), then they don't deserve the REM and the investment should go to a town interested in making the effort.
According to the Enquête OD, there's currently around 2000 people from Chambly and Carignan commuting to the Island of Montreal during the morning peak period and about 1000 to Brossard. That's not a lot of people... If 50% of those decide to take the REM, that would give you about 1500 people daily for $700M, and a majority of these 1500 people might already be transit users.

Apart from being electric, it would be a worst investment than the Mascouche line and most consider it to be a wasteful transit project.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Jun 4, 2020 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:55 AM

Quote:

According to the Enquête OD, there's currently around 2000 people from Chambly and Carignan commuting to the Island of Montreal during the morning peak period and about 1000 to Brossard. That's not a lot of people... If 50% of those decide to take the REM, that would give you about 1500 people daily for $700M, and a majority of these 1500 people might already be transit users.

Apart from being electric, it would be a worst investment than the Mascouche line and most consider it to be a wasteful transit project.
The potential growth has to be accounted too. I don't think the Mascouche line has a lot of potential. It takes a long time to reach the center on the city, many stations are difficult to access and it is difficult to add train frequency on an already used commercial railroad track. If Chambly can get some growth, it could be interesting.

As I said, the Chambly line is not my first choice by any measure (at least not at this point, maybe in the future when other lines are already built) but I am not ready to dismiss it altogether.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 12:46 PM
More transit please

Quote:
The potential growth has to be accounted too. I don't think the Mascouche line has a lot of potential. It takes a long time to reach the center on the city, many stations are difficult to access and it is difficult to add train frequency on an already used commercial railroad track. If Chambly can get some growth, it could be interesting.

As I said, the Chambly line is not my first choice by any measure (at least not at this point, maybe in the future when other lines are already built) but I am not ready to dismiss it altogether.
You can't build rapid transit based on potential or long-term growth. There has to be a basis of a demand IMO. Yes, that's basically what the CDPQ is doing with the West Island branch, but there's a lot more people than in Chambly.

There is no space to densify in Chambly currently (unless you want to destroy more good agricultural land) and the ensuing urban sprawl around in Marieville, Richelieu and Rougemont would be disastrous with the addition of an REM station.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:16 PM

Blasting started along the Trillium Line near the future Gladstone Station, between Bayview and Carling.

https://twitter.com/deellisd/status/1270808301664690178

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 4:57 PM

Snapshot update on O-Train Fans. Bowesville elevated guideway of the Trillium Line extension, in the south end.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/snapshot-u...n-june-13-2020

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:02 PM

Ottawa - Just wow. I am thoroughly impressed by the speed of the Trillium line construction.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Ottawa - Just wow. I am thoroughly impressed by the speed of the Trillium line construction.
We are too, considering SNC Lavalin is the contractor. Not only were they over a year late with Stage 1 (full of issues to this day), but their bid for Stage 2 Trillium was terrible. They only won because they were the cheapest.

Stage 2 Confederation on the other hand, which to be fair is much broader and complex, is not quite as advanced from what we can see. Kiewit, Eurovia and VINCI won with a solid technical score, and of course the cheapest price. There's a lot of dirt being moved around, but we still haven't seen any tangible rail infrastructure to date, just work for utility relocations and eventual traffic detours.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Worse, right... Most previous governments, instead of doing projects that not everyone agreed with, just did nothing (or next to nothing) instead, That is not better.
Bill 61, which fast-tracks approval processes for major projects to kick start Quebec's economy, is facing a lot of petitions against it. Arguing that the process must be followed.

The petition people are very active on social media.

My kids are being pressured to sign - one of them came and asked me what my view was.

Of course, the CAQ being the CAQ none of this will have any effect.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:53 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bill 61, which fast-tracks approval processes for major projects to kick start Quebec's economy, is facing a lot of petitions against it. Arguing that the process must be followed.

The petition people are very active on social media.

My kids are being pressured to sign - one of them came and asked me what my view was.

Of course, the CAQ being the CAQ none of this will have any effect.
It's actually been blocked by the opposition last week in the National Assembly.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's actually been blocked by the opposition last week in the National Assembly.
Yes, but with the CAQ majority they can't truly "block" it.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:40 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Yes, but with the CAQ majority they can't truly "block" it.
Indeed but it will be delayed to next fall at the very least. Time is ticking for them to realize what they promised during the election.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Indeed but it will be delayed to next fall at the very least. Time is ticking for them to realize what they promised during the election.
Perhaps, but there is considerable public support for the decisive, expeditious nature (pas de niaisage!) of the CAQ Legault government.

I am not sure this is a long-term winning strategy on the part of the opposition.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:02 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Perhaps, but there is considerable public support for the decisive, expeditious nature (pas de niaisage!) of the CAQ Legault government.

I am not sure this is a long-term winning strategy on the part of the opposition.
From what I've seen on social media (not the best source but does give an idea of what the vibe is) a lot of people are against it.

Quebecers have seen enough corruption headlines in the last 10 years, I'm guessing a lot of people don't want to relive that by speeding up infrastructure building process.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Not U/C but I don’t know if there is a better thread for this:
Calgary’s Green Line approved by City Council . . . again.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-95c66c01376f/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 10:11 PM
Community Guy

New station time for 'Stadium'.

TLC for LRT: Stadium Station Redevelopment continues, nearby track renewal set to begin
June 22, 2020

This summer, as part of the City of Edmonton’s TLC for LRT initiative, crews will complete demolition work at Stadium Station, as well as track renewal work near Stadium Station. This work will result in some LRT service changes.

From June 28 until August 1, Capital and Metro Line trains will run every 20 minutes while crews work on the southbound track near Stadium. This will result in 20-minute frequency between Churchill and Clareview, and between Churchill and NAIT. Frequency will be every 10 minutes from Churchill to Century Park.

From August 2 until late-August, Capital and Metro Line trains will run every 15 minutes while crews work on the northbound track near Stadium. This will result in 15-minute frequency between Churchill and Clareview, and between Churchill and NAIT. Frequency will average every 7.5 minutes from Churchill to Century Park.

Metro Line trains will run between Century Park and NAIT all day for the entire duration of this project - except on June 28 and July 4-5 (weather dependent) when additional work requires Metro Line trains to only run between Grandin and NAIT.

“We understand that these frequency changes may inconvenience some transit riders this summer, but this work is an important step forward in the Stadium LRT Station Redevelopment,” said Craig McKeown, Director of LRT Operations and Maintenance. “This track renewal work will also allow our trains to run more efficiently in northeast Edmonton and provide a better customer experience.”

Current TLC for LRT projects are also making progress. Starting on or around June 28 (weather permitting), overnight construction between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. will take place at McKernan/Belgravia Station for approximately 1-2 weeks as crews complete platform renewal work. The station is scheduled to re-open to the public in mid-July.

This work is part of an ongoing effort to upgrade and maintain our LRT network to ensure it keeps serving Edmontonians for another 40 years and beyond. Future projects and schedules will be added to edmonton.ca/tlcforlrt, as well as announced on ETS social media and through onsite signage as they are finalized.

During COVID-19, we are continuing to maintain and improve our city through infrastructure renewal. We are closely following the most recent guidelines and recommendations set by the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health, and are taking extra steps to ensure the places where we work are safe, sanitary, and provide proper physical distancing.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/tlcforlrt

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 11:31 PM

STO has released a more detailed analysis on its options to integrate the Aylmer Tramway to downtown Ottawa.

The options include:
  • Surface Wellington Street with traffic (maintaining two lanes);
  • Surface Wellington Street without traffic (closed to cars between Bank and Elgin);
  • Tunnel at Sparks with underground links to O-Train stations.

Surface options would be battery powered along the Portage Bridge and Wellington so that views of Parliament Hill remain unobstructed.

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=838&L...rce=sto_mobile

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
STO has released a more detailed analysis on its options to integrate the Aylmer Tramway to downtown Ottawa.

The options include:
  • Surface Wellington Street with traffic (maintaining two lanes);
  • Surface Wellington Street without traffic (closed to cars between Bank and Elgin);
  • Tunnel at Sparks with underground links to O-Train stations.

Surface options would be battery powered along the Portage Bridge and Wellington so that views of Parliament Hill remain unobstructed.

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=838&L...rce=sto_mobile
I think that my vote on this would be obvious but taking the Gatineau tram underground to connect seamlessly with the Confederation line seems like a no brainer for me. It helps to future proof the line and to enhance seamless cohesion between interprovincial LRT transportation systems.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
New station time for 'Stadium'.

TLC for LRT: Stadium Station Redevelopment continues, nearby track renewal set to begin
June 22, 2020

For more information:
edmonton.ca/tlcforlrt
Was the 2026 FIFA World Cup one of the deciding factors in rebuilding Stadium Station?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I think that my vote on this would be obvious but taking the Gatineau tram underground to connect seamlessly with the Confederation line seems like a no brainer for me. It helps to future proof the line and to enhance seamless cohesion between interprovincial LRT transportation systems.
I'm torn. Underground would provide the best link between the STO and Confederation Lines, but a tramway on Wellington would introduce a new type of service to downtown and could be the start to the long discussed interprovincial loop. That could still be possible with the tunnel, but the City of Gatineau seems to only be considering this for the surface option.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada