Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
I reckon that 98% of statues are of white men. In Europe, they are all white men, usually on horses.
|
Hopefully one day people will finally recognize Queen Victoria and make a few statues of her.
Perhaps they'll name a few streets after MLK in the US someday.
To me it is a complicated issue and I don't really care what people in the Southern US do with their statues. I do think that historical monuments need to be put into the context of their day, e.g. if a town was 98% white in 1890 and that's what 98% of the statues depicted then it's not necessarily even biased. I don't believe that keeping historical artifacts around endorses historic social structures, e.g. if you appreciate Aztec culture that makes you a slavery apologist.
I also think there has been a conspicuous shift toward more diverse (or abstract) representation in public art in Canada and this goes back decades.