HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 6:34 PM

A few days late, Urbanize did an update on Gehry's The Grand project:
Construction viewed from 1st and Grand

View looking north on Grand

View from 2nd Street and Grand Avenue

View from 2nd and Olive Streets

View from Hill Street

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:56 PM

I think I misjudged the height of LA Grand project thinking it was a little taller, I didn't account for the floors starting on Olive 2-3 floors lower. Still might make a decent impact on the Northern part of the skyline when viewed from Southwest. It's really too bad LA's downtown Bunker Hill towers are so imposing and tall, it makes everything around them look pretty insignificant. Cities like SD and even Century City would benefit greatly from a project this size as they are less prominent skylines.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 3:23 PM

The Grand project took off rather quickly I'm surprised. It took decades to get started but once it did, it hit the ground running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
6AM would be the ultimate development to see in the Arts District. Hoping we see that, but not holding my breath.
The only thing that scares me about the 6AM project is the portion that sits behind the towers. Rows of 7 story housing. For me it just seems like a waste of space. The foot print is toooo big, its like the modern day version of the Macys fortress downtown. We may accept it now but our kids in 20-30 years will ask us WTF were we thinking. Keep the towers, ditch the 7 story floating fortress for something more dense and urban.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 5:39 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Agreed. This wasn’t even above ground in January. At this construction rate, it will be should be topped out by early spring of next year. Also, the material is high quality; definitely not cheap plaster as the fear was raised.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:31 PM

I was just noticing how ugly those traffic lights and lamps are next to the concert hall and The Grand, and if they were able to close down that small section of the street permanently and remove those traffic and light posts how much better it would look, along with being more pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Also, the material is high quality; definitely not cheap plaster as the fear was raised.
odd time in LA's history, at least for me. first the corona and now the minneapolis have made it hard to keep up the faith....not just for LA but lots of other cities too.

But the city has been down this same path before. DTLA has been the country's epicenter of dystopia, so today is nothing new under the sun. But the city's & world's economy being hit by a pandemic and likely that now becoming worse by the suspicion everything is a day away from another riot, makes projs like Grand ave seem somehow not as relevant any longer.

Who's gonna stay in its hotel rms, who's gonna shop in its stores, who's gonna rent or buy it apts?

The whole world today is like the oceanwide proj on Fig on lockdown steroids.

I'd rather not go back in time....but we did somehow manage to survive. But I don't want to play the waiting game all over again. however, the unfinished Oceanwide across from the convention ctr is forcing the old to be new again. The waiting game has reappeared.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 7:48 PM

Quote:
6AM would be the ultimate development to see in the Arts District. Hoping we see that, but not holding my breath.
The 6AM is a horrendous project. I really hope it gets replaced by something better.

I extremely hate its parking podium at street level

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanflight View Post
The 6AM is a horrendous project. I really hope it gets replaced by something better.

I extremely hate its parking podium at street level
The podium seems like it's easily 'fixable' or they can easily cover it up, the rest of the project I really like, it will make a big impact in the Arts District.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 2:41 AM

Not sure if it was wishful thinking or just interesting. But. Am i the only one to notice that Santee alley/fashion district has taken back some areas of skid row? I was expecting to see tents and homeless camps on some streets but instead saw fully functioning outdoor shops and eateries dotted all around the area. Is this new or am i missing something ? granted i haven't been downtown since the pandemic started.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:14 PM

DLTA Development Model

It's been a while since I posted any updates on my development map, so here's the latest version. I can't guarantee it is completely accurate, but it's pretty close.

Grey stands for buildings under construction, blue for approved, red for proposed, and yellow for proposals that haven't been updated in several years, don't feature detailed specs, or I just doubt are actually going to go through.

Let me know if you have any questions in regards to the projects shown, want to see something in particular, or if any of my info seems out of date.

Last edited by Doctorboffin; Jun 15, 2020 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Poorly formatted images

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I was just noticing how ugly those traffic lights and lamps are next to the concert hall and The Grand, and if they were able to close down that small section of the street permanently and remove those traffic and light posts how much better it would look, along with being more pedestrian friendly.
The City bureau of street lighting is currently holding a competition to redesign the city's street lamps.

https://www.lalightstheway.org/

Also, speaking of street lighting, the new Perry Mason from HBO looks amazing, especially for those interested in noir-ish Los Angeles (4th street/Main and the Devil's Gate dam in Pasadena make a cool appearance):

Video Link

Video Link

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Last edited by ChelseaFC; Jun 15, 2020 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:01 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

DoctorBoffin, those are great! I doubt we'll see even close to that level of development for current projects, but a girl can dream...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:45 AM

We've really got to address the fire department building codes in Los Angeles. All of our Highrises are unnnecessarily bloated due to an LA specific code requiring huge central cores in our tower... increasing construction costs/rents/lease prices per square foot and decreasing sunlight.

All while we are in a housing crisis with ever escalating construction costs. We are the only major city on the west coast with these requirements. Time to do something about it

https://letsgola.wordpress.com/2015/...n-los-angeles/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:21 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
DoctorBoffin, those are great! I doubt we'll see even close to that level of development for current projects, but a girl can dream...
Yea

Still wouldn't near Chicago much less NYC, but ideally close to where LA should be high-rise wise

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 6:37 AM

Fig At 7th crane is up

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
We've really got to address the fire department building codes in Los Angeles. All of our Highrises are unnnecessarily bloated due to an LA specific code requiring huge central cores in our tower... increasing construction costs/rents/lease prices per square foot and decreasing sunlight.

All while we are in a housing crisis with ever escalating construction costs. We are the only major city on the west coast with these requirements. Time to do something about it

https://letsgola.wordpress.com/2015/...n-los-angeles/
I had no idea, let's get this FIXED!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:04 PM

Well above ground now.

Video Link

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 2:06 AM

I wonder if you'll be able to walk on the grass on the top of that?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
It's been a while since I posted any updates on my development map, so here's the latest version. I can't guarantee it is completely accurate, but it's pretty close.

Grey stands for buildings under construction, blue for approved, red for proposed, and yellow for proposals that haven't been updated in several years, don't feature detailed specs, or I just doubt are actually going to go through.

Let me know if you have any questions in regards to the projects shown, want to see something in particular, or if any of my info seems out of date.
Thanks for that graphic that's a neat way to see into the future of LA, I am curious how it might look if you took some buildings away for a more conservative estimate to see what it might actually look like then. Maybe assume only 1 maybe 2 yellow gets approval, whichever one(s) you think might have the best chance, maybe around 66% of the reds (proposed) get approved within a reasonable time frame, 95% blue (approved) and 100% grey (u/c).

Edit: Also, your last shot is the best one by far it shows sprawling tower growth, this helps me realize what LA could look like in 30ish years, sprawling towers and mini cities shooting up all over the basin, this includes areas like Miracle Mile, Hollywood, the Arts District etc. And an incredibly long stretch of towers down Miracle Mile will connect DTLA to bigger city cores like Century City, with large towers that shine like beacons at their centers.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jun 18, 2020 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 11:55 PM

[QUOTE=Niftybox;8950054]A few days late, Urbanize did an update on Gehry's The Grand project:

View from 2nd Street and Grand Avenue

It would be criminal if there isn't a crosswalk added across 2nd street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations