HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:22 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Greetings, everyone,

Not development related, but thought you might enjoy... The full Opening Ceremony of Salt Lake 2002 has been released on YouTube. Watch it while you can, these are often taken down after periods of time (hopefully this time it's permanent).

Video Link

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:35 PM

Target

There is already a small format Target in Provo next to BYU and it is really cool. This would be the first in the SLC metro. It would also be great in the Gateway (I actually reached out to the Gateway about the concept last year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Target has a convenient list of locations that are under construction or planned, and indeed it looks like Sugarhouse is listed on their website.

https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores

I'm ok with that. I do like that Target has put a lot of focus on small-format, urban locations recently. As far as big chain stores go, that's one I wouldn't mind having around. I was wondering when Target would jump into the small-format market in Utah.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:36 PM
Space Magi

I wasn't active on the forum until relatively recently, but I don't recall ever seeing this before. This link has an alternate design proposal for the convention center hotel.

https://www.blurworkshop.com/salt-la...-hotel-concept

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:21 PM
Space Magi

New renderings for the West Quarter:
https://garndev.com/project/west-quarter/

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:34 AM

Interesting. Did Architectural Nexus take this on from GGLO? GGLO in Seattle was the original designer/Architectural firm. Anyone know?

Regarding the alternative scheme for the convention hotel, I posted that about a year or so ago. It's a cool design, but I'm happy about the one we're getting too.

Last edited by Orlando; May 27, 2020 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

Installation of Gordon Huether’s “The Canyon” has started as construction continues at the new Salt Lake International Airport in Salt Lake City on Friday, May 22, 2020. Kristin Murphy, Deseret News[/CENTER]

I sure hope they are including the colored lighting with these. I think we all agreed how sterile the new design was looking irregardless of these sculptural things.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:22 AM

narrow the super wide streets

This is not a project specific comment. It's somewhat of a random comment, but what if the city would sell off one lane on each side of these ridiculously wide streets back to private property? On 3rd West, West Temple, and State Street, there are 3 lanes on each side plus a middle turning lane and parallel parking on both sides! Or they remove a lane on each side and create a large median with angled parking, landscaping, and artwork and angled parking against the sidewalk, kind of like what they've done on 3rd south.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:00 PM

Some great thoughts here. A significant transformation of 300 West between 900 South and 2100 South is scheduled to get started next year incorporating some of your suggestions (see link below). In the second phase, changes will be made between 400 South and 900 South. Unfortunately, beyond that point my understanding is that 300 West is owned by the state, so the city's options are relatively limited without significant discussions and conversations. The same thing is an issue with State Street, although I know there are also some ongoing conversations with the State there. I don't know anything about West Temple.

https://www.slc.gov/mystreet/2019/04/25/300west/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is not a project specific comment. It's somewhat of a random comment, but what if the city would sell off one lane on each side of these ridiculously wide streets back to private property? On 3rd West, West Temple, and State Street, there are 3 lanes on each side plus a middle turning lane and parallel parking on both sides! Or they remove a lane on each side and create a large median with angled parking, landscaping, and artwork and angled parking against the sidewalk, kind of like what they've done on 3rd south.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
The problem with the streets you mentioned, 3rd West, West Temple, and State Street, the City has limited control due to them being controlled by the State.

Everything between the gutters on each side is fully controlled by UDoT. State Street for its entirety, West Temple, between 1st South to 950 South, and 3rd West from the northern boundary down to 4th South (Highway 89).

The City has already started the work for updating 3rd West. (See Utahn's Post)

Now, I know that the City has been working with UDoT to get more control or at least options on the streets. UDoT has been receptive but their goals have always been moving vehicles. This has slowly been changing and with UTA being incorporated in some aspects with UDoT, they must start to change their focus, at least within the higher density areas.

This would be a shift from moving cars alone to now include transit with their plans.

Sadly, I don't think there will be any change on 3rd West and West Temple for 40+ years. State Street may see some changes between North Temple and 8th South over the next 10 to 15 years depending on how transit is incorporated.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 10:08 PM

I thought the state-owned portions of State Street ended at 400 South?

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I thought the state-owned portions of State Street ended at 400 South?
https://www.udot.utah.gov/main/ucono...79620535238803

Here is a link to a UDoT map of the roads they own between Spanish Fork (South) and Pleasant View (North). Red are fully State owned roads, green are interstates, and dark red are highways. I am not sure about the blue lines. I think they are joint State and City/County controlled.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:52 AM

Crane going up on block 67

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 10:44 AM

^^^
That is going to be a major game-changer for that area. Very excited to see this one go up

Quote:
I sure hope they are including the colored lighting with these. I think we all agreed how sterile the new design was looking irregardless of these sculptural things.
I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the renderings themselves as far as sterility. The all-white of everything is simply how they chose to focus on the artwork itself. There's a huge myriad of things yet to be added. By the time the changing colored lights, finish materials, businesses, signage, scenic photography, etc., etc. are added you might complain it's too much, too busy.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:04 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

This seemed to pop out of nowhere quick.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
This seemed to pop out of nowhere quick.
The view from the 6th North bridge is amazing. The cranes look so far away from Main Street even though they are only 2 blocks.

I can't wait for the 2 CCH cranes to also go up. 6 tower cranes up and working From State Street to 3rd West and South Temple to 2nd South.

My wife did point out to me today as we drove around downtown that there are many work trucks from out of state license plats at the various projects. I thought that this was nice in that we are pulling workers from other states for our projects.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:28 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 6:03 PM

A cashier told me the Big Lots on 400 E and 200 S was closing in June and the plan is for apartments to be built there. Has anyone heard of a possible development right there? It would basically be right next door to the new Cottonwood Broadway Apartments currently under construction.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
A cashier told me the Big Lots on 400 E and 200 S was closing in June and the plan is for apartments to be built there. Has anyone heard of a possible development right there? It would basically be right next door to the new Cottonwood Broadway Apartments currently under construction.
I hope this is the case. I loathe that big ol’ lot.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 10:47 PM

Pictures of the West Quarter cranes from all sides.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
I hope so! That is a huge detriment to the urban fabric of 200 S.

Slowly but surely 200 S is turning into the premier street it should be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West