HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15181  
Old Posted May 18, 2020, 9:00 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
What's being constructed east of Kingsway Mall and north of Rotten Ronnies?
     
     
  #15182  
Old Posted May 18, 2020, 9:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15183  
Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:53 AM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
That's what I thought. Thanks, man.
     
     
  #15184  
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 3:01 PM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
     
     
  #15185  
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:23 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
'So Edmonton it hurts': Verbal bricks hurled at new 'European' development

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/so-edmonton-...ed-at-new-european-development-1.4941349

I didn't know Edmonton was getting a Disneyland

But in all seriousness, wth is this project? Any YouTube link?
__________________
"An AI agent does not need hatred, consciousness, or a Terminator-style plan to cause harm.
A badly specified goal plus powerful tools and weak boundaries can be enough"
     
     
  #15186  
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 9:56 PM
mcc16 mcc16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
http://76group.ca/developments/ Shows a before after comparison (bottom of page)
https://manchestersquare.ca/

Went by on my bike again today and although I still think it could have obviously been done a little better, I’m liking it more. Considering this was an ugly furniture warehouse adding absolutely nothing to this area, this is a 100% better use of the space. And I’m not sure why anyone would prefer the Identical boring glass and stucco boxes that 99% of new Commercial spaces are. Even though I would prefer more realistic and varied frontages you also have to realize they were working within an existing structure... I just hope they stick to their word about taking the tenant mix seriously and we don’t end up with payday loans, potshot, dentist, and subway.

I like big shiny buildings as much as anyone else on this site, but it’s a little bit sad how obsessed many people are with how Edmonton is perceived by outsiders rather than just building a liveable diverse city.
     
     
  #15187  
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 10:15 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
http://76group.ca/developments/ Shows a before after comparison (bottom of page)
https://manchestersquare.ca/

Went by on my bike again today and although I still think it could have obviously been done a little better, I’m liking it more. Considering this was an ugly furniture warehouse adding absolutely nothing to this area, this is a 100% better use of the space. And I’m not sure why anyone would prefer the Identical boring glass and stucco boxes that 99% of new Commercial spaces are. Even though I would prefer more realistic and varied frontages you also have to realize they were working within an existing structure... I just hope they stick to their word about taking the tenant mix seriously and we don’t end up with payday loans, potshot, dentist, and subway.

I like big shiny buildings as much as anyone else on this site, but it’s a little bit sad how obsessed many people are with how Edmonton is perceived by outsiders rather than just building a liveable diverse city.
Took a walk through downtown for the first time in months. Decided to walk by Venetian and Panache. Venetian is older than Panache and while the Venetian has an absolutely quaint design on the exterior and the Panache is more modern, it looks like the construction of the Venetian is more robust than the Panache. We will see how the two buildings proceed in the next decade.
__________________
The Colour Green
     
     
  #15188  
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 10:41 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
http://76group.ca/developments/ Shows a before after comparison (bottom of page)
https://manchestersquare.ca/

Went by on my bike again today and although I still think it could have obviously been done a little better, I’m liking it more. Considering this was an ugly furniture warehouse adding absolutely nothing to this area, this is a 100% better use of the space. And I’m not sure why anyone would prefer the Identical boring glass and stucco boxes that 99% of new Commercial spaces are. Even though I would prefer more realistic and varied frontages you also have to realize they were working within an existing structure... I just hope they stick to their word about taking the tenant mix seriously and we don’t end up with payday loans, potshot, dentist, and subway.

I like big shiny buildings as much as anyone else on this site, but it’s a little bit sad how obsessed many people are with how Edmonton is perceived by outsiders rather than just building a liveable diverse city.
I get the anti faux historic sentiment (mishmash of Netherlands etc), but like you said better than an ugly blue warehouse.
If they can get the tenant mix to be like a brew pub, nice sit down and fast casual food establishments instead of dollar store/nail salon/money mart then it could turn out decent.
__________________
"An AI agent does not need hatred, consciousness, or a Terminator-style plan to cause harm.
A badly specified goal plus powerful tools and weak boundaries can be enough"
     
     
  #15189  
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 10:43 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,667
Xelebes, snap any photos?
     
     
  #15190  
Old Posted May 25, 2020, 12:13 AM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Xelebes, snap any photos?
I am abhorrent at using cameras.
__________________
The Colour Green
     
     
  #15191  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:40 AM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,086
Agustana under construction.

Less-often seen views of Edmonton by Jennie, on Flickr
     
     
  #15192  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:38 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
Nearly complete on Jasper between 5th/6th.




https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1265275935047073792
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15193  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:57 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
I miss Backstreet Bistro. Their spicy prawn noodle soup was divine.
     
     
  #15194  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:21 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
Twas a great hidden gem...
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15195  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:26 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
Encore doing strobe/life-safety testing this AM.

Close...so very close!
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15196  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:39 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Encore doing strobe/life-safety testing this AM.

Close...so very close!

I love this tower.....
     
     
  #15197  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:58 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
I miss the surface lot and three coniferous with the white picked fence
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #15198  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:26 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
HDF Insurance - It's a PetroCanada station!
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
     
     
  #15199  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:37 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Bird Construction awarded The Louvre Residence at CP

"a stipulated sum contract for the Louvre Residence at the Century Park Project in Edmonton, for approximately $57 million under development by Procura Real Estate Services Ltd."

https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn/...sidential-builds-in-mississauga-edmonton

Nice to see some money spent on construction.
     
     
  #15200  
Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:39 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
Went by on the weekend, The Louvre is at grade and has a crane up.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.