Two recent interesting stories:
1. WestJet -
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-exemption-airlines-covid19-coronavirus-1.5578719
I didn't even know this rule existed. So any company in Canada that lays off 50+ people is required to give 4 months notice or essentially pay?
2. Air Canada -
https://business.financialpost.com/trans...leave-workers-out-in-the-cold-says-union
Not surprised here but wouldn't the same 4 month rule apply as above for WestJet.
I'm curious what people think about this around the country. Frankly i don't know what to think about the above. It is not unexpected. I don't think my (publicly traded) company would even keep me around for 2-3 years. In fact some of my coworkers are on temporary lay off but from what i understand you can only do this for 6 months. After that, "decisions" will need to be made from what i have been told.
I don't think taxpayers money should bail out people that literally won't be working 2-3 years. EI is one thing but the CERB and wage subsidy is a bottomless pit. It is well documented. Being based in Alberta, i had read someone saying "hey when my i lost my oil job, all the environmentalists told me to go work at a wind farm or solar plant, why don't we do that to the airline workers" which i thought was an interesting point. Did the fisherman out east or the forestry workers in BC get 2-3 years in free pay for not fishing? They got money for retraining. Perhaps that should happen to the airline employees i dunno. I guess the auto workers got bailed out and how has that turned out. Off to Mexico. I haven't seen Elizabeth May or Yves Blanchet come out and say stop bailing out the airlines either although no one is surprised by that.
I'm curious what people's perspectives are on this. I'm still an avgeek at heart. To be fair i don't think the CFL should get government money either.