HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Must be. There are currently 8 lanes beneath the 400 bridge.

Hwy 7 only had six beneath the 404. The Highway 7 bridges don't have central support pillars, so they cannibalized the former raised central median (as well as one of the pedestrian walkways) when they constructed the VIVA lane beneath the 400.

In the case of Highway 7, if VIVA buses really started being tremendously inconvenienced by the single lane alternating flow, the buses could just merge with vehicle traffic beneath the 404 and run with mixed traffic. That'd be a much more cost effective solution to replacing a perfectly good bridge.
I doubt the bus traffic will get that bad.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I doubt the bus traffic will get that bad.
Pre-Covid, Viva had actually been well used during rush hour, but that was it.

=====

O.P.P. reported icy conditions on Highway 401 through Cambridge 2 hours ago.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 2:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile, I chanced upon a 20-minute video footage on Highway 427 extension and expansion: https://youtu.be/rAySdHwceSw which was posted a week ago.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 3:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Do not pass Go, proceed directly to Jail.

That being said, there's only a handful of high-priced models of car that will do that kind of speed. If any parent is foolish enough to give their 19-year old kid that, they've extraordinarily poor judgement.

Which also means the kid will probably get bought out of their problem.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Ontario road deaths up from last year: OPP

https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...8-bc8d97751b6c

Is anyone surprised?

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 1:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Ontario road deaths up from last year: OPP

https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...8-bc8d97751b6c

Is anyone surprised?
I guess not, seeing that stunt driving charges have been up by 50%.

=====

I’ve always been curious how Hanlon Parkway will be grade-separated from Paisley Road, between the interchange with Wellington Street W and Westwood Road Overpass. The main concern, as it seems to me, is that both are already grade-separated from the Kitchener Go Train Line (Speedville Subdivision...?) and that the intersection’s really close to both rail overpasses.

The proximity to Wellington Street interchange precludes the option of converting that to RIRO. Making Paisley Road go under Highway 6 will mean steeper grade, not to mention the extensive closure of the street to make that happen, and closing Hanlon Parkway (or even lane reduction) is out of the question.
I see an option to completely realign Paisley Road to the “south” of the rail tracks, fly it over Highway 6 and end it at Silvercreek Parkway S. The issues with that are that:
(1) The Paisley Road rail overpass completely goes to waste;
(2) Grade-separating the rail from Silvercreek Parkway is out of question;

What will be the best thing to do in this case?

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:13 PM

Quote:

=====

I’ve always been curious how Hanlon Parkway will be grade-separated from Paisley Road, between the interchange with Wellington Street W and Westwood Road Overpass. The main concern, as it seems to me, is that both are already grade-separated from the Kitchener Go Train Line (Speedville Subdivision...?) and that the intersection’s really close to both rail overpasses.

The proximity to Wellington Street interchange precludes the option of converting that to RIRO. Making Paisley Road go under Highway 6 will mean steeper grade, not to mention the extensive closure of the street to make that happen, and closing Hanlon Parkway (or even lane reduction) is out of the question.
I see an option to completely realign Paisley Road to the “south” of the rail tracks, fly it over Highway 6 and end it at Silvercreek Parkway S. The issues with that are that:

I have always wondered what are they going to do to grade-separate the Hanlon and Paisley, considering the overpasses as you stated. Their isn't really that much space between Wellington, the railway and Westwood.

I agree that they can't shut down the Hanlon, or close a lane. The road is bad enough as it is, even now, with half of people not going to work. They do need to do it before they actually build the new Highway 7. I know once that is built I would use that rather than going to K/W through back roads such as 24 or Kossuth and Fairway.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Do you not use Highway 7 even right now? It’s interesting that you mentioned 24 because that’s more for Hespeler.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:47 PM

I live and work in Guelph ATM, so I don't head to Kitchener often, but right now 7 isn't too bad. I drove out to Kitchener a couple weeks back to look at a house and the traffic was manageable. But depending on the part of Kitchener you are going to, it can be faster to take 24 and then Kossuth/Fairway or Maple Grove/Sportsworld or 401 if going to Doon Campus, than to take 7 to the Conestoga.

I am moving to the Fischer-Hallman and Huron part of Kitchener in June, and will most likely be taking the back roads (Fairway/Kossuth and some sideroads) to NW Guelph, though right now, I may try 7 since traffic might not be so bad with much of Linamar laid-off.

They really need to build the new 7 because it can be quite ridiculous driving to/from Kitchener on it. I have driven on it and basically was stop and go all the way from 32 to Breslau. What should be a maybe 10 minute drive from limit to limit can be 30 minutes just because the road is so over-utilized.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:

=====

I don't see Wellington being any barrier at all to Paisley being RIRO. There are even turning and merging lanes there already. I think the bigger issue with making Paisley a RIRO is that it cuts off an east-west route across 6 from downtown. Crossing Paisley over to the south of the rail doesn't accomplish anything, because now you have Paisley on the wrong side of the tracks and a whole lot of houses between it and the rest of it's current alignment even if you do cross the tracks. If you are going to build a new bridge across 6 and also a new railway bridge, you might has well put that construction into the current alignment.

Not sure if going over 6 is really workable, considering the curve on Paisley and the short approach from the west given the existing rail underpass. Plus I'm not sure if the hydro right of way to the east poses an issue. Plus is the intention to also allow an interchange here? Maybe have 6 go under Paisley. Close Paisley for the duration of construction. Make 6 be 2 way traffic on the southbound side, put an underpass on the northbound, move 2 way traffic to the northbound, repeat process for southbound. With Paisley closed, at least traffic isn't stopping for lights. It would be a painful couple years no doubt.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:55 PM

Because of all the limitations at Paisley and the Hanlon, I could see them not bothering to put an interchange there. Have an interchange at Willow and Speedvale, though those two are quite close together. Much of the traffic that would be heading west from the Hanlon can use Wellington and Imperial, or Willow and Silvercreek or Imperial depending on where on Paisley you are going.

Heading east from the Hanlon, they may have to connect the two sections of Silvercreek between Wellington/Waterloo and Paisley, though Edinburgh is close enough. If you are heading downtown you are most likely taking Wellington anyway.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 4:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Hmm, what about joining Paisley Road west of Highway 6 to Rhonda Road instead? Then just eliminate the intersection altogether.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 11:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile, M.T.O.’s tightlipped about Highway 7 Kitchener-Guelph Freeway.
https://www.therecord.com/news/water...=&utm_content=
I’m wondering. Will that or Hanlon Parkway even attain a speed limit of 100 km/h?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://twitter.com/yrp/status/1265282125294710786?s=21

So far, it seems that it was gangs that have tarnished the reputation of the towing industry all along. Man, something was wrong or off when drugs, which one would never associate with a usual towing industry, were mentioned. The investigations are still active.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
https://twitter.com/yrp/status/1265282125294710786?s=21

So far, it seems that it was gangs that have tarnished the reputation of the towing industry all along. Man, something was wrong or off when drugs, which one would never associate with a usual towing industry, were mentioned. The investigations are still active.
When I lived in TO during the late 80 and 90, this was a problem as well. I remember numerous news stories about the scams and how the drivers would hunt for a tow. Usually 3 or 4 would show up at an accident scene. Had a friend that had a car towed for parking issues. When he went to get the car from the lot, it had been towed to another lot. he went to the next lot and it had been towed to another lot. took him a full week to track it down and cost over 1000 in extra fees.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Just curious, who here is in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/279324105505702/ ?

PS: I don't use my real name on FB either. It's really close to my FB name, though, and there's a funny story behind the latter too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:25 AM

Yep, I'm on there too. I don't post very often though

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:41 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yep, I'm on there too. I don't post very often though
Alright I think I found you.

=====

I think I may have found FrAnK too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Not me. But if there is a group for discussing Via, I would be...and you know who I am already....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario