HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa


    256 Rideau Street Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:22 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post


I'm really curious if the final product will look anything like the last renders. Being Ottawa I doubt it, since there is zero accountability for developers that vary from the plan. I am mostly curious about the checkerboard paint job on the blank walls, I wonder if that could end up looking better or worse than a gray concrete wall, especially when the paint starts to peel.
I'd say because this is a rental that the end elevations will be insulated and covered with sheet metal cladding. Always looking at the bottom line for future building operations and maintenance, rather than flashy and cheap for Condos. And so, it really depends on how cheap the sandwich panels are going to be. (aka the Andaz)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:38 PM
Arcologist Arcologist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Nation's Capital
Posts: 570
Anyone have an update on construction progress here?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 1:37 AM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wakefield, QC
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I'd say because this is a rental that the end elevations will be insulated and covered with sheet metal cladding. Always looking at the bottom line for future building operations and maintenance, rather than flashy and cheap for Condos. And so, it really depends on how cheap the sandwich panels are going to be. (aka the Andaz)
I really doubt it will be clad as the neighbouring lot will be developed as well, so what would be the point. The Great Wall of Ottawa must continue!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 10:26 PM
Jayday23 Jayday23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Anyone have an update on construction progress here?
Excavation is complete. They're buildings up now. Working on the elevator cores. 2-3 floors till grade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 1:38 PM
k.evans k.evans is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:05 PM
OTSkyline OTSkyline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,386
WOW that is T.I.G.H.T

Wouldn't even have thought it would be legal to build so close to existing towers...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 8:39 PM
jchamoun79 jchamoun79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
WOW that is T.I.G.H.T

Wouldn't even have thought it would be legal to build so close to existing towers...
At least it'll cover up the giant windowless blank walls on that side of the existing towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 10:41 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamoun79 View Post
At least it'll cover up the giant windowless blank walls on that side of the existing towers.
Replaced with a new windowless blank wall...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 1:43 AM
Soi-Fon's Avatar
Soi-Fon Soi-Fon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Replaced with a new windowless blank wall...
On the bright side, it fits the mood of the city: dark and gray.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:14 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 545
I love when a new building extends 6 ft past the corner balcony of the existing building. Like a big f-you to whomever lives there.

The worst is the Gotham and those *literally* poor bastards living in Place May Nickson Place. Going from nice view to painted styrofoam grey.

My googling came up with this great description. Love how in the comments, the mentality that May Nickson will be replaced in the future therefore it doesn't matter. As if these buildings wont be here for another 50-100 years.

https://www.westsideaction.ca/is-this-good-planning/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 10:14 PM
UrbOttawa UrbOttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 101
Concrete construction time-lapse from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comm..._construction/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 11:28 AM
eltodesukane eltodesukane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
I love when a new building extends 6 ft past the corner balcony of the existing building. Like a big f-you to whomever lives there.

The worst is the Gotham and those *literally* poor bastards living in Place May Nickson Place. Going from nice view to painted styrofoam grey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 12:36 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Imagine when they start developing the corners.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 1:17 AM
eltodesukane eltodesukane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 712
Some balconies will have a restricted view after this goes up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 1:54 PM
FutureWickedCity's Avatar
FutureWickedCity FutureWickedCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 208
Lol, "luxury condos" where you're caged into your tiny box with zero sunlight and a view of other people's condos on three sides
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted May 3, 2020, 12:24 AM
BenYOW BenYOW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 51
Progress as of May 2.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted May 3, 2020, 1:18 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 11,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Lol, "luxury condos" where you're caged into your tiny box with zero sunlight and a view of other people's condos on three sides
There should be rules against that. False advertising.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted May 3, 2020, 1:28 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 19,289
"Luxury" in real estate language just means the place has running water ....

Last edited by kwoldtimer; May 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:47 PM
UrbOttawa UrbOttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 101
Updated elevations with Envie branding:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...Elevations.PDF

Looks like we'll be trading claridge's beige wall with a new grey and black aluminum wall. At least the new tower has some mildly interesting form and lighting details at the top.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:37 PM
kevinbottawa kevinbottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Updated elevations with Envie branding:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...Elevations.PDF

Looks like we'll be trading claridge's beige wall with a new grey and black aluminum wall. At least the new tower has some mildly interesting form and lighting details at the top.
This might actually save the Rideau-King Edward intersection. Everything else that's planned or in the works is mediocre.
__________________
Ranting since 2014 at shiftermagazine.com/kevin-bourne
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.