Posted Apr 6, 2020, 6:45 PM
|
 |
TL;DR
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
|
|
Sigcho hasn't really come out as hostile to West Loop development, though... he has no friends among developers in general, but there's no anti-gentrification fight in West Loop, it's just a bunch of spoiled rich residents trying to hang onto views and Sigcho doesn't represent them. Arguably more West Loop development helps SLOW the gentrification of poorer communities, and the required affordable units could be provided off-site in communities like Roosevelt Square or Pilsen where the displacement struggle is actually real.
I don't think Sigcho will be as development-friendly as Burnett has been, but there's really nothing specific in his politics that would get in the way of West Loop development other than hurr durr fatcat developers bad. I assume he will take the community's concerns about shadows and traffic into account pragmatically and the approval processes will go pretty much the same as they would in Reilly, Waguespack, Tunney's wards etc. May even cut some deals, as I mentioned above, to bring some investment into the lower-income portions of the ward.
|