HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 3:05 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
The large print rendering of Liberty Sky has disappeared from the construction site, hopefully the design hasn’t been downgraded again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
lmao with every update, this tower loses a few floors.

When it's finally built, it'll look like...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

������ Fingers crossed.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kZHPPO8

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 10:59 PM

Just some updates on what's been coming through the planning/building portal the last little bit.

Apartments:

- Sloane Apartments 764 S 200 W with 88 apartments. Number of stories unknown for now but a nicely dense addition to the Central 9th neighborhood that's seen an influx of micro/studio apartments constructed.
- North Temple Micro Apartments 940 W North Temple with 150 micro apartments. Again the number of stories isn't known though it is exciting to see that area by the Jackson/Euclid station finally see some good action.
- Alta Depot 565 W 100 S with 288 units in 4 stories. Located right next to the Alta Gateway building. This looks to be a similar layout with a midblock crossing to be added between the buildings.
- 426 Apartments 426 S 500 E with 40 one bedroom apartments in six stories. Besides the incredibly creative name this building is apart of the First Step House facility that helps with drug/alcohol rehabilitation and has a good cause attached.
- Central Station West Apartments 577 W 200 S with ~65 units in 6 stories. The sister to the Central Station apartments that replaced the Thomas Electric building, this project will replace the Bottoms Up nightclub and music venue In The Venue and contains many of the same design elements.
- Jasmine Apartments 435 S 400 E ~36 units and 500sq ft of retail on the ground floor in with three stories total. Decent smaller scale infill with the larger 400 S projects to the north of it and maintains a good brick design.
- Gladhouse Townhomes 1680 S 1000 W with 10 townhomes. I like this one as it adds density and development to an area that hasn't really been on the radar of many developers recently.

Demolitions:

- Sears Building 754 S State St. We might finally be rid of the giant white box on State! They've only submitted demo applications so far, so it'll be interesting what they actually end up replacing it with since it is A LOT of space.
- Zephyr Building 69 W 300 S. Another eyesore that's been wanted gone for a while now and replaced with a glimmering skyscraper. Hopefully they don't wiggle their way into trying to put down a parking lot like they tried with the dirt patch to the east of the building. But who knows, maybe it'll be another 6 story 200 ft wide monolith with stucco and glazed windows

Parking Garages:

- Just one on this list but it's a doozy as Industry SLC have submitted their plans for a 90ft tall 7 story 926 stall parking garage in the Granary District. It's placed on a new mid block street called Elder Court that runs north-south between 400 W and 500 W and the developers plan on adding another pedestrian corridor between the garage and 500 W. Intended to be built so that the ground level could be easily converted to retail in the future similar to how Regent Street is currently set up. The purpose of the why it's so large is to act as a 'neighborhood' garage for other projects like the EVO Campus and the other buildings that are planned to dot the block.
(And here's the link if someone would be so kind as to post the pictures since I'm a pleb and don't know how)
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Others:

Some other miscellaneous stuff that I found interesting.
- There's been plans submitted for a self storage facility called Gateway Storage at 134 S 700 W. That's in between the highway and Frontrunner tracks on this weird little strip of 700 W. It's three stories with typical design but such an odd place for that.
- The developers behind the A&Z massive redevelopment have been consistently submitting plans for weeks now about little things like electrical work and fire lines which gives me more faith that they can really pull this off.
- Idk exactly what this is but a guy put in a residential building permit for something called "Haunted Hill House". It's in the Avenues at 633 E 10th Avenue and the only description is 'haunted house'. Weird.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:22 AM

Awesome update! Thank you.

Some questions for you:
1) Are there any images for the Sloane and Central Station West apartments?
2) What is the A&Z redevelopment?
3) Are there any images of the proposed highrise on the Zephyr block?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:00 AM

1) There haven't been any images released yet about the Sloane apartments but for Central Station West there's this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/187672...posted-public/
2) I must have had a mind slip or something but the A&Z redevelopment is now more formally known as the Post District. Building Salt Lake has their article about it here https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sal...-exist-before/
3) As for the Zephyr, no one really knows yet what'll replace the building, but with it being in the D1 zone on a prominent corner the best I can hope/guess is something over 100 and under 500. Totally specific right? But like I said the only thing anyone can do right now is speculate, so speculate we will.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:01 PM

Really bummed to hear that In The Venue will be gone. So many good memories of shows there over the years (I even performed there a couple times). All those buildings along 200 W are a loss IMO.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:53 PM

Some news regarding UTA's pending move to their new HQ building:

UTA may move into three floors of a proposed 12-story tower
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...ve-into-three/

Quote:
The Utah Transit Authority thinks it may have found a perfect tenant for part of a proposed 12-story office tower that it envisions for a new “transit-oriented development” at its Salt Lake City Central Station at 340 S. 600 West.
Quote:
A third option proposed by UTA executives is to move the headquarters into the planned new transit-oriented development at the nearby FrontRunner/TRAX station, specifically into three stories of a proposed 12-story office tower there.

“UTA’s portion would cost between $15.7 million and $20 million,” said Paul Drake, UTA director of real estate and transit-oriented developments.

UTA could own that portion of the building as sort of a condominium, and form a partnership that could allow it a share of leases paid by other tenants, he said.
Quote:
UTA executives said they would continue to work with the city’s redevelopment agency and possibly soon put out a request for proposals from developers interested in the TOD. Drake said the building could even be completed in about three years — with about 18 months needed for planning and other work, and 18 months for construction.
So at the bottom of the estimated 12 to 15 stories for the planned building but that may change over the next few months and during the RFP process.

Last edited by Makid; Mar 26, 2020 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:00 PM

So this building would go on the east side of 600 West - across the street from central station?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
So this building would go on the east side of 600 West - across the street from central station?
The UTA building should be on the west side and would be incorporated into an expanded Central Station.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:52 PM

There are no renderings of this 12 story tower?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:56 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
There are no renderings of this 12 story tower?
From BSL's article in January

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 10:16 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

The old Dees Resteraunt building at 143 W North Temple has been demolished.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
The old Dees Resteraunt building at 143 W North Temple has been demolished.
The JBs restaurant on the other side of the block just permanently closed. Hopefully it also gets demolished soon!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 11:53 PM

Anyone care to guess what this means. Is Property Reserve getting ready to move on developing that block finally? That would be great if true. Of course, this is probably just wishful thinking, but maybe that rainy day 100-plus billion portfolio will be dipped into a little to boost the local economy during these perilous times. That's pretty much what the LDS Church did during the last great recession with CCC. If anyone has a clue or an educated guess as to what might be about to happen to one of the local forums fondest development wishes let us know.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Anyone care to guess what this means. Is Property Reserve getting ready to move on developing that block finally? That would be great if true. Of course, this is probably just wishful thinking, but maybe that rainy day 100-plus billion portfolio will be dipped into a little to boost the local economy during these perilous times. That's pretty much what the LDS Church did during the last great recession with CCC. If anyone has a clue or an educated guess as to what might be about to happen to one of the local forums fondest development wishes let us know.
Since they are self funded the downturn shouldn’t effect them unless they expect a demand change for whatever the future of that land is. My guess is they will develop those two blocks as a BYU SLC campus. I think they will go all in with dorms, classrooms, meeting space and open space. They have long wanted to reassert more influence on the overall culture of downtown and I think this would be their best option.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 1:10 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPolitico View Post
The JBs restaurant on the other side of the block just permanently closed. Hopefully it also gets demolished soon!
That's actually a little bit sad to here. that place has been hanging in there for a long time... its to bad they could never bring themselves out of the 80's. They remind me a lot of shopko/kmart/sears. when I was little we use to eat there before going to Disney on ice at the salt palace... been years though.

I doubt they will tear it down. there isn't much else that could be done with the property unless they decided to do something with the old Howard Johnson hotel... witch quite honestly should also be demolished. Its a shame the LDS church owns that property. It would be a fantastic place for a modern hotel.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:24 PM

I would like to see a beautiful hotel to replace the Plaza. I imagine that there could be some kind of accommodation for those traveling from out of town who would like to stay close to Temple Square. Perhaps something along the line of the Temple Square Inn. Though keep in mind that the LDS Church would not be interested in a hotel as a commercial venture. They pretty much loathe being vested in the hotel business these days. Whatever the mixed-use of the blocks, I hope it will be of the same scope in size as CCC or even their recent development in Philadelphia. I assume the quality will be superb as all their developments are. Let's hope this movement is a sign of an upcoming major project for those blocks. The time couldn't be more fortuitous or needed on so many fronts than now, to place a major type of residential/educational concern downtown. Developing those monster parking lots is everyone's priority.

Actually, I keep wondering why they couldn't build a beautiful residential tower also. Not for sale but units for rent. I mean look at the Alexandria in Philadelphia. It could always go condo later on in a more advantageous market. Given the acute need for all types of residential rental including upscale, it would seem a given for some type of high-quality residential tower in the mix on those huge blocks. Towers could be accommodated on the North Temple side without blocking the Temple site line if indeed that is a concern. Does anyone actually know for certain if that whole site line rumor is nothing more than a myth? Kind of like the COB must always be the tallest structure downtown.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 27, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 2:24 PM

There are view corridors in the SLC Planning documents and the SLC Temple is part of the view corridor for North Temple.

The view corridor doesn't however block development. It just needs to be taken into consideration.

I do not think that we will see BYU Salt Lake expand much in the next few years. I do think we will see some growth on the blocks West of Temple Square to accommodate the changes occurring with LDS Business College. The College is being renamed to Ensign College later this year. The college will also begin to offer Bachelor Degrees.

The College will be increasing in overall size and enrollment over the next few years. This will lead to a need for additional student housing. The current student housing is within the Plaza hotel and that was done as a stop gap measure until plans could be finalized for a new building to house the students.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:16 PM

I saw plans a long time ago for those blocks for the church, and it was mostly mid-rise, ie. 3 to 4 story office or housing? with large garden/plazas in the middle. It was kind of an extension of the current temple square office block, but that the heights were kept down to protect the view corridor to the temple.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 4:49 PM

^^^
With your post Orlando and Makid's previous post brings things into focus. Perhaps, this is all about to happen a little sooner than we had anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There are view corridors in the SLC Planning documents and the SLC Temple is part of the view corridor for North Temple.

The view corridor doesn't however block development. It just needs to be taken into consideration.

I do not think that we will see BYU Salt Lake expand much in the next few years. I do think we will see some growth on the blocks West of Temple Square to accommodate the changes occurring with LDS Business College. The College is being renamed to Ensign College later this year. The college will also begin to offer Bachelor Degrees.

The College will be increasing in overall size and enrollment over the next few years. This will lead to a need for additional student housing. The current student housing is within the Plaza hotel and that was done as a stop gap measure until plans could be finalized for a new building to house the students.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West