Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
I think hipster duck was suggesting that the train shed should have been scrapped (he did say "rip out the entire track system and shed"). As you say, it is the station itself that matters. The shed is rather ugly and not worth saving IMHO.
The bigger problem is doing the upgrade in such a way as to allow trains to continue running. Possible, but much more expensive and time consuming. It still could be done today though.
|
Yeah, that's right. Everything other than the Great Hall/Headhouse is expendable.
I think they should have staged it in such a way that they completely closed off half of the shed and the underground supports, tore them out, rebuilt them to modern wide-platform standards, and then moved on. It would have been even more of a headache than today, but it would have paid off long term, because I don't see how GO will run a Parisian or Berlin-style RER system using the low floor, narrow bush shed platforms we have today.