HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Here's the latest video loftsixfour on Instagram posted about the Post District development. https://www.instagram.com/tv/B7_jooC...=1d0jjqp8q0grd
I love watching these flythroughs...all of the very fit digital people enjoying the amenities on the rooftops, the pools...and then there's one digital guy to the side in a hoodie looking down at his phone all depressed-like. It's nice to see me represented there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 5:24 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks UtPlanner.

Regarding the Post District, did the city require financial proof that they can build the proposed project before the demolition permit was approved?
No disrespect meant here Orlando. They did not require financial proof because it's not required via code. IMHO to require it would be a massive violation of their privacy rights and probably be illegal from a pure planning standpoint. The last thing we need is city planners going through peoples financials for demo permits. I think the vast majority of fallow projects are fallow because of market conditions of other concerns. Take your pick. Development is hard and involves hundreds of different variables (you know this well!). For example, the Held family are billionaires. And yet they own a block of weeds on one of the most important corners in the city.

Last edited by Marvland; Feb 8, 2020 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
No disrespect meant here Orlando. They did not require financial proof because it's not required via code. IMHO to require it would be a massive violation of their privacy rights and probably be illegal from a pure planning standpoint. The last thing we need is city planners going through peoples financials for demo permits. I think the vast majority of fallow projects are fallow because of market conditions of other concerns. Take your pick. Development is hard and involves hundreds of different variables (you know this well!). For example, the Held family are billionaires. And yet they own a block of weeds on one of the most important corners in the city.
Okay. I'm not sure that it is a violation of privacy, etc. as you claim. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, the developer has to show that they have financial proof that they can build their proposed project before knocking anything down. The city has an inherent interest in protecting the value of other adjacent properties and the vitality of itself. Also, a private land owner can't just build whatever they want in the city. They have to follow the city's land-use and zoning requlations and obtain building permits from the city. So , despite the fact that a private owner owns a piece of land, they still have to gain approval from the city to do anything on their property. My assumption is that Salt Lake City has just not been savvy enough in their demolition permits. I went through a process for a 22-story hotel in Tacoma where the city required that our Chinese clients show proof of financial viability. It was a back and forth game between the city and our client until our client finally showed proof of financial viability to build. This process began in 2013 and the hotel is almost finished now, but took a lot of stops and starts.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 12:14 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=UTPlanner;8824485]The project at 700 S. Main St. is a 241 unit multi-family residential project from PEG Development, https://pegcompanies.com/projects/seven-o2-main/.

Nice to see progress on this block. Any chance of seeing something mid block where the spacious parking lot is? How about leveling the garbage fronting State Street and starting over? (SE Side of Block)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:19 PM

Also posted over on the Transportation Thread. I thought this was pretty exciting news. Will be cool to follow it's growth and city additions. I hope to see Provo Municipal as one of its first locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I would say there is a 95% chance Breeze will use PVU for flights from Wasatch Front and a 50% chance SGU gets flights as well.

JetBlue founder unveils new, Utah-based ‘world’s nicest airline’

By Art Raymond, For the Deseret News - https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/2/...hwest-airlines

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Almost 20 years after disrupting the staid world of U.S. airline service with the launch of JetBlue, Utah native and serial air travel entrepreneur David Neeleman is back with another project.

And once again, he’s looking to shake things up.

On Friday, Neeleman announced the official name of his new carrier, Breeze Aviation, which will also be headquartered in Utah. The move completes a circle that brings Neeleman back to the place where he grew up and also made his first moves into the airline business.

While rumors of the new effort have been circulating for months under the “Moxy” moniker, the company locked down its brand and is moving forward with a timetable aiming to have planes in the air by the end of this year.

“Add a car, add a hotel, cancel a flight, make changes, it will all be there at your fingertips. Completely hassle-free flying.” — David Neeleman, air travel entrepreneur
Breeze will be the fifth carrier startup for a guy who’s built a reputation for being something of a market oracle when it comes to the airline industry. Neeleman’s previous endeavors include Utah-based Morris Air (acquired by Southwest in 1993), WestJet (currently the No. 2 Canadian carrier), JetBlue and Azul (currently No. 3 among Brazilian domestic carriers).

JetBlue founder and Utah-native David Neeleman unveiled the name of his new, Utah-based airline on Friday. Breeze Aviation will launch later this year with a new, high-tech platform and flights between currently underserved airports. Breeze Aviation

In an interview with the Deseret News, Neeleman said the impetus behind his continued interest in airline startups boils down to a penchant for recognizing opportunity, and acting on it.

“I never started an airline just to start an airline,” Neeleman said. “Right now, we see some pretty gaping holes in the industry.”

While Breeze has not yet announced potential routes, Neeleman’s plan is to identify and leverage nonstop flights between currently underserved airports. Right now, most major carriers require passengers traveling to and from second-tier airports to connect with a regional hub, then travel on to their ultimate destination. Breeze, Neeleman said, is looking to fill in the connection gaps left by an increasingly hub-focused system.

And, he thinks it can be done in a way that scores a win-win for passengers.

“We can cut the fare in half and get them there faster,” Neeleman said. “And we’re going to do it in a completely new way.”

That new approach, according to Neeleman, will prioritize a customer-centric system focused on making all the ins and outs of air travel, well, a breeze. That will include taking a page from the success of marketplace titans like Uber and Amazon, with an app-based toolkit that will allow passengers to find tickets, change or update travel plans, and add other travel necessities like rental cars and/or accommodations without ever having to deal with a customer service network.

"The goal is to have our customers ... never having to speak with anybody, if they don’t want to,” Neeleman said. “Add a car, add a hotel, cancel a flight, make changes, it will all be there at your fingertips. Completely hassle-free flying.”

And Neeleman has a track record for bringing big innovations into the realm of air travel. During a presentation at the recent Silicon Slopes Tech Summit in Salt Lake City, Neeleman noted that while Southwest Airlines is credited by the Smithsonian Institute as pioneering e-ticketless travel, the technology was actually first launched by his debut airline, Morris Air, and became the property of Southwest after the acquisition deal. JetBlue — which pioneered free, in-flight live television programming — and Azul launched service in dozens of Brazilian cities that had previously gone without an airline connection.

Breeze has ordered 60 brand-new Airbus 220-300 aircraft, with deliveries beginning in April 2021, and has leased 30 Embraer 195 aircraft from Azul, which will be delivered starting May 2020. The company said the A220 is ideally suited for nonstop flights between mid-size markets that Breeze expects to serve while the E195s can cost-effectively connect smaller markets.

Neeleman’s latest startup has already earned support from state leaders, with the Governor’s Office of Economic Development announcing a post-performance tax rebate package for the company late last year. The package could earn Breeze as much as $1.1 million in tax rebates on plans to make over $3 million in capital investments and hire about 370 new employees. At this point, Neeleman said he does not anticipate Breeze will be providing service in or out of Salt Lake City International Airport, but other Utah airports may be in the running for new routes.

“Twenty years ago, we brought humanity back to the airline industry with JetBlue,” Neeleman said in a statement. “Today, we’re excited to introduce plans for ‘the world’s nicest airline.’”

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 4:57 AM

So... when do we expect actual steel to rise on the three major towers going up right now?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:21 AM

CCH is still doing demo and excavation so that one is a ways out I would think. Liberty Sky looks to have the tower crane ready to go vertical soon and I don't know enough about the building process to know how close T8 is. I see lots of rebar that is formed into what I assume is the center elevator column, but maybe someone with some actual construction knowledge can chime in there.

I am getting excited to see them go vertical!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:12 AM

So whatever happened with the Embassy Suites that was supposed to be built on about 400 West and 600 South in Salt Lake?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
CCH is still doing demo and excavation so that one is a ways out I would think. Liberty Sky looks to have the tower crane ready to go vertical soon and I don't know enough about the building process to know how close T8 is. I see lots of rebar that is formed into what I assume is the center elevator column, but maybe someone with some actual construction knowledge can chime in there.

I am getting excited to see them go vertical!
In typical highrise construction, they will build the concrete core up ahead of the steel. Sometimes the core will be higher by as much as 10 stories or more. So, maybe after the core is up out of the ground by 5 stories or so, we might start seeing steel.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:31 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
In typical highrise construction, they will build the concrete core up ahead of the steel. Sometimes the core will be higher by as much as 10 stories or more. So, maybe after the core is up out of the ground by 5 stories or so, we might start seeing steel.
Yep like so:

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/0...update-18.html
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:50 AM

Nice and subtle

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:41 PM

Beginning this Friday morning at approximately 9 a.m. two north bound lanes of State Street, between 200 and 100 South, will be closed for three days, through the weekend, while Jacobson Construction erects a crane on the west side of the Liberty Sky project site. One north bound lane will remain open at all times. The pedestrian walkway will also be closed and the Ride UTA bus stop will be temporarily moved to the north end of the block, just south of the 100 South intersection. The closure, and work on the crane will be in effect 24 hours a day for the entire three day period. After the crane is in place both vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be restored, expected to be Monday, February 17, in the morning at 9 a.m.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:59 PM

Thanks for posting this Blah_Amazing. A lot of great info. for tracking down so many residential projects around the greater Wasatch Front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted on this forum before, but Berkadia releases quarterly reports on all the major multifamily housing projects from Ogden all the way down to Provo.

They just released their Q4 for 2019 a couple days ago: https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/...ap_Reduced.pdf

Here is also the link to the main page where they place the reports when they are released: https://www.berkadia.com/research-an...ipeline-report

They sort projects into 4 categories: lease up, under construction, planned, and prospective developments.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it in case any of you were curious.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Thanks for posting this Blah_Amazing. A lot of great info. for tracking down so many residential projects around the greater Wasatch Front.
On that note, do they have information from before 1 year ago or is that when they started doing it? That's as far back as the archive page goes.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 3:48 PM

Looks like SALT development is working on the next phase of the Hardware Station Development. From the planning commission email roundup:

1. Salt Lake Crossing at approximately 470 West 200 North - Salt Lake City has received a request from Brian Hobbs, with Salt Development, for approval of modifications to the design standards to construct a new mixed-use development. The standards proposed to be modified include: ground floor use other than parking along at least 80% of the street facing building facades, ground floor façade consisting of at least 60% glass, providing operable building entrances at least every 40’ on street facing facades, and the maximum length of a street facing façade of 200’. The project site is located in the TSA-UC-C (Transit Station Area Urban Center Core) zoning district and is located in Council District 3, represented by Chris Wharton (Staff Contact: Nannette Larsen at (801) 535-7645 or nannette.larsen@slcgob.com) PLNPCM2019-01106

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Looks like SALT development is working on the next phase of the Hardware Station Development. From the planning commission email roundup:

1. Salt Lake Crossing at approximately 470 West 200 North - Salt Lake City has received a request from Brian Hobbs, with Salt Development, for approval of modifications to the design standards to construct a new mixed-use development. The standards proposed to be modified include: ground floor use other than parking along at least 80% of the street facing building facades, ground floor façade consisting of at least 60% glass, providing operable building entrances at least every 40’ on street facing facades, and the maximum length of a street facing façade of 200’. The project site is located in the TSA-UC-C (Transit Station Area Urban Center Core) zoning district and is located in Council District 3, represented by Chris Wharton (Staff Contact: Nannette Larsen at (801) 535-7645 or nannette.larsen@slcgob.com) PLNPCM2019-01106
I think that's the location of the micro-unit project

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
On that note, do they have information from before 1 year ago or is that when they started doing it? That's as far back as the archive page goes.
They definitely used to be there. I've been using that site for a couple years now, so I don't know what happens to them.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 12:38 AM
Ironweed

Does anyone know if the Moda Lux is still on tap. Any start date?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Does anyone know if the Moda Lux is still on tap. Any start date?
There is a Pending building permit for the Moda Luxe. There was an update to the permit request on 1/27.

I think it is just working through the process and should be signed off fully soon.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 3:28 AM

Image update on the new SpyHop Building in the Central Ninth neighborhood, and a few other images from nearby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West