Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12
Changes coming to the Ontario bike Greenway:
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/ontario.aspx
I used to bike this a lot, and now I walk it a fair amount, at least this portion.
Ontario is one example of where a greenway/calmed street works much better than a dedicated bike lane, and it's very busy with bike traffic.
The 16th Ave crossing has always been a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 show for everybody, due to the off-alignment. The proposed change looks fine IMO. There's a park and elementary school there, we don't need people rat running around that area.
The changes at 5th and 6th are more interesting. Nothing but rule breaking cyclists and drivers in some of those intersections. I'd rather see more roundabouts.
|
As a fast but usually not rule breaking cyclist, I gotta say I just can't stand roundabouts. Half of the time drivers stop half way through the roundabout when they have the right of way. The other half of the time is an awkward seesaw between a cyclist riding at a steady speed and a car decelerating at each roundabout and speeding up in between, making it impossible for anyone to pass safely. And don't get me started on blind roundabouts located at the bottom of hills.
Diverters and short street closures are vastly better as they reduce vehicle volumes and don't induce the unsafe seesaw effect. The new diverter at 10th and Prince Edward has largely cleared up all the cyclist-vehicle conflicts on the narrow stretch of 10th between there and Fraser street.