Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays
Per typical, Cirrus and laniroj are saying basically what I would (and often better than I could). TakeFive, you keep confusing issues.
As for affordability, the two biggest issues might be these:
1. Very little land allows significant density, so the land that does is far more expensive than it should be.
2. Scarcity of close-in housing has meant an increasing premium for it (all kinds) in recent decades.
|
I understand you're on the same philosophical page.
But the reading comprehension around here is lacking. I originally responded to
laniroj whose comment was all over the map. He claimed we had a national housing crisis. Well there's no housing crisis in the Rust Belt and there's no housing crisis in the Sunbelt.
I've been speaking directly to the historical record and how and why we ended up where we now are. It's not just about downtown it the whole metro area
https://www.zillow.com/denver-co/home-values/
Quote:
|
The median home value in (metro) Denver is $451,513. The median price of homes currently listed in Denver is $465,000 while the median price of homes that sold is $438,900. The median rent price in Denver is $2,150,
|
The escalation in Denver prices (everywhere) has been on steroids in recent years as a direct result of the reasons I articulated.
The escalation in land prices in RiNo (for example) is a relatively recent event. Those early projects built along Brighton Blvd predated that as did many other projects. All of the apartments in or near downtown while called "luxury," there's really only a handful of legitimately higher end apartments like along Speer Blvd or in Union Station neighborhood. Most of the rest are tomorrow's more affordable housing, once they get a little age on them.
As to what 'should' happen that's a different kettle of fish. With regard to specific neighborhoods that's also a specific topic. There's a lot of assumptions being made based on a simplistic view of supply and demand but it's not that simple.
As for what you'd like to do it has nothing to do with me. It's about the citizen-voters of Denver.