HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6641  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:32 PM
enragedcamel enragedcamel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 520
So I walked from 10th and Rio Grande down to 4th St last night around 9 PM, and I was stunned by how... dead... our downtown is in the evenings.

I think the only people I ran into were a couple of guys waiting in line at a gyro food truck that I passed by.

Even the 6th and Rio Grande intersection didn't have any traffic.

I know it was a Monday evening and all, but I really really hope our downtown gains more vibrancy. I'd love to see more food trucks and 24/7 coffee shops for example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6642  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:17 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX / Portland,OR / Chicago, IL
Posts: 14,717
Crane going up for 1155 Barton Springs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6643  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:09 PM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Crane going up for 1155 Barton Springs
It's been what, ~12 years in the making?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6644  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:00 PM
zrx299 zrx299 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
So I walked from 10th and Rio Grande down to 4th St last night around 9 PM, and I was stunned by how... dead... our downtown is in the evenings.

I think the only people I ran into were a couple of guys waiting in line at a gyro food truck that I passed by.

Even the 6th and Rio Grande intersection didn't have any traffic.

I know it was a Monday evening and all, but I really really hope our downtown gains more vibrancy. I'd love to see more food trucks and 24/7 coffee shops for example.
You're looking for vibrancy at 9pm on a Monday night?
Lofty expectations...

More condos and apartments with middle-class friendly pricing would help, but I'm in no way advocating for artificial rent controls.

Need more supply, instead of building million+ dollar units for the ultra wealthy to park money into as a second home that sits dark 90% of the time. Those do absolutely nothing for the critical mass of live here/work here/play here crowd needed to fulfill your vision of 24/7 activity.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6645  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:10 PM
enragedcamel enragedcamel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
You're looking for vibrancy at 9pm on a Monday night?
Lofty expectations...

More condos and apartments with middle-class friendly pricing would help, but I'm in no way advocating for artificial rent controls.

Need more supply, instead of building million+ dollar units for the ultra wealthy to park money into as a second home that sits dark 90% of the time. Those do absolutely nothing for the critical mass of live here/work here/play here crowd needed to fulfill your vision of 24/7 activity.
I'd love to have neighborhoods like The Mission in our downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6646  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:35 PM
mostly_afk mostly_afk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 53
so. any idea where the atari hotel will go? downtown? or domain?

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/retro-lodg...-cities-including-seattle-san-francisco/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6647  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:57 PM
papertowelroll papertowelroll is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I'd love to have neighborhoods like The Mission in our downtown.
Nowhere in Austin is San Francisco (or ever will be), but try east 6th or Rainey?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6648  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 1:54 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
So I walked from 10th and Rio Grande down to 4th St last night around 9 PM, and I was stunned by how... dead... our downtown is in the evenings.

I think the only people I ran into were a couple of guys waiting in line at a gyro food truck that I passed by.

Even the 6th and Rio Grande intersection didn't have any traffic.

I know it was a Monday evening and all, but I really really hope our downtown gains more vibrancy. I'd love to see more food trucks and 24/7 coffee shops for example.
I'm not sure I necessarily agree here. It's not very busy on Monday's normally. In fact Monday is the quietest of the week with Tuesday evening a close second. But despite that considering 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago... DT is definitely more active on Monday's and Tuesdays than they once were (again take it in the context that Mondays are normally quiet). Also the area you walked along Rio Grand between 10th and 4th is not exactly a bustling part of DT even on the weekends, except the area between 6th and 4th, so that area isn't a good measurement compared to Congress Avenue, E 6th 2nd Street, Red River, Rainey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6649  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 1:58 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
so. any idea where the atari hotel will go? downtown? or domain?

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/retro-lodg...-cities-including-seattle-san-francisco/
Would rather have it DT.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6650  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:17 AM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is offline
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,281
Downtown for sure
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6651  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:20 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,835
Out by the airport if it looks like the Phoenix rendering.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6652  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:41 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
I was just thinking of COTA since the design of those red lines on the hotel reminds me of the observation tower at COTA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6653  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:04 AM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_afk View Post
so. any idea where the atari hotel will go? downtown? or domain?

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/retro-lodg...-cities-including-seattle-san-francisco/
As a classic video game collector, and being old enough to remember Atari in it's heyday... this is the coolest thing ever. Hope it's downtown. Would be cool if Classic Game Fest could be held there, but it's probably too big now.

I may have to visit all of them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6654  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:29 PM
austin242 austin242 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 591
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6655  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:38 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Man, it's just so kitschy. It feels completely disposable, like it should actually be a pop up hotel that evaporates after a 3 month run.

Since it's not, I vote for the I35 service road, just south of the Ben White interchange.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6656  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:35 PM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,565
After looking at their website, I’m thinking this is not going to happen. There is no hospitality experience in any of the groups involved, no funding mentioned, and kind of a nebulous Spring “break ground” for the first one in Phoenix. Plus are themed hotels even viable today? Seems like even Vegas is moving away from those. Investors would be skeptical.

Having seen many failed attempts since the 90s to revive the Atari Brand in some way or another, I’m thinking this is a rendering and a dream.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6657  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:43 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
You're looking for vibrancy at 9pm on a Monday night?
Lofty expectations...

More condos and apartments with middle-class friendly pricing would help, but I'm in no way advocating for artificial rent controls.

Need more supply, instead of building million+ dollar units for the ultra wealthy to park money into as a second home that sits dark 90% of the time. Those do absolutely nothing for the critical mass of live here/work here/play here crowd needed to fulfill your vision of 24/7 activity.
Also, Rio Grande isn't a very bumpin' street. You basically walked through a quiet neighborhood near downtown...so of course it's gonna be dead lol. There's definitely vibrancy downtown, just not Rio Grande.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6658  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:03 PM
urbancore urbancore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zilker
Posts: 1,643
208 W 4th St is under contract...its 2 buildings with Cedar Street Courtyard between them. It has 25/1 FAR possibility. The current leases expire 2027. It will be interesting to see what is done with this place. These buildings are gorgeous. I've spent a TON of time at Cedar Street, Saba, and Malaga...back in the day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6659  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:03 PM
427MM's Avatar
427MM 427MM is offline
Love Austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
You're looking for vibrancy at 9pm on a Monday night?
Lofty expectations...

More condos and apartments with middle-class friendly pricing would help, but I'm in no way advocating for artificial rent controls.

Need more supply, instead of building million+ dollar units for the ultra wealthy to park money into as a second home that sits dark 90% of the time. Those do absolutely nothing for the critical mass of live here/work here/play here crowd needed to fulfill your vision of 24/7 activity.
With you 100%! The new land development code will help with this much to the chagrin of the outspoken NIMBYs. Eliminating suburban-oriented compatibility and outdated on-site parking requirements will allow for much more attainably priced housing--something Austin's housing-deniers are losing their sh*t over. Let's hope we get it passed and implemented ASAP.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6660  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 5:33 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
208 W 4th St is under contract...its 2 buildings with Cedar Street Courtyard between them. It has 25/1 FAR possibility. The current leases expire 2027. It will be interesting to see what is done with this place. These buildings are gorgeous. I've spent a TON of time at Cedar Street, Saba, and Malaga...back in the day.
Does it include the Trulucks building?

I have to assume you'd need at least a full quarter block to build up to the max FAR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.