HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1621  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:39 PM
trev71's Avatar
trev71 trev71 is offline
Any where but Fredericton
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 393
Crazy I am in a similar situation for my May 7th flight. I now leave at 6am instead of 12pm. and my lay over in Toronto is 8 hours instead of 2. I would have never picked this if I knew. Changes online can not be made and calling says it could be a 2 hour wait. I got some time to figure it out. I am hoping they let me change my flight to Montreal, that way I leave around 6am and only have a two hour wait in Montreal instead of a 8 hour wait in Toronto.
Checked out their social media pages as well and seems we are not alone this is happening all over Canada
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1622  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:31 PM
homebody homebody is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post

May 1 also has Saint John flying rouge now.
I would not hold my breath on a May 1 change to Rouge. It was supposed to have happened in November and has be postponed at least twice since. I think it has to do with the 737 Max issues, AC has to shuffle aircraft around to fill the void. Right now quite happy with the 3 times daily service to Toronto. Perhaps if Rouge gets pushed out again we will get 4 times daily in the summer as we have in the past. Not a big fan of just twice daily once Rouge moves to Saint John.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1623  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:51 PM
ghYHZ ghYHZ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Antigonish NS
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
Here is the best scenario: Have one major airport in Fredericton close the other two in Moncton and Saint John. Fredericton is fairly equal driving distance from both cities and easily accessible from the northern part of the province. That would also give Moncton residents the option of Halifax that is a couple of hours away. We really only need one airport here in the province. I almost forgot. If the residents of Moncton didn't feel that was enough options then they could also cross over to Charlottown and use their airport which is roughly an hour away give or take.
Saint John and Fredericton once had a joint airport located at Blissville...about halfway between the two cities. It was served by TCA (Trans-Canada Airlines now Air Canada)

https://ourairports.com/airports/CA-0053/

And northeastern New Brunswick was served through Charlo and Chatham Airports. EPA (Eastern Provincial) once had a Boeing 737 that left Montreal....flew to Charlo......onto Chatham (Miramichi) hen returned to Montreal.

Air Nova started serving Bathurst around 1989.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1624  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:21 PM
mylesmalley's Avatar
mylesmalley mylesmalley is offline
Moderator / Supervillain
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 4,103
Imagine having a commuter train between Fredericton and Saint John with a stop halfway at a shared airport...
__________________
"When you go home tonight, there's gonna be another story on your house! "
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1625  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:45 PM
OliverD OliverD is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Imagine having a commuter train between Fredericton and Saint John with a stop halfway at a shared airport...
Even just a decent shuttle service to a shared airport would be great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1626  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 6:07 PM
Freddypop's Avatar
Freddypop Freddypop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Go Pats!
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
That would be my plan but their website is not allowing changes and you can not contact air Canada without waiting on hold for 2-3 hours. if you check on their facebook page its pretty bad everyone is having the same issues
I usually PM AC via social media ie Twitter and they respond and make changes within a few minutes

Last edited by Freddypop; Jan 24, 2020 at 7:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1627  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:51 PM
Bishop2047's Avatar
Bishop2047 Bishop2047 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
I would not hold my breath on a May 1 change to Rouge. It was supposed to have happened in November and has be postponed at least twice since. I think it has to do with the 737 Max issues, AC has to shuffle aircraft around to fill the void. Right now quite happy with the 3 times daily service to Toronto. Perhaps if Rouge gets pushed out again we will get 4 times daily in the summer as we have in the past. Not a big fan of just twice daily once Rouge moves to Saint John.
Normally I would be with you. But the reduced flight time is great. Just stepping off one back home and shaves 30 min off the travel time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1628  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:35 PM
homebody homebody is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Normally I would be with you. But the reduced flight time is great. Just stepping off one back home and shaves 30 min off the travel time.
Yes the time saved by jet service does make a difference in time between the two destinations. The downside is if you have to connect through Toronto to Fredericton and you land at 10 am in Toronto it’s a long wait for the evening flight home.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1629  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 5:04 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,326
Construction of the Altitude Bistro at the Greater Moncton Romeo LeBlanc International Airport is on schedule. Official opening will be in February.

__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1630  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:22 PM
NB_ExistsToo NB_ExistsToo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fredericton
Posts: 271
I have some connections to the lobster industry in NS, looks like the Coronavirus is effecting them. I've been told there's been a halt to lobster deliveries to China.

So I can only assume the lobster flights from Halifax and Moncton have stopped as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1631  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:11 PM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,055
As well the Chinese new years and festival season has now passed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1632  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:18 PM
lirette lirette is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,069
That upstairs bistro is a nice upgrade relatively speaking. The waiting area in YQM always felt sterile and crammed and just generally uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1633  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 1:01 AM
cl812's Avatar
cl812 cl812 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 1,513
Was checking my flight info for this Thursday and the yfc to yyz flight is on an A320 instead of the A319. Checked the schedule and reverts back to the A319 in mid Feb.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1634  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:43 PM
Freddypop's Avatar
Freddypop Freddypop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Go Pats!
Posts: 2,343
2019 PAX numbers for NB Airports as reported from the TJ

Airport 2019 2018 %Diff

YQM 674,406 681,437 -1.04
YFC 427,085 424,324 +0.65
YSJ 281,069 282,217 -0.41

Last edited by Freddypop; Jan 29, 2020 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1635  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:14 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,326


Disappointed to see the PAX actually went down at YQM last year. I had been hoping the passenger count might actually exceed 700k for the first time.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1636  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:25 PM
Freddypop's Avatar
Freddypop Freddypop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Go Pats!
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post


Disappointed to see the PAX actually went down at YQM last year. I had been hoping the passenger count might actually exceed 700k for the first time.
The issue for the decrease and/or meager increase is due to the B737 Max issues. What impacts YYZ and other larger airports has a trickle-down effect
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1637  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:59 PM
Bishop2047's Avatar
Bishop2047 Bishop2047 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 936
http://flypei.com/news/Charlottetown-Airport-Achieves-Another-Year-of-Growth

Charlottetown did well and passenger numbers up 3.4 percent to 383,183.

I am sure that increased flights out of Charlottetown has affected Moncton's numbers as well. Though I expect Moncton will bounce back quickly. Passenger numbers fluctuate and one negative year is not somthing to fret about.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1638  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:05 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I am sure that increased flights out of Charlottetown has affected Moncton's numbers as well. Though I expect Moncton will bounce back quickly. Passenger numbers fluctuate and one negative year is not somthing to fret about.
I honestly doubt there are that many PEIslanders flying out of YQM for domestic travel. Distance and the bridge toll provides a significant disincentive. Moncton however does have a much greater variety and selection of sun destinations than Charlottetown does, so I could see some bridge traffic based on that, but probably no more than 10,000 PAX or so.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1639  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:32 PM
homebody homebody is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I honestly doubt there are that many PEIslanders flying out of YQM for domestic travel. Distance and the bridge toll provides a significant disincentive. Moncton however does have a much greater variety and selection of sun destinations than Charlottetown does, so I could see some bridge traffic based on that, but probably no more than 10,000 PAX or so.
I tend to disagree with the distance and bridge toll would be the issue of keeping Islanders away from YQM for domestic travel. I think that they would have used YQM if they had no flight options. From Charlottetown to YQM is 1:54 and the toll is 40 bucks, and some places on the Island would be less distance than that. Charlottetown Airport is really starting to "take off" domestically as far as flight options go and frequency. That might be the reason YQM is losing numbers. I hope the same good fortune happens at YFC and YSJ soon. Rumour going around that YSJ is getting close to getting a direct flight to the States again. I will not hold my breath on that one though lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1640  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:49 PM
Bishop2047's Avatar
Bishop2047 Bishop2047 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 936
I am surprised that YFC did not take more of a hit. We did not have a direct morning flight to Toronto with AC for much of the year. I know I had to either fly West jet (not always my best option with connections), head to Montreal and connect, or go to SJ ( I had to about 40 percent of time last year).

I was surprised to see any growth to be honest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.