HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 11:28 PM
Pimpmasterdac's Avatar
Pimpmasterdac Pimpmasterdac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London
Posts: 699
Another year, same NIMBY sob story. This city has made a formal offer to buy her home buy January 31 and have, her move out by March 31. Doesn't sound like she'll accept it, expropriation will be coming down shortly.

While its good getting updates CTV London really seems to be pining this NIMBY and her never end sob story. City made a decision, was appealed to Environment Ministry and rejected. Let not drag this out any longer than it already has been.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/senior-says-fi...ARq_uJrB6F16aaCPTQuHPuKJ--x3YSUxDcQJCt6k
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 1:36 PM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post

Let not drag this out any longer than it already has been.


Her daughter and supporters said they will chain themselves to her bed/walls when the dozers arrive. This is going to end ugly... I can't see a more optimistic result at this point. The city has done anything and everything within and beyond it's means to accommodate her.
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:47 PM
Djeffery's Avatar
Djeffery Djeffery is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 6,275
"Pollinator Garden", is this a new phrase? Is that what we are calling "not maintaining your yard" now? If I let my yard go like that, the city would be on my ass about it. And now she is trying to make a big deal that if the city moves her house, they will sell it back to her. Well, the original idea was to just move the damn house, the city wasn't going to buy it from her, move it and let her have it back for nothing.

If she had played ball over the last 2 years, she probably either would have a) got more for the house to just go away, or b) agreed to it being moved and the city probably would have paid her expenses, put her up someplace for however long it would take to get her settled back in the house after it moved. Hell you even had city councillors say they would help move her precious weed infested garden. Now, the city is clamping down. They are going to pay her fair market value, and if she wants to the house back across the road, she can buy it back, and it probably will be worth more over there than what they pay her.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:34 PM
MrSlippery519 MrSlippery519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,180
It is unfortunate but I think this lady has been given some terrible advise along the way about this process. Like others have said the city has really bent over backwards trying to accommodate moving the house, in addition to a number of other things.
This will not end nicely, they can chain themselves to the bed but I expect the city will have to remove this person and they will be left with no house and most likely a much lower number than they were previously offered as compensation.

I also do not see any valid counter arguments that she is putting forward. The "garden" is a weed infested mess that no one is maintaining. The house appears to be in okay shape but the rest of the property not maintained. The city cannot expand the road the other way as it would cause alignment issues which would create the need to purchase even more property and add a tremendous amount of cost. Same with the roundabout comment, personally I am all for roundabouts however it would not work well at this intersection as the rail is in the way. Again that would require even more land purchases and likely would cost double if not more (plus having to plan the entire project over again).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:02 PM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,478
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 7:22 PM
K85's Avatar
K85 K85 is offline
Sanity merchant
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 550
whos up for standing there with signs saying tear it down?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 8:42 PM
jammer139 jammer139 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Posts: 9,235
Not sure where they counted 40? Based on TV footage at most maybe 2 dozen. I'm sure they friends and family.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 12:07 AM
Pimpmasterdac's Avatar
Pimpmasterdac Pimpmasterdac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London
Posts: 699
Complete lunacy. She's had years to accept the inevitable, and either have her home moved at city expense, or go to a nicer one. Her selfish and stubbornness has held up this vital project for way too long. The fact the local media in London keep pining this story is the only reason git gets any attention.

Thankfully sanity has finally prevailed, expropriation request is going to be rubber stamped by council Tuesday. Proceedings to begin shortly after!

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=70523

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:22 AM
K85's Avatar
K85 K85 is offline
Sanity merchant
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 550
does that mean she'll be forcibly removed? Can I go watch?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:39 AM
Djeffery's Avatar
Djeffery Djeffery is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
Complete lunacy. She's had years to accept the inevitable, and either have her home moved at city expense, or go to a nicer one. Her selfish and stubbornness has held up this vital project for way too long. The fact the local media in London keep pining this story is the only reason git gets any attention.

Thankfully sanity has finally prevailed, expropriation request is going to be rubber stamped by council Tuesday. Proceedings to begin shortly after!

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=70523
Has she held up the project though? Has it ever been said the city would have done this any earlier if not for her house being there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 1:27 PM
bolognium's Avatar
bolognium bolognium is offline
bro
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, ON
Posts: 581
I wonder how many of those protesters drove their cars under that bridge to get to Stanley.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:29 PM
Pimpmasterdac's Avatar
Pimpmasterdac Pimpmasterdac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London
Posts: 699
Big time, when the city completed the EA in 2018 she appealed to the Ministry of the Environment on insubstantial and flimsy arguments at best, which held up the process by a year. MOE found no based for her appeal was roundly rejected.

Holding out and refusing a very generous negotiation settlement is her last stand, as expropriation she'll lose both the property and a chance to move the home across the road. It's gonna happen either way, she's just making a big stink in delaying the inevitable.

This project will significantly improve traffic both on Horton & Wharncliffe, been on the books for decades. Time to finally get shovels in ground and make it a reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Has she held up the project though? Has it ever been said the city would have done this any earlier if not for her house being there?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:46 PM
Djeffery's Avatar
Djeffery Djeffery is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
Big time, when the city completed the EA in 2018 she appealed to the Ministry of the Environment on insubstantial and flimsy arguments at best, which held up the process by a year. MOE found no based for her appeal was roundly rejected.

Holding out and refusing a very generous negotiation settlement is her last stand, as expropriation she'll lose both the property and a chance to move the home across the road. It's gonna happen either way, she's just making a big stink in delaying the inevitable.

This project will significantly improve traffic both on Horton & Wharncliffe, been on the books for decades. Time to finally get shovels in ground and make it a reality!
I don't think I've ever seen any date from the city stating they were planning to start this project in 2016, 2017, 2018, pick a year. It's always been an early 2020's project that I recall being talked about (regardless of how long ago most of us think the city should have built many road projects that are still in the wings). If she had agreed from the outset a few years ago to willingly sell and move wherever, I don't think that project would be done or underway by now. The city buys up properties for years before construction starts (like the many they have bought for BRT, in some cases in areas they aren't even planning to do BRT anymore). They are just at the point where it needs to be resolved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:00 PM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,478
At least businesses being expropriated aren't putting up a fight. They know the end is nigh, and just want a fair value for their buildings.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/ci...businesses-on-wharncliffe-road-1.5442397
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:11 PM
Djeffery's Avatar
Djeffery Djeffery is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 6,275
I wouldn't say they "aren't putting up a fight", or the deals would be done before expropriation is needed. But true that at least the guy quoted realizes it's going to happen and it's just down to the dollars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 12:43 AM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,478
Thank gawd... decision to expropriate 100 Stanley Street unanimous

https://london.ctvnews.ca/decision-to-ex...-CiZ7q_ftNj-KJ3ol2UQMOpA-K2jDOE1Fk1JUdbY
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 1:02 AM
jammer139 jammer139 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Posts: 9,235
Common sense prevails. On the other hand the half collapsed barn in Byron was designated. I don't want a cent of city taxes spent on rebuilding this barn. And the owner should leave it to rot to the ground.


Vito and Southside is doing the same with the building on King St. Mother Nature will do the job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 1:12 AM
Pimpmasterdac's Avatar
Pimpmasterdac Pimpmasterdac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London
Posts: 699
About fuckin time!!

If you watch the CTV clip, funny how she's all of the sudden interested in the city's offer to move the property now...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:31 AM
TallerIsBetter TallerIsBetter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 182
She does not deserve the house move option. Never did. Should should have had an over-market offer plus generous moving expenses, and she should have taken that. Now she should get market value and nothing else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:10 AM
Djeffery's Avatar
Djeffery Djeffery is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Thank gawd... decision to expropriate 100 Stanley Street unanimous

https://london.ctvnews.ca/decision-to-ex...-CiZ7q_ftNj-KJ3ol2UQMOpA-K2jDOE1Fk1JUdbY
I'm actually surprised there wasn't one or 2 bleeding hearts on council trying to grandstand. Harder to do that now that it's just a cast vote instead of the hands up like it used to be. Then, they could count how many hands are up, know that a motion is going to pass, and then vote against it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.