HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14181  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 8:03 PM
Tetsuo Tetsuo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,382
Don't have to buy a lot of Christmas stuff annually.

Buy a set/decorations once, stash away for next year.

Unlike Halloween, where people tend to replace yearly their costumes
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14182  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 2:16 AM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Uncle Tetsu Cheesecake store is opening up on Robson: same block and side as where London Drugs is. Be prepared for a new line-up location. Interesting that the businesses doing well are the Asian-type bakeries, eateries and cafes. While international retail chains are failing here on Robson, the many food and beverage businesses seem to be thriving along this street, and replacing the traditional retail businesses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14183  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 3:00 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Uncle Tetsu Cheesecake store is opening up on Robson: same block and side as where London Drugs is. Be prepared for a new line-up location. Interesting that the businesses doing well are the Asian-type bakeries, eateries and cafes. While international retail chains are failing here on Robson, the many food and beverage businesses seem to be thriving along this street, and replacing the traditional retail businesses.
That area of Robson has been littered with empty storefronts for years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14184  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:08 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Fashion and hard goods (electronics) are stuff that people can buy on-line.
Food services can't be - that's why so many malls are moving towards huge food courts, market districts and entertainment venues.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14185  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 3:07 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Fashion and hard goods (electronics) are stuff that people can buy on-line.
Food services can't be - that's why so many malls are moving towards huge food courts, market districts and entertainment venues.
True. I buy a lot of things online but I’d still never buy clothing, unless I’d previously purchased the same item, knowing that it fit and what it looked like in person.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14186  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 3:11 PM
cairnstone cairnstone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Uncle Tetsu Cheesecake store is opening up on Robson: same block and side as where London Drugs is. Be prepared for a new line-up location. Interesting that the businesses doing well are the Asian-type bakeries, eateries and cafes. While international retail chains are failing here on Robson, the many food and beverage businesses seem to be thriving along this street, and replacing the traditional retail businesses.
There is so many ESL living in that area so all the asian eateries are reeping the rewards
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14187  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:42 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
I went to COS one evening last week, besides me and my friend it was all staff inside. Indigo across the street was busy as were most of the store at about that time. The new retail building going up is quite big.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14188  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:47 PM
supercanuck supercanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 94
Been to the Sungiven in City Square Mall a few times recently and it is very quiet in there. Selection is slim and prices are average at best. (I was only there to get my parking validated too.) I wonder how long it can survive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14189  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:07 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
Maybe I am mistaken but I thought they were more like a whole foods type store just the Chinese version. Higher-end with mainly Organic or healthy foods.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14190  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:13 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
I found Sungiven Foods' pricing a bit hit and miss.
I thought produce and meat were expensive, but multi-packs of ramen were reasonable and oddly, Eggo waffles were reasonable as well.
I doesn't help that the store looks sparsely stocked.

Also, apparently the $7-8 mango I saw in there is a special Australian variety that is very sweet, but for those unaware, without explanatory signage, it paints a picture of being stupidly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
True. I buy a lot of things online but I’d still never buy clothing, unless I’d previously purchased the same item, knowing that it fit and what it looked like in person.
Agreed. Clothing only if you know the brand and fit.
Although I've bought stuff online from Hudson's Bay when they have free shipping because returns are easy at their stores.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14191  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:44 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I found Sungiven Foods' pricing a bit hit and miss.
I thought produce and meat were expensive, but multi-packs of ramen were reasonable and oddly, Eggo waffles were reasonable as well.
I doesn't help that the store looks sparsely stocked.

Also, apparently the $7-8 mango I saw in there is a special Australian variety that is very sweet, but for those unaware, without explanatory signage, it paints a picture of being stupidly expensive.

Agreed. Clothing only if you know the brand and fit.
Although I've bought stuff online from Hudson's Bay when they have free shipping because returns are easy at their stores.
How about the cooked food section, any good?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
There is so many ESL living in that area so all the asian eateries are reeping the rewards
Unreal to think that ESL folks or foreigners are keeping this region's major shopping street alive. Says a lot about this city, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
That area of Robson has been littered with empty storefronts for years.
Not sure if the City has a hand in this, but I notice back in the days landlords of premises east of Bute Street never leased out their CRUs to food and beverage businesses, but with so many vacancies of late, more F&B, especially the Asian ones, are popping up to take over.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I went to COS one evening last week, besides me and my friend it was all staff inside. Indigo across the street was busy as were most of the store at about that time. The new retail building going up is quite big.
Went there once during Boxing week and noticed that the clothes only look good on you if you are in a K-pop girl or pretty boy band. Certainly not my cup of tea. Zara, here I come again.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14192  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:47 PM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Agreed. Clothing only if you know the brand and fit.
Although I've bought stuff online from Hudson's Bay when they have free shipping because returns are easy at their stores.
But with the return policies (by mail) I think there are people that don't really care if it fits or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14193  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 9:24 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
But with the return policies (by mail) I think there are people that don't really care if it fits or not.
Amazon Prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
How about the cooked food section, any good?
It wasn't open when I was there - soon after the store opened.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14194  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:45 PM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
"Unreal to think that ESL folks or foreigners are keeping this region's major shopping street alive. Says a lot about this city, doesn't it?"

I think it says more about the nature of street retail now, rather than about our city. Retail is being slammed all over the place, in other cities and countries it is malls that get decimated. Our malls are doing well, and so this "high street" has been struggling. I certainly don't think it speaks to the City itself at this point. Although there is a bigger problem with taxation, triple net leases, and other factors that could help these situations. Landlords who don't care about getting the space leased and continue to demand exorbitant rents are awful, the City should tax them with an empty space fee to enourage rents to be more in line with what retailers are willing to pay
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14195  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:49 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Could just signal Robson (at least the western stretch) returning to neighbourhood street status.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14196  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 11:29 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Could just signal Robson (at least the western stretch) returning to neighbourhood street status.
By that, permit me, I assume you mean just a regular neighbourhood street, groceries, pharmacies, and retail for the immediate neiughbourhood, a minimal attempt at snazz. yes / no?
Alberni, of course has stolen Robson's thunder, if you will, but now what is left undone is the refurbishing of Alberni. Is the Prada telephone pole still there? Any new sidewalks, planting....
Regarding zahav's remark about malls failing in other parts of the world but doing well here, I think that if Alberni - & immediate environs - were smartly redone, it could be a successful counterpoint to malls, and be the inspiration for other retail streets elsewhere in the city to go all-out in being interesting and charming.
Excuse me if I strayed off the topic of Robson itself, but the two are interlinked somehow, and IMHO it is time to address the redoing of Alberni to make it truly ... (gaaak - that word...)
World Class
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14197  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 11:38 PM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
I totally agree re: Alberni, they need to majorly step up improvements there considering the type of road it is supposed to be now. It wouldn't even take much, very cosmetic things could do a lot. They are doing major upgrades to Richards now, but that is bike related so of course it takes priority lol, it is Vancouver after all.

But really the emptying of Robson has been happening for a long time and is a general retail phenomenon, I think it's held up better than I thought it would.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14198  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:43 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
By that, permit me, I assume you mean just a regular neighbourhood street, groceries, pharmacies, and retail for the immediate neiughbourhood, a minimal attempt at snazz. yes / no?
Yup - like Cambie Village or Kerrisdale
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14199  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:07 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
But with the return policies (by mail) I think there are people that don't really care if it fits or not.
Returning things is a hassle. Sometimes I buy things and then forget to return them or don’t even bother because it feels like a waste of time. I’m not proud of that occasional habit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14200  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:00 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yup - like Cambie Village or Kerrisdale
Yeah, I'm cool with that. It could be a neighbourhood street and also be very pleasant if unostentatiosly so. What concerns me is the seeming lack of progress on Alberni, or am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.