Ok, so sounds like HRM doesn't want Shannon Park for the location.
Time to revive this thread.
Neither do I. If the Stadium gets built then put it above the Costco in Dartmouth Crossing to give Travel options, Shopping options and accommodation options all within walking distance. Shannon Park is literally a dead end but also a green field Planning and Social justice experiment for Very untried Transit and other social idea's. Shannon Park is also — cold in the Summer when the southerly winds change in late June.
The Woodside option seems the best, if it isn't on the peninsula. IMO. Everything from transit, to highway infrastructure is already there, and there is plenty of space available, with views that don't include a generating station. Downtown will benefit, the ferry service would as well, on top of building up Dartmouths other waterfront area.
I've always been partial to Dartmouth Crossing. Lot's of highway options for access/egress, parking should be easily addressable and transit could be enabled.
What about the old Prison lands in the north end - now called the Pit!!! or... with the redevelopment of the Cogswell Lands, something there, surrounded by high-rises....
haha very true! I really wish they could move that Canada Post Facility. I think this would a great location and you could incorporate it with the new Halifax Forum redevelopment!
How big is that land? I mean, it wouldn't fit in the same orientation as the old picture because there are buildings where part of that old field was, but would it fit turned 90 degrees? Certainly seems like a better location all around, from a local transit perspective, as well as access from the bridges. I don't know what you do about parking there, but when people leave, they will go in many directions, whereas from Shannon Park, they will all be going one way for quite a bit. People from Dartmouth will probably find it quicker to drive back from the Forum area than trying to get out of Shannon Park.
How big is that land? I mean, it wouldn't fit in the same orientation as the old picture because there are buildings where part of that old field was, but would it fit turned 90 degrees? Certainly seems like a better location all around, from a local transit perspective, as well as access from the bridges. I don't know what you do about parking there, but when people leave, they will go in many directions, whereas from Shannon Park, they will all be going one way for quite a bit. People from Dartmouth will probably find it quicker to drive back from the Forum area than trying to get out of Shannon Park.
You're right it would have to be oriented the other way between Windsor and Robie Streets. There is also the land where Piercy's use to be and could move Shoppers Drug Mart and Rona and incorporate the Halifax Forum redevelopment into a new stadium complex perhaps. I feel it could be similar type setup to Lansdowne in Ottawa maybe.
I really would like a stadium location not out in the outskirts of metro but in Mainland Halifax, as mentioned above would be great... the stadium could be built on top of a parkade... Hotels and restaurants would already be within short distances... and if built on the mainland, transit, taxis and walking would be possible...
Interesting. I wonder what the cost would be to relocate the Canada Post facility?
That's the question. It would probably be expensive and you would have to deal with Canada Lands no doubt. I think if the political will was there it could be done but not sure that it is unfortunately.
Is Canada Post planning to move out of there, or is that just a dream people have regarding the stadium location? It's a great location as we've discussed, but if CP isn't actually planning to go somewhere else, it's going to take tens of millions of dollars to make it happen. Considering the talk seems to keep cheapening out on the stadium, I don't know how well increasing the cost of the stadium by upwards of 50% is going to go.
Is Canada Post planning to move out of there, or is that just a dream people have regarding the stadium location? It's a great location as we've discussed, but if CP isn't actually planning to go somewhere else, it's going to take tens of millions of dollars to make it happen. Considering the talk seems to keep cheapening out on the stadium, I don't know how well increasing the cost of the stadium by upwards of 50% is going to go.