Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I keep thinking there may be advancements in technology in terms of boring tunnels that will make tunneling for projects like the Millenium line extension more economically feasible at the same time giving taxpayers more mileage per dollar spent on infrastructure.
|
I would sincerely doubt that there will be any significant advancements in technology. Besides, there is already one way to dig tunnels cheaper: cut-and-cover. And IMO, it would be fine to cut-and-cover after Arbutus as we need to get this extension DONE and it would create less hell on Broadway west of Arbutus.
Based on my speculation, and not based on any engineering knowledge; if the UBC extension would follow Broadway then I could see it surfacing and continuing as elevated around the Jericho Lands OR elevating in the centre when it reaches Chancellor BLVD. Elevating the Skytrain at some point when it comes to UBC (or ASAP) would save tunneling costs and it would also be something that the UBC students and faculty wouldn't fight against.