HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Sun Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 11:54 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for this; but there is definitely activity on the island.

SFTIDA - https://twitter.com/SFTIDA/status/970787780505698304

Also if you go on Google Street View you can see demolition going on in early 2017.

Last edited by Fvn; Mar 12, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:17 PM

this will be a nice addition.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:39 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:36 AM

According to https://sftreasureisland.org/construction -- Looks like "vibratory compaction". I'm always impressed with pre-construction terminology.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:18 AM

Currently...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:50 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe we've missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with the Treasure Island development? Just seems like building a tall lone tower amid random shorter ones and just the overall vision of residential housing (don't get me wrong, I know we need more housing) is short-sighted. When you're presented with an opportunity to develop something on an extraordinary piece of land uniquely situated facing one of the world's most beautiful urban landscapes, you don't drop the ball and build something mundane. Not saying the Lucas Museum was the answer, but something amazing for locals (and tourists) would've been nice to have in that spot. I mean, it was built to host a freaking World's Fair!!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observatory View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else believe we've missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with the Treasure Island development? Just seems like building a tall lone tower amid random shorter ones and just the overall vision of residential housing (don't get me wrong, I know we need more housing) is short-sighted. When you're presented with an opportunity to develop something on an extraordinary piece of land uniquely situated facing one of the world's most beautiful urban landscapes, you don't drop the ball and build something mundane. Not saying the Lucas Museum was the answer, but something amazing for locals (and tourists) would've been nice to have in that spot. I mean, it was built to host a freaking World's Fair!!
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember alternate plans that included additional active space but was eventually abandoned with consideration to infrastructure issues and stresses. As it stands they're already proposing a toll for auto and are trying to figure out how to encourage mass transit alternatives to mitigate unwanted traffic.

In terms of the boring tower(s); not only do they yield higher dollar units, but they also maximize density without sprawl. I'd say it's far more feasible approach to building out the island and limit the amount of deep (and super expensive) drilling and anchoring to bedrock.

In all, I think the open space, as well as a good restaurant or brewery, will be plenty of a draw for tourists and locals.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:56 PM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 4:38 AM

^ someone got a chance to go to the tower Ohana Floor?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 5:52 AM

Haha, yes I did!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:11 AM
heavy user of walkability

these don't have the nice perspectives of a lot of the recently posted shots, but at least show that activity is certainly ongoing

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:49 AM

Quote:
First chunk of Treasure Island megaproject breaks ground
By Fiona Kelliher – Real estate reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Jun 11, 2019, 10:15am EDT

Across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco, the former naval base on Yerba Buena Island remains home only to trees, winding roads and the occasional seagull.

Soon, though, the often-forgotten island will look startlingly different. Developer Wilson Meany and partner Stockbridge Capital Group will begin vertical construction this week on 266 luxury homes, a number of walking trails, parks and a private spa and clubhouse.

In other words, the developers want Yerba Buena’s roughly 150 acres to serve as an oasis for tech executives, retirees and families to “live larger” and immerse themselves in nature, as Chris Meany, partner with Wilson Meany, put it . . . .

The homes will be the first of 8,000 built across both Yerba Buena and its larger, man-made neighbor, Treasure Island, after the military outpost closed more than 20 years ago. Along with Wilson Meany and Stockbridge, Miami-based Lennar Corp. is masterplanning the overall project.

On Yerba Buena, a series of villas and flats — all facing the San Francisco skyline — will edge down the hill from a 6-acre park at the peak. Meanwhile on the other side of the island, a 124-unit condo complex will overlook the Bay Bridge and the Berkeley-Oakland shoreline. BDE Architecture, Walter Hood Design, Hart Howerton and CMG Landscape Architecture collaborated on designs . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...ZRUWMifQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:38 AM
heavy user of walkability

wha?

somehow I totally missed this

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:05 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
somehow I totally missed this
WOW‼️ I wonder what the chances of this actually happening are. It’s a stimulating concept in multiple ways.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:19 PM

LOL...zero chance that happens. Complete pie in the sky wishful thinking from a handful of folks with few resources.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:41 PM

Damn.... at 700' too? That would make it the world's tallest ferris wheel. That sure is some wishful thinking and I think it would be a new amazing landmark in the Bay Area if it ever gets built.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:06 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
WOW‼️ I wonder what the chances of this actually happening are. It’s a stimulating concept in multiple ways.
Quote:
At 700 feet in diameter and 728 feet in total height, the Golden Gate Flyer would have been taller than the 550-foot High Roller (currently the world’s tallest Ferris wheel).

That proposal . . . remains stuck in limbo.
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/12/12/210...e-park-sf-when

However, we ARE getting a 150 footer:

A giant 150-foot ferris wheel is coming to Golden Gate Park
Rides will cost $18

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 7:16 PM

Wow. This would be an amazing addition. I’ve always wondered why San Francisco didn’t have a ferries wheel. It seems like all major cities have one. I like how ambitious this group is by proposing the worlds largest ferries wheel. Back in the day San Francisco was always about breaking records, making things bigger and stronger, now we have become subtle. This brings us back to our roots and I hope it come to fruition.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:34 AM
Surrounded by Nature

That’s really puny for well known observation wheels! I was at the Singapore Flyer today and it’s just over 541 feet. The London Eye is 443 feet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development