HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11921  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:12 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
From yesterday while studying at the library...


Library Skyline by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Nov 26, 2019 at 7:44 PM. Reason: Better
     
     
  #11922  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:35 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
^Great pic......

What are you studying?

I'm also trying to study as we speak. Damn Skyscraperpage lol.
     
     
  #11923  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:40 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
^Great pic......

What are you studying?

I'm also trying to study as we speak. Damn Skyscraperpage lol.
haha no doubt!

I'm majoring in Urban Studies and specializing in sustainability. Was just reading a 400-page book about the coverup (both soviet and global) of the Chernobyl Nuclear Catastrophe. One of the best books I've ever read actually, but it really pisses me off at the same time. The book is for my Anthropology of Sustainability class.
     
     
  #11924  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:55 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
haha no doubt!

I'm majoring in Urban Studies and specializing in sustainability. Was just reading a 400-page book about the coverup (both soviet and global) of the Chernobyl Nuclear Catastrophe. One of the best books I've ever read actually, but it really pisses me off at the same time. The book is for my Anthropology of Sustainability class.

Very interesting subject. I think i've seen all documentaries about this.
     
     
  #11925  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:06 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
The tourists going to Pripyat to take selfies to post online is pretty pathetic too.
     
     
  #11926  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:16 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
I'd go to Pripyat if I could, would be an interesting and haunting experience, and would make me appreciate where I live even more.

Great shot Chad, skyline looks amazing from there, now if only they would finish that top corner of Telus Sky...
     
     
  #11927  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:26 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
To clarify, I welcome people to go there as a thought provoking experience. It's those that are disrespectful, treating it as a stop on a bucket list I cannot stand.
     
     
  #11928  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:27 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
To clarify, I welcome people to go there as a thought provoking experience. It's those that are disrespectful, treating it as a stop on a bucket list I cannot stand.
You could say that about global tourism in general.
     
     
  #11929  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:34 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I'd go to Pripyat if I could, would be an interesting and haunting experience, and would make me appreciate where I live even more.

I'd go as well, I'm a sucker for ghost towns and that's a whole city. they also give tours now of the power-plant itself but I would never do that.
     
     
  #11930  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:39 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
You could say that about global tourism in general.
True. I guess because this was a major event from my youth and the residents of this company town paid a hefty toll
     
     
  #11931  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:49 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 10,725
     
     
  #11932  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:25 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Hmm. I've never seen that big white building in the Lower Donlands. What's it for?
     
     
  #11933  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:29 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is offline
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Hmm. I've never seen that big white building in the Lower Donlands. What's it for?

IIRC it's some sort of staging / prefabrication site for the reconstruction of the Eastern leg of the Gardiner.

EDIT - found it: https://www.toronto.com/news-story/95494...ation-yard-for-east-gardiner-rehab-work/
     
     
  #11934  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:00 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
haha no doubt!

I'm majoring in Urban Studies and specializing in sustainability. Was just reading a 400-page book about the coverup (both soviet and global) of the Chernobyl Nuclear Catastrophe. One of the best books I've ever read actually, but it really pisses me off at the same time. The book is for my Anthropology of Sustainability class.
the catastrophe where 30 people died? people love anti-nuclear propaganda, which is really all that it is. guess how many people have died related to fossil fuel extraction
     
     
  #11935  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:03 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
47 people died in one accident related to crude in Lac-Megantic, just a reminder
     
     
  #11936  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:08 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
the catastrophe where 30 people died? people love anti-nuclear propaganda, which is really all that it is. guess how many people have died related to fossil fuel extraction
Are you actually posting this? A full nuclear disaster isn't really a big deal? that area will be abandoned for another 40 000 or so years if they can't remove the melted down core. Some people...
     
     
  #11937  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:14 PM
Hawrylyshyn's Avatar
Hawrylyshyn Hawrylyshyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
the catastrophe where 30 people died? people love anti-nuclear propaganda, which is really all that it is. guess how many people have died related to fossil fuel extraction
lol what a tool.
     
     
  #11938  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:59 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
lol what a tool.
Any chance to push an agenda...
     
     
  #11939  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:27 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
the catastrophe where 30 people died? people love anti-nuclear propaganda, which is really all that it is. guess how many people have died related to fossil fuel extraction
Lol you're a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 This entire book is literally about how people like you who believe the propaganda think only 30 (actual fabricated number is 42) people died in the disaster, and really I suppose, also how people like you have propped up the international coverup of the disaster continuing to this day, in order to protect governments which committed nuclear tests against their own people (atmospheric detonations in Nevada US, French Polynesia and Algeria, Kazakhstan, India, and Pakistan), basically entirely at the behest of the security council by appointing only physicists and not physicians to the international bodies governing radiation exposure. In reality, the catastrophe has led to countless radiation-related illnesses and deaths over the decades, including literally millions of stillbirths and children dead before 28 days old, thousands of children with thyroid cancer, hundreds of thousands of square kilometers highly contaminated (including Kyiv), among a ton of other insanity. Four million people still live in areas of unacceptable levels contamination, but nothing is being done about it. Maybe try reading... since clearly you're the one buying into propaganda. I was a proponent of the nuclear power industry before reading this and seeing the extreme level of detail the author delves into regarding the Ukrainian, Belarusian, and Russian archives.

The Lac Magantic Disaster was caused by a train loaded with highly sulphurous (meaning extremely volatile) Bakken oil from North Dakota, it is incomparable to neither the Chernobyl Disaster, or oil produced in the oil sands (low sulphur).

Again, education is key, try reading something... anything outside of your echo chamber.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Nov 26, 2019 at 10:39 PM.
     
     
  #11940  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:07 PM
headhorse headhorse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Lol you're a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 This entire book is literally about how people like you who believe the propaganda think only 30 (actual fabricated number is 42) people died in the disaster, and really I suppose, also how people like you have propped up the international coverup of the disaster continuing to this day, in order to protect governments which committed nuclear tests against their own people (atmospheric detonations in Nevada US, French Polynesia and Algeria, Kazakhstan, India, and Pakistan), basically entirely at the behest of the security council by appointing only physicists and not physicians to the international bodies governing radiation exposure. In reality, the catastrophe has led to countless radiation-related illnesses and deaths over the decades, including literally millions of stillbirths and children dead before 28 days old, thousands of children with thyroid cancer, hundreds of thousands of square kilometers highly contaminated (including Kyiv), among a ton of other insanity. Four million people still live in areas of unacceptable levels contamination, but nothing is being done about it. Maybe try reading... since clearly you're the one buying into propaganda. I was a proponent of the nuclear power industry before reading this and seeing the extreme level of detail the author delves into regarding the Ukrainian, Belarusian, and Russian archives.

The Lac Magantic Disaster was caused by a train loaded with highly sulphurous (meaning extremely volatile) Bakken oil from North Dakota, it is incomparable to neither the Chernobyl Disaster, or oil produced in the oil sands (low sulphur).

Again, education is key, try reading something... anything outside of your echo chamber.
why are you equating nuclear energy with nuclear weapons? yeah I know the US is a facist state and the ruling class that supports it, they are fine with killing civilians in their own countries and out... nuclear weapons are just one way for them to kill. make no mistake they find lots of ways to kill civilians. check out what's happening in Fallujah. again, this has nothing to do with nuclear energy.

all this is just projecting anyways... the oil industry and it's mercenaries are guilty, it's just convenient for them to tie this disaster to socialism and an industry that they oppose because it can't be dominated by them. russia and china are about to revolutionize nuclear energy and destroy oil demand.

https://www.sciencealert.com/chinese-res...rtificial-sun-that-mimics-nuclear-fusion

https://neutronbytes.com/2018/01/07/recent-developments-in-advanced-reactors-in-china-russia/

can I see the sources for all those claims btw?

Last edited by headhorse; Nov 26, 2019 at 11:20 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.