HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
That is uncalled for. There are many Chinese here that are proud Canadians that still are involve in the community.

Li Ka-shing is so far removed from anything related to Vancouver. If anyone that had a mark on just the development side that title would go to Stanley Kwok.
You're getting outraged over nothing. Li Ka-shing's puchase of the Expo lands was instrumental in Vancouver becoming a place for offshore money to store cash. Why wouldn't that be museum-worthy?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Absolutely, but the seriously loaded immigrants tend to be the new arrivals (80s-onwards) from HK and the PRC. The ones that helped build the country generally didn't and still don't have much investing power.

Stanley Kwok was a big one too, but he wasn't the one who built Yaletown. While we're at it, Bing Thom should also get a mention.
When you look at Vancouver's developers as a whole race or nationality seems to not matter when it comes to build quality. There are good and bad developers both local and foreign. In the end the cars with the worst reliability are not the ones made in Asia and the ones with the best reliability are not made by North American brands. It would be crazy to let the nationality of the developer affect your decisions. In the end who cares who builds it long as it gets built. Local developers here are known for building around the world and vice-versa.

That being said Onni is plain awful and whomever in BC who started the push for California Stucco should have been fired.

In the end the city generally reviews the plans for every building, and sometimes they miss things that are incredibly obvious. There's a certain building in Richmond that was built with only half its roof anchors and another in Vancouver that was built with a system that channeled heat from the AC into a water sink which of course assumed that a big pool of water can absorb infinite energy. Our court building downtown was supposed to have water flowing over the skylight but it leaked constantly and they gave up. I believe all 3 of these were built by Canadian developers.

Rather than blame developers or the city I think we should start standardizing our plans with templates that can be scaled so that every building has internals meant to optimize efficiency, maintenance, and cost while appearing different from the outside (when I say outside I mean outside the building's structure so that covers both the inside and outside of the building thats not in the walls). Standardization would allow us several advantages and allow us to quicken approvals.

PS: I think HK developers have a better reputation than most.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:16 PM

Im not sure how we got off topic onto who builds what better. I was referring to Stanley Kwok as he created the first asian shopping malls that created the ommunity. Then is Cindy Lee, Brant Louie, Thomas Fung all important people in the community.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Im not sure how we got off topic onto who builds what better. I was referring to Stanley Kwok as he created the first asian shopping malls that created the ommunity. Then is Cindy Lee, Brant Louie, Thomas Fung all important people in the community.
Yeah, that was a weird tangent.

Li may not be a local, but he did create Yaletown. But you're right that Kwok, Fung, et al should be there too - I'd add Bing Thom as well.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 1:56 AM

Li has had very little to do with Yaletown. Concord was made public and then private again under terry Hui. Li ka-sing still has billions invested in Canada from heating companies to parking lots but definately not a builder of the chinese community

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/terry-hui-...oncord-pacific

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:24 AM

Huh, go figure. Maybe there's a good reason for the museum after all - my family and the media keep regurgitating the idea that it was Li.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Huh, go figure. Maybe there's a good reason for the museum after all - my family and the media keep regurgitating the idea that it was Li.
Yup most people do as it was big news when the land sold and like most things people only remember the drama articles in the news.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment