HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:31 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I don't recall either of two upcoming 22nd & Washington developments being described as modular before. The location you give would have to be either the 'Chocolate Factory' site (2101 block) or the former Belmont Iron Works site (2201 block), in both cases with OCF Realty as the lead developer. Both are currently in the early site preparation stage (and in the case of the former still additional demolition to be completed, starting this week).
I mis-spoke; it's 2 blocks up from that. It's the 2400 block of Washington Ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9399...7i16384!8i8192

Untitled by iheartphilly iheartphilly, on Flickr

Last edited by iheartphilly; Nov 13, 2019 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
At one point yes, but the new iteration is 10 floors. Need at least 12 floors to qualify as a "highrise" and to get it's own thread.

Here's the new version:

Sigh. I remember reading that the city branch tunnel would be preserved but I would think this seriously jeopardizes ever getting mass transit in the city branch tunnel. It's just so sad to think that there is a tunnel already built that could link the art museum, Barnes, Rodin and Free Library with close proximity to the BSL stops at Vine and Spring Garden. Not to mention it runs all the way to 31st at Girard which would link Brewerytown, Fairmount and Poplar. Another missed opportunity for our city leadership.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
Sigh. I remember reading that the city branch tunnel would be preserved but I would think this seriously jeopardizes ever getting mass transit in the city branch tunnel. It's just so sad to think that there is a tunnel already built that could link the art museum, Barnes, Rodin and Free Library with close proximity to the BSL stops at Vine and Spring Garden. Not to mention it runs all the way to 31st at Girard which would link Brewerytown, Fairmount and Poplar. Another missed opportunity for our city leadership.
I believe this is being built without obstructing the ROW. Should still be available for future use as transit.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:45 PM

Yes, I believe they received a variance to obstruct a few additional feet.

That said, I still don't see a great use for transit. It's 8 blocks from the BSL until the branch tunnels under the Art Museum and connects with CSX. An extension past the Whole Foods area is a non starter. There is no room around the Art Museum and associated green space for a BRT to come up to grade. And I'd say the extension to the Navy Yard is light years more important than an 8 block extension to the BSL in this area.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Yes, I believe they received a variance to obstruct a few additional feet.

That said, I still don't see a great use for transit. It's 8 blocks from the BSL until the branch tunnels under the Art Museum and connects with CSX. An extension past the Whole Foods area is a non starter. There is no room around the Art Museum and associated green space for a BRT to come up to grade. And I'd say the extension to the Navy Yard is light years more important than an 8 block extension to the BSL in this area.
You dont think tying our most important civic boulevard - with several essential cultural assets and tourist attractions - into our mass transit network is a "great use for transit?"

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
You dont think tying our most important civic boulevard - with several essential cultural assets and tourist attractions - into our mass transit network is a "great use for transit?"
If you want to incorporate the Boulevard with mass transit, run a subway up its ROW. That was the plan for the loop, and it'd still work just as well. You could do cut-and-cover under the parkway and still allow traffic to move during construction by keeping the outer lanes open.

The City Branch is nothing more than a ditch. It was never intended for passenger use, and its best use now is to be developed upon. Whether that development should be public space (ie. the rail park) or private (ie. this project) is up for debate.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

https://2100hamilton.com/

Great video. The building from the video shows pretty well. I wasn't thrilled about the renders but this has changed my mind somewhat.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
It's 8 blocks from the BSL until the branch tunnels under the Art Museum and connects with CSX. An extension past the Whole Foods area is a non starter. There is no room around the Art Museum and associated green space for a BRT to come up to grade. And I'd say the extension to the Navy Yard is light years more important than an 8 block extension to the BSL in this area.
Maybe I'm misreading, but there's plenty of spots to connect with the main street grid for BRT (although I'd rather see some sort of light rail or connection to BSL), such as 29th street at the Art Museum side and the ramp from the tunnel to Nobel street after passing under Broad. Also, 401 N Broad was originally a freight terminal. The trains would stop at the lower level you see here while the ramp would be used for through service to reading terminal:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9596...4!8i8192?hl=en

https://hiddencityphila.org/2015/11/...nd-callowhill/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
If you want to incorporate the Boulevard with mass transit, run a subway up its ROW. That was the plan for the loop, and it'd still work just as well. You could do cut-and-cover under the parkway and still allow traffic to move during construction by keeping the outer lanes open.

The City Branch is nothing more than a ditch. It was never intended for passenger use, and its best use now is to be developed upon. Whether that development should be public space (ie. the rail park) or private (ie. this project) is up for debate.
That "ditch" would be incredibly expensive to build today and a subway under the Ben Franklin parkway would be even more so and redundant to the city branch cut. While the subway under the parkway looks better on paper, It'd be far more realistic to reuse the city branch tunnel in some way. Also, the vine street expressway is in the way of any cut and cover job.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Nov 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Is that the north side at 2401 Washington Ave (the grass lot where the first pictures definitely are) or are they just storing the modular units on the north and putting them up Lego-style on the southside at 2400?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:25 PM

Question - does anyone know if there is an archive of CDR materials somewhere? I can only find the CDR materials for the current agenda, but I'd love to know if there was a way to see old submissions.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Question - does anyone know if there is an archive of CDR materials somewhere? I can only find the CDR materials for the current agenda, but I'd love to know if there was a way to see old submissions.
you have to google them. They dont save them on the website in a way where they are searchable

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
you have to google them. They dont save them on the website in a way where they are searchable
Hmm if anyone working in city government reads this, make that a suggestion! Doesn't sound like something that would be very difficult to do.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Hmm if anyone working in city government reads this, make that a suggestion! Doesn't sound like something that would be very difficult to do.
Anyone know what the deal is with that huge garage across from the Target on Chestnut street in East Market? They took all the fencing down.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:55 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Is that the north side at 2401 Washington Ave (the grass lot where the first pictures definitely are) or are they just storing the modular units on the north and putting them up Lego-style on the southside at 2400?
tsarstruck, you are correct. 2401 Washington is set for a different project which hasn't broken ground yet; but it's apparently being used as a staging area for the modules going in at 2501 Washington. EDITED TO ADD: This is all on the north side of Washington, including the staging area.

Last edited by Jayfar; Nov 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:09 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
tsarstruck, you are correct. 2401 Washington is set for a different project which hasn't broken ground yet; but it's apparently being used as a staging area for the modules going in at 2501 Washington.
ok, thanks for clarifying. you guys are on the beat! lots of residential activity in that area despite it feeling like a industrial zone with all the stores that deal with the construction and building trades.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Nov 13, 2019 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
https://2100hamilton.com/

Great video. The building from the video shows pretty well. I wasn't thrilled about the renders but this has changed my mind somewhat.
Still looks like a early 2000s office building that belongs in suburban New Jersey to me...but I do like the interiors very much.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:46 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Still looks like a early 2000s office building that belongs in suburban New Jersey to me...but I do like the interiors very much.
Yeah, I had said something like that in an earlier post, but in watching the full video, there were some shots/angles that didn't show the rectangular glass panels as prominent and the lines from these seem to seamlessly blend in with the glass. It's got a unique configuration due to the lot and the the street level entrance isn't glass but looks like stone veneers and other materials. Not sure if that will run all along the based, but that would make a difference in how it looks. The garden facing the parkway looks amazing, and the tucked in balconies are different. I think if executed well with materials, we just might be surprise. I'm gonna reserve judgement until the final product is delivered.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I had said something like that in an earlier post, but in watching the full video, there were some shots/angles that didn't show the rectangular glass panels as prominent and the lines from these seem to seamlessly blend in with the glass. It's got a unique configuration due to the lot and the the street level entrance isn't glass but looks like stone veneers and other materials. Not sure if that will run all along the based, but that would make a difference in how it looks. The garden facing the parkway looks amazing, and the tucked in balconies are different. I think if executed well with materials, we just might be surprise. I'm gonna reserve judgement until the final product is delivered.
Yeah, time will tell. Most of the more interesting elements look to me like they won't be very visible at street level. Like the balcony design, which the video captured through closeups using drone footage. But we'll see.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:52 PM

https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/pen...ation-revealed

pretty cool renovations at the penn museum. also see this bit:

Quote:
There is even more to come as the building transformation continues, which, when completed, will renovate about 44,000 square feet of space in the building, including more than 75 percent of the public galleries.
and
Quote:
Plans also include a reconstructed pharaoh’s palace with 23-foot-high grand pillars. Opening is targeted for 2023, pending funding.
Which I hope is alluding to this:
https://popular-archaeology.com/arti...n-throne-room/

The pillars themselves are impressive, I had no idea they had more in storage.

Last edited by Skintreesnail; Nov 15, 2019 at 3:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Do I think it would be nice public transit addition...yes. I am all for expanding our mass transit system.

But I look at the 15,000 people who work in the NY with basically one road in/out and a second that is a bit circuitous. And there are only plans to grow the NY.

I think the next Ice Age is more likely than Septa undertaking two major mass transit projects at the same time (let alone three with the KOP extension).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development