HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #381  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:52 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Costco moving out is going to kill the already struggling retail offerings at Innes & the 417. That place is going to be a ghost town soon. Interesting
Retail businesses are struggling in that area? It is completely devoid of charm and ugly but commercially it looks to be doing fine. At a quick glance there isn't much that appears to be vacant there.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #382  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:59 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Retail businesses are struggling in that area? It is completely devoid of charm and ugly but commercially it looks to be doing fine. At a quick glance there isn't much that appears to be vacant there.
There is a large vacant space there (I think it was Sears Home?), but other than that, the area doesn't seem to have many vacancies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #383  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:54 PM
hwy418 hwy418 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Can't wait to see the traffic jams!
I personally think that Costco should have retained the existing Cyrville location and also built a new one in Orleans.
100% agree! East end can and should have 2 locations. There are 3 in the west end.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #384  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:56 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
100% agree! East end can and should have 2 locations. There are 3 in the west end.
Well, if they build a bridge at Kettle Island maybe Orleans won't need a Costco? Cheaper beer and all...
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #385  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:59 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Can't wait to see the traffic jams!
I personally think that Costco should have retained the existing Cyrville location and also built a new one in Orleans.
I agree. The west end has 3 (Hunt-Club, Kanata and Barrhaven) so why is the east end still stuck with only one? A second one in Gatineau should probably be considered as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #386  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:49 PM
hwy418 hwy418 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, if they build a bridge at Kettle Island maybe Orleans won't need a Costco? Cheaper beer and all...
I've been there - weird layout. But yes, nice to have cheap beer!

Would love to have a Merivale-like Costco in Orleans. Also don't forget Gloucester-Cyrville location also serves central-east Ottawa, Clarence-Rockland, Casselman, Russell, Embrun, Greely, Metcalfe... etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #387  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:04 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
I've been there - weird layout. But yes, nice to have cheap beer!

Would love to have a Merivale-like Costco in Orleans. Also don't forget Gloucester-Cyrville location also serves central-east Ottawa, Clarence-Rockland, Casselman, Russell, Embrun, Greely, Metcalfe... etc.
I'd love to have a Costco gas bar in Gatineau but there is no space at all on the lot where the store is and not much left in the general vicinity as it continues to quickly move towards near-full build-out.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #388  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:18 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
I've been there - weird layout. But yes, nice to have cheap beer!

.
The Costco at Les Promenades Gatineau is housed in a former Eaton's store so it's a rare Costco that wasn't custom-built to be a Costco. I am pretty sure the shell former but the outside walls were not changed and they fit a Costco configuration into the existing space.

Initially Costco (Club Price in fact) built a custom store on the north side of the A-50 at Labrosse when people thought power centres on the outskirts of cities were the way of the future. That power centre development never took off.

It was not a total flop but not as successful as Costco hoped. After a succession of crappy tenants in the old Eaton's (discount furniture warehouses and such) Costco decided to make the move and closed their other store which now houses boats and RVs during the winter months.

Failed Costco/Club Price location:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5125038,...IMBrd8fRn3Hc2uy9dyMUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Failed Zellers location right next door (now a Government of Canada warehouse):
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5115822,...47JxoR1hUhRCT4SRkRqmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Don't let those cinder blocks fool you. The parking lots are accessible and great places to teach your kids how to drive.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #389  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:30 PM
Capital Shaun Capital Shaun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 862
I am not looking forward to the increase in traffic in my neighbourhood once the new Costco opens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #390  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:33 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
I am not looking forward to the increase in traffic in my neighbourhood once the new Costco opens.
Unless you live on Ogilvie Road itself I can't see much of an impact on residential areas.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #391  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:04 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
The Blair location would be very convenient for employees as it's within walking distance of Blair station. I sometimes wonder how Costco employees get to work--most minimum wage employees cannot afford a car, yet Costco stores are generally in pretty transit-hostile locations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #392  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:06 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Costco moving out is going to kill the already struggling retail offerings at Innes & the 417. That place is going to be a ghost town soon. Interesting
The retail strip at Innes & 417 was a mistake, IMO. It just slows the road down and makes it harder for commuters to get to the highway from southern Orleans.

Just like Hunt Club & Merivale.. we keep building too many retail plazas on roads that should be kept clear of development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #393  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:07 PM
OTownandDown OTownandDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Costco moving out is going to kill the already struggling retail offerings at Innes & the 417. That place is going to be a ghost town soon. Interesting
Where will I ever manage to buy my overstuffed, beige leather recliner if not at one of those run-of-the-mill furniture warehouses down there! To be frank, the business model for these types of large furniture showrooms is kind of ageing with the tail end of the baby boomers, and will soon age-out. Sorry (not sorry)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #394  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:26 PM
MichelKazan MichelKazan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Costco at Les Promenades Gatineau is housed in a former Eaton's store so it's a rare Costco that wasn't custom-built to be a Costco. I am pretty sure the shell former but the outside walls were not changed and they fit a Costco configuration into the existing space.
I'm pretty sure the Eaton's store was torn down to build the Costco. The Costco footprint goes right to Chemin de la Savane whereas there was room for a parking lot between the Eaton store and de la Savane.

And look at it this way, the failed Zellers north of the 50 would be vacant now anyways with the demise of Zellers unless it had become a target.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #395  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:46 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I'm pretty sure the Eaton's store was torn down to build the Costco. The Costco footprint goes right to Chemin de la Savane whereas there was room for a parking lot between the Eaton store and de la Savane.

.
Good point now that you mention it.

Now that I think of it you used to be able to drive all the way around that side of the mall and now you can't.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #396  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 7:55 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
The Blair location would be very convenient for employees as it's within walking distance of Blair station. I sometimes wonder how Costco employees get to work--most minimum wage employees cannot afford a car, yet Costco stores are generally in pretty transit-hostile locations.
Costco employees earn way more than minimum wage. Up to 30-32$/hr for managers I think, but most employees make at least 22-23$. I don't think anyone makes below 21$ and that would be for the newly-hired baggers or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #397  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:18 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
I'm pretty sure the Eaton's store was torn down to build the Costco. The Costco footprint goes right to Chemin de la Savane whereas there was room for a parking lot between the Eaton store and de la Savane.

And look at it this way, the failed Zellers north of the 50 would be vacant now anyways with the demise of Zellers unless it had become a target.
I went to high school across the street at that time. I remember them tearing down the old Eaton's and building the Costco. Always despised that location. The limited space they had to build made for a weird layout. The only thing I like are the two separate exists in the lobby, dispersing the traffic.

Costco was suppose to go in the field between the tracks, the A50 and St-Louis, where the Wal-Mart and La Gappe RapiBus Station are now. That was, obviously, canceled. That would have been a far superior location IMO. While I'm changing history, medium density residential and commercial would have been a better use of that space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Costco employees earn way more than minimum wage. Up to 30-32$/hr for managers I think, but most employees make at least 22-23$. I don't think anyone makes below 21$ and that would be for the newly-hired baggers or something.
My high school buddy worked at Costco in those early years and started at around $15-$16 back in the mid-2000s.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #398  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:22 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Costco employees earn way more than minimum wage. Up to 30-32$/hr for managers I think, but most employees make at least 22-23$. I don't think anyone makes below 21$ and that would be for the newly-hired baggers or something.
Yes, Costco offers pretty much the best retail jobs around. They have really good benefits too AFAIK.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #399  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:27 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Always despised that location. The limited space they had to build made for a weird layout. The only thing I like are the two separate exists in the lobby, dispersing the traffic.
That and cheap beer But yeah, I hate the location too. Last time I went there (to buy beer obviously) I had to park something like 300 m away. Costco parking lots are always congested but this one is in another league.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #400  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:38 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
That and cheap beer But yeah, I hate the location too. Last time I went there (to buy beer obviously) I had to park something like 300 m away. Costco parking lots are always congested but this one is in another league.
I like the location because I live five minutes away. Because I am so close I can also choose when I go so I generally pick less busy times. I agree the parking can get really bad some days. (Though the Cyrville Costco parking is bad too.)

As some point Les Promenades might have to start thinking about a parking garage.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.