HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #361  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:19 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Some time ago I also mentioned that as a result of Ontario having 4 school systems, my kids' cousins ended up having a way less diverse group of friends than mine, in spite of the fact that where we live is clearly less diverse than their cousins grew up.

The reason for this is that my nieces and nephews almost all went to French Catholic school, which comes with two barriers for most families from diverse backgrounds: the Catholic (or Christian) religion and all subjects except ESL taught in French.

This does not mean there isn't any diversity in Ontario French Catholic schools, but they tend to be the least diverse of that province's four school systems.

English public schools tend to be the most diverse in Ontario by far.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #362  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:26 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
English public schools tend to be the most diverse in Ontario by far.
I'm not sure that's always the case in the cities. I'm most familiar with the Glebe schools, but both Corpus Christi and Immaculata High School are far more diverse than their public counterparts, both from a socio-economic and racial perspective. That is a big part of the reason that my wife (who isn't Catholic) insisted on our kids going to the Catholic schools. That and the emphasis on values.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #363  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:30 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I'm not sure that's always the case in the cities. I'm most familiar with the Glebe schools, but both Corpus Christi and Immaculata High School are far more diverse than their public counterparts, both from a socio-economic and racial perspective. .
I guess there may some localized exceptions.

It's almost a meme among certain circles of bien pensant parents in Ottawa and also Toronto that the best way to isolate your kid from FOB ESL immigrant kids (without having to pay private school tuition) is to send them to French immersion in a Catholic school.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #364  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:34 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I guess there may some localized exceptions.

It's almost a meme among certain circles of bien pensant parents in Ottawa and also Toronto that the best way to isolate your kid from FOB ESL immigrant kids (without having to pay private school tuition) is to send them to French immersion in a Catholic school.
Catchment area has a lot to do with that, but I would guess that there are plenty of Catholic schools among the most diverse schools in the province. My brother's Catholic high school in Toronto is probably about 20% white.

There is probably a good amount of truth to the meme, but times do change. French immersion has clearly become a more academic stream in most boards, so anyone doing their research will figure that out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #365  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:42 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would agree with these points, though the francophone schools must remain for constitutional and historical reasons, just like anglophone schools should remain in Quebec.
Yes, agreed. I didn't make the clear above, but I think that anglophone vs. francophone should be the only streaming permitted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The difference between my neighbourhood in Gatineau and those of family members who live in Ottawa or other parts of Ontario is quite striking. In my area you basically have 98-99% of the kids who go to the same elementary school which is right in the middle of the neighbourhood. (We have few kids who go to English school here - things might be a bit different in an area like Aylmer.) Our school had zero school buses, which is very typical for francophone elementary schools in Gatineau. My kids who are teenagers today and are no longer at that school, basically know everyone who is roughly their age in the entire neighbourhood. And we as parents know a whole bunch of the parents too.
Ugh, that sounds amazing. I wish Ottawa was like that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #366  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:43 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I'm not sure that's always the case in the cities. I'm most familiar with the Glebe schools, but both Corpus Christi and Immaculata High School are far more diverse than their public counterparts, both from a socio-economic and racial perspective. That is a big part of the reason that my wife (who isn't Catholic) insisted on our kids going to the Catholic schools. That and the emphasis on values.
You mean values like sending kids to anti-abortion rallies and teaching homophobia?

I don't like Joel Harden very much, but one thing I do agree with him on is his proposal that Catholic schools be banned from associating with pro-life or anti-LGBT organizations or causes. Publically funded schools cannot be promoting opposition to constitutionally guaranteed human rights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #367  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:55 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
You mean values like sending kids to anti-abortion rallies and teaching homophobia?

I don't like Joel Harden very much, but one thing I do agree with him on is his proposal that Catholic schools be banned from associating with pro-life or anti-LGBT organizations or causes. Publically funded schools cannot be promoting opposition to constitutionally guaranteed human rights.
No, the emphasis on values really has nothing to do with those issues.

The schools focus on "building character through hope, love, community, dignity of persons, excellence, justice, and stewardship for the environment". I can tell you that in 10+ years of my kids being Catholic schools, I have never seen the slightest hint of promoting homophobia. Quite the opposite. Same with pro-life, although I see that as being a much less clear cut issue.

I think that the public can have a very skewed idea of what is taught in Catholic schools. They follow the same curriculum as the public schools, and include courses on other religions as part of the required courseload.

Last edited by phil235; Oct 18, 2019 at 7:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #368  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:02 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
No, the emphasis on values really has nothing to do with those issues.

I can tell you that in 10+ years of my kids being Catholic schools, I have never seen the slightest hint of promoting homophobia.
Quite the opposite. Same with pro-life, although I see that as being a different type of issue.

I think that the public can have a very skewed idea of what is taught in Catholic schools.
Uh....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/drama-telgemeier-banned-ottawa-catholic-school-1.4977546

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ga...y-ottawa-catholic-school-board-1.2852327

That's a lot more than a "slightest hint".

Or note how Catholic schools organize field trips for kids to go to the March for Life every year.

I know someone who was denied a job teaching at a Catholic school because she and her boyfriend live together and have a child without being married.

There needs to be a zero-tolerance policy for this sort of thing by Catholic schools. Government funding means having to respect government mandated human rights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #369  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:44 PM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Uh....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/drama-telgemeier-banned-ottawa-catholic-school-1.4977546

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ga...y-ottawa-catholic-school-board-1.2852327

That's a lot more than a "slightest hint".

Or note how Catholic schools organize field trips for kids to go to the March for Life every year.

I know someone who was denied a job teaching at a Catholic school because she and her boyfriend live together and have a child without being married.

There needs to be a zero-tolerance policy for this sort of thing by Catholic schools. Government funding means having to respect government mandated human rights.
Both of your links seem to relate to restricting 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 material that is available to younger kids in schools (the book in the first instance continued to be available in middle schools and high schools). It was perhaps an overzealous response to parent complaints, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to call those examples of promoting homophobia.

I get that the media love to pick up on those types of stories, but I could give you tonnes of examples of lessons about diversity and acceptance (two of the values I was referring to). I haven't had any concerns about the messages that my kids have received at school.

I've never heard of kids being forced to participate in protest marches, although they do make allowances to kids can attend in some cases (as with the environment march). I'm almost certain that there is no Catholic Board policy on sending kids to the right to life marches. If kids do attend, it is voluntary, and frankly within their right to do so.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #370  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 9:54 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,798
Information on LGBT rights is not automatically "🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 content". That very suggestion is offensive.

You can explain to little children that two women or two men can love each other without going into details about 🞵🞵🞵. Kids see straight couples holding hands and kissing all the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #371  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:35 AM
phil235's Avatar
phil235 phil235 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Information on LGBT rights is not automatically "🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 content". That very suggestion is offensive.

You can explain to little children that two women or two men can love each other without going into details about 🞵🞵🞵. Kids see straight couples holding hands and kissing all the time.
Not having read the book in question, I have no idea whether the content was appropriate or not. Based on the article, the question was the age at which it was appropriate, not whether the subject matter itself was acceptable.

In any event, I can just tell you that as far as I know, the curriculum does include discussion of same 🞵🞵🞵 families among other things. My kids did units on those topics. The idea that Catholic schools are indoctrinating kids to be homophobic isn’t accurate. If it was, my kids wouldn’t be going there.

Since we’ve veered well off topic, I’ll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #372  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 12:55 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Viewed from the outside it seems like Ontario and at least some of its Catholic schools play a cat and mouse game.

The schools push their luck, Ontario pushes back, rinse and repeat.

The type of stuff CityTech describes is familiar to me either through family or media reports.

Also stories about same 🞵🞵🞵 dates being banned from proms, or kids using the gay rights movement for a human rights project being told they cannot...

In all cases the Catholic schools backed down but they stiĺl try to push the envelope.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #373  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 1:00 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I'm not sure that's always the case in the cities. I'm most familiar with the Glebe schools, but both Corpus Christi and Immaculata High School are far more diverse than their public counterparts, both from a socio-economic and racial perspective. That is a big part of the reason that my wife (who isn't Catholic) insisted on our kids going to the Catholic schools. That and the emphasis on values.
In Quebec (nominally) Catholic private schools are quite popular with more moderate Muslim families for this last reason.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #374  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 3:22 PM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Not having read the book in question, I have no idea whether the content was appropriate or not. Based on the article, the question was the age at which it was appropriate, not whether the subject matter itself was acceptable.

In any event, I can just tell you that as far as I know, the curriculum does include discussion of same 🞵🞵🞵 families among other things. My kids did units on those topics. The idea that Catholic schools are indoctrinating kids to be homophobic isn’t accurate. If it was, my kids wouldn’t be going there.

Since we’ve veered well off topic, I’ll leave it at that.
My wife is a catholic high school teacher and my kids go to a catholic elementary school. The amount of religion and "indoctrination" going on has dropped significantly over the last 25-30 years to the point that there is very little different between them and their public school counterparts. As the religious experiences continue to be diluted it appears more and more reasonable to rid ourselves of one of the last separate publicly-funded religious-based school systems in Canada. My kids go there since it is close and a very nice school and neighbourhood, not necessarily for the religious education. I do find the school has a very community-oriented, socially-conscious feel. Last I heard of students organizing pro-life rallies would have been at Imaculata in the 1990's, organized by none other than a young Andrew Scheer. He's a lot more wing nut that a lot of the conservative base realize......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #375  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 5:12 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
I have a lot of proximity to the Ontario Catholic school system via 2 very close relatives and numerous friends who teach there. Also my nieces and newphews who are in that system at the moment. My wife did all her schooling there and I did part of mine.

I am not saying it is extremely religious in the sense of bible thumpers in the southern US, but some of the stuff I hear out of there on occasion is surprising for 2019 in a Canadian public institution.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #376  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:53 PM
Tesladom Tesladom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 588
Looks like activity has resumed at future Costco site near Ogilvie/Blair.
Anybody have insight?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #377  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:21 PM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Looks like activity has resumed at future Costco site near Ogilvie/Blair.
Anybody have insight?
https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/ccuc7c/costco_still_coming_to_shoppers_city_east/

Quote:
Costco Innes employee here: Tirinty who owns the land is making the parking lot and plan to be done September 15th.

After that there should be a new building up by November with a move in date of March or April 2020 this is according to my wearhouse manager. But could be eailer if all goes well I guess.

It's going to be a massive wearhouse including a 24 pump gas station.

Get ready Ogilvie Costco is coming!

Edit: didn't realize it wasn't Trinity anymore lol oh well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #378  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:59 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Costco moving out is going to kill the already struggling retail offerings at Innes & the 417. That place is going to be a ghost town soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #379  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:02 PM
Harley613's Avatar
Harley613 Harley613 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Aylmer, QC
Posts: 6,896
Costco moving out is going to kill the already struggling retail offerings at Innes & the 417. That place is going to be a ghost town soon. Interesting
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #380  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:24 PM
Tesladom Tesladom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 588
Can't wait to see the traffic jams!
I personally think that Costco should have retained the existing Cyrville location and also built a new one in Orleans.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.