HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4301  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 8:30 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I wonder what those two large I beams are for on the top floor. I haven't seen anything similar anywhere else.
I think they might be part of the tether for the crane. That's the only thing I can think of.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4302  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:35 AM
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think they might be part of the tether for the crane. That's the only thing I can think of.
Exactly what I thought.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4303  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 12:39 AM
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 1,798
Next page;





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4304  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:45 AM
EspionNoir's Avatar
EspionNoir EspionNoir is offline
Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 635
Nice progress.

Not exactly a very "important" thing, but I'm thinking this will be the most or second most luxurious apartment in Winnipeg for some time? I guess TNS probably is better?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4305  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:18 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Nice progress.

Not exactly a very "important" thing, but I'm thinking this will be the most or second most luxurious apartment in Winnipeg for some time? I guess TNS probably is better?
I believe they're going after mid-range, closer to 300 Assiniboine than TNS. Wouldn't be overly surprised to see 185 Smith end up being near the top, based on the amount of work to the exterior and the renders. Don't know of (m)any apartment towers here with two-storey units, other than some penthouse suites.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4306  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:02 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 8,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I believe they're going after mid-range, closer to 300 Assiniboine than TNS. Wouldn't be overly surprised to see 185 Smith end up being near the top, based on the amount of work to the exterior and the renders. Don't know of (m)any apartment towers here with two-storey units, other than some penthouse suites.
Seems to be a new trend, the pump-house development will have two storey units and the new building on Aubert might have two storey units based on the exterior balconies but i could be wrong about that one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4307  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:14 AM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Doesn't Le Chateau York have 2-storey suites on the upper floors? I've never been in that building but I always wondered what those large suites at the top look like.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4308  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:26 AM
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Seems to be a new trend, the pump-house development will have two storey units and the new building on Aubert might have two storey units based on the exterior balconies but i could be wrong about that one.
Common now in southern Ontario. I have family there living in one of these units. Feels more like being in a a house.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4309  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:48 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Core looks like it's been at the 15-16 story range for the past three months!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4310  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:26 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think they might be part of the tether for the crane. That's the only thing I can think of.
They look to large to be the crane tethers, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4311  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:58 PM
GrammarSlammerBammer's Avatar
GrammarSlammerBammer GrammarSlammerBammer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Core looks like it's been at the 15-16 story range for the past three months!
Yep, it hasn't been raised since mid-August.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4312  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:14 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 7,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarSlammerBammer View Post
Yep, it hasn't been raised since mid-August.
Guess it's pretty close to being topped out after all!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4313  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 4:39 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 8,618
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4314  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 6:54 AM
EspionNoir's Avatar
EspionNoir EspionNoir is offline
Winnipeg
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Guess it's pretty close to being topped out after all!
Hahahahaha

It's going to be quite some time for it to reach 42 floors I believe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4315  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:01 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Garryish
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
That is already a vast improvement from what it looked like before.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4316  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:10 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Hahahahaha

It's going to be quite some time for it to reach 42 floors I believe.
Well it has taken 40 years to get this far. Another decade won't hurt lol.

I think TNS 3-4 and probably 5 will be done before this thing is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4317  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:28 PM
DonaldSmith's Avatar
DonaldSmith DonaldSmith is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wpg, Mb
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They look to large to be the crane tethers, but I could be wrong.
I think it is being used to store structural steel and d beams.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4318  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:06 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Not to whine, but does nobody listen to me on this board???
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The escalator the mall is so poorly thought out it’s crazy. Blocks the whole flow, you gotta walk around, and the bottom is reaaallyyy close to the shop entrances. They put up caution tape and watch your head signs, guess people were walking into it. Gonna have to block off some space under it which will makes it even more awkward.

You gotta think there should have been some fairly simple way to configure the main floor of 330 so the escalator could go along the flow of the mall.

And below, from the very same post as my bitching:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
There was an original escalator base already there, so perpendicular was the only option, unless they wanted to waste money.
Building a brand new escalator pit combined with all the structural work and impact on the parkde below would have been a massive cost.

I agree, oriented the other way would flow more, but this is very far from the first place with a perpendicular escalator.


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I believe they're going after mid-range, closer to 300 Assiniboine than TNS. Wouldn't be overly surprised to see 185 Smith end up being near the top, based on the amount of work to the exterior and the renders. Don't know of (m)any apartment towers here with two-storey units, other than some penthouse suites.
No, these are definitely going for top of the market. They will have some affordable units though, the ones that TNS made the news for by not including yet getting a grant for anyway lol.

You don't build something this large and expensive and then don't make your money back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4319  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:46 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
the new escalator in the concourse for this development is pretty bizarre. It runs completely across the path of travel for the mall....and now they've roped it off I guess because people were hitting their heads. It creates a pretty good pinch point in the mall.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4320  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:54 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the new escalator in the concourse for this development is pretty bizarre. It runs completely across the path of travel for the mall....and now they've roped it off I guess because people were hitting their heads. It creates a pretty good pinch point in the mall.

That's bizarre. They should have orientated it the other way. Why would they do that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:51 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.