HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:16 AM

Much needed redevelopment coming to the south of Pioneer Park:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/10/...rousel-5776606

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Much needed redevelopment coming to the south of Pioneer Park:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/10/...rousel-5776606
This can't happen soon enough! Mendenhall seems to be very proactive on this issue. She continues to sound to me like many of our most ardent forum members

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:48 PM
Space Magi

Has anyone heard anything about the Trolley Square development lately? Is that project still alive?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:29 PM

What do you all think about the idea of the city closing Forest Dale and Nibley golf courses and turning them over to the RDA to be developed as mixed use/ transit oriented development? These could be a mix of brownstones and 3-5 story condo/apartments.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
What do you all think about the idea of the city closing Forest Dale and Nibley golf courses and turning them over to the RDA to be developed as mixed use/ transit oriented development? These could be a mix of brownstones and 3-5 story condo/apartments.
I would say yes please.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
There is a stipulation in the gift from the Nibley family about the space being used for a golf course/parks and if it is used for another purpose, the ownership reverts to the family.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
There is a stipulation in the gift from the Nibley family about the space being used for a golf course/parks and if it is used for another purpose, the ownership reverts to the family.
I wonder if there is still a "family" to turn it back over to since it has been almost 100 years?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:28 AM

Salt Lake City has way too many golf courses, so yes please.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:47 AM

I can tell that none of y'all play golf. Nibley is open to the public. There's always people walking their dogs, or riding bikes on the golf course. I think it's great. Forest Dale, well, they have a very extensive women's league. It's a very popular course. Heaven knows you don't want to tick off a woman with access to golf clubs. You can ask Tiger Woods about that.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:08 PM

Haha, Well said Deek. Yeah, the Wasatch Front certainly doesn't need another golf course, or another ski resort, or another irreplaceable historic theatre. Never mind that much of the traffic that these types of activities generate is why the Wasatch is becoming so popular and finally much more cosmopolitan.

Last time I checked golfing was very popular amongst Utahns and the throngs that visit Utah seasonally. I'm not saying that Salt Lake City proper should develop more golf courses, but given SLC's trajectory I think it would be short-sided to start getting rid of what it does have. Also, just because someone doesn't ski surely they can realize that skiing generates hundreds of millions even billions toward Utah's progressive economy, not to mention how it has dragged the State out of provincial flyover status and onto the world stage. Yet recently upon the announcement of Mayflower, a few questioned if we really need another ski resort??? And yes downtown Salt Lake City has a lot more seating for the performing arts than most major cities, yet name me a venue downtown that is not experiencing tremendous participation and attendance. This even though many outstanding venues have or are being constructed recently throughout the greater Wasatch Front. It goes without saying that Utahns are among the most active and captive audiences when it comes to supporting and attending the performing arts. Do we really honestly and objectively think that if we can manage to play a little longer game, that a future denser downtown Salt Lake City with tens of thousands more residents won't appreciate a crown jewel like the Pantages? That a metro that will soon pass 3 million and move on toward 4 million won't value an historic venue like that? Should we really build another common high-rise only at that location? A high-rise that could go onto any one of dozens of equally attractive empty lots downtown?

Last edited by delts145; Oct 30, 2019 at 2:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Walking home from work I noticed they knocked down two buildings and cleared a parking lot at 327 E and 300 S. I remember seeing plans for a big apartment building in that area but thought that was shot down. Does anyone know what may be going in?

https://imgur.com/iL0BB6x

Here's how it looked before the excavation: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7628...7i13312!8i6656
I would imagine the project is still a go but with some adjustments in the middle of the block? Makid, Airhero or anyone know what the new requirements were? Are they doing something as simple as putting a plaza in the middle with mid-block access?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:55 PM

Believe it or not I am a golfer, but my suggestion is based off of the fact that golf is waning in popularity around the whole country and Salt Lake City in particular is having a hard time even breaking even on their courses which is why they closed Jordan River and Wingpointe and almost closed Glendale. I think Glendale, Bonneville Rose Park should stay open as they are good courses, but Nibley and Forest Dale are better used for affordable housing and transit oriented development.

It is a hard ask to expect taxpayers to fund that many courses when the popularity is waning and there are so many more pressing needs in the city. Just like the Pantages I think this money is funding middle class and upper middle class lifestyles (I recognize low income people golf too) which could be put to better use to help the community more broadly. Keep in mind you could still incorporate park space or other public spaces that would be far more useful to the surrounding community than a fenced off course.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:02 PM
They all float down here

lmao I've never heard anyone, anywhere, say, "Let's go to Salt Lake City to visit their golf courses!"

What a wild and hilarious argument.

There might be some good golf courses in Utah, and even SLC, but surely the best golf course in the state is not located in Salt Lake City. In fact, Golf Digest ranks only one - The Country Club - in its top-ten golf courses in the state (ranked 8th). The best? Glenwild Golf Club in Park City.

No one is traveling to Salt Lake City to golf at Nibley Park Golf Course lol

And to compare that to the skiing industry? C'mon. This is firmly tongue in cheek, right? Utah is consistently ranked as one of the best states to ski - no one thinks of Utah and Golf.

Here's a list of every state ranked in golf:

https://www.linksmagazine.com/the_best_golf_states/

Utah is 38th. Just ahead of Wyoming!

I'm not getting into the debate on whether Nibley Park should be closed or not but I just had to comment on that. It made me laugh.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:00 AM

I agree that people don't travel to Salt Lake City to golf, St. George as a golf destination perhaps but yes not Salt Lake City. However, as far as visitors taking in a round while they're here golf has become very important to the Park City and Heber Valley area as a four-season attraction. Interestingly in those same magazines ranking Utah as the 38th golfiest State it was noted that the only reason Utah wasn't ranked much higher was because it doesn't have enough courses. Ironic that a State that consistently ranks as among the 3 to 5 most beautiful/scenic States in the nation doesn't have more courses. That seems to be changing as more courses are being added in heavily trafficked tourist areas such as Park City.

As I said before, I don't think Salt Lake City proper necessarily needs more courses, but don't be surprised to see a number of major courses going up along the Wasatch back, particularly within the vicinities of ski resorts. A fair number of seasonal tourists to the State do want to take in a round of golf while they're here, and it sure doesn't hurt in selling the State as a complete vacation package. I think as the pro's pointed out the State needs more courses. I'm sure money/profitability will drive the demand as far as where they are developed.

Perhaps Deek could share some more light on which courses are overbooked and which ones are suffering for attendance. I know in my own hometown immediate area along the Wasatch there are now four major courses, and all are highly sought after as far as attendance.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:37 AM

Golf courses are one of the least environmentally friendly and most inefficient uses of land that exists. Imagine arguing for golf courses in the middle of a rapidly densifying city in the desert to stay because some visitors to the ski resorts like to play a round of golf sometimes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Golf courses are one of the least environmentally friendly and most inefficient uses of land that exists. Imagine arguing for golf courses in the middle of a rapidly densifying city in the desert to stay because some visitors to the ski resorts like to play a round of golf sometimes.
There is so much irony in every part of this comment that I spit out my coffee laughing 😂. It drives home the point just how ridiculous this city’s situation can be!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:13 PM

Wow Kensington Tower is moving quickly.

From the Planning meeting email notification:

Kensington Tower Design Review at approximately 69 East 200 South, 75 East 200 South, and 160 S. State St. - Emir Tursic of HKS Architecture, on behalf of 200 South LLC, is requesting approval for height and setback adjustments through the Design Review Process. The building is proposed on the northwest corner of State Street and 200 South. The subject parcels are within the D-1 (Central Business District) zone which allows for adjustments to the 100’ (minimum) and 375’ (maximum) height limits and the front and corner 5’ maximum setbacks via the design review process. The petitioner is seeking to increase the height of a section of the building fronting on State Street to a height of 448 feet. Another portion of the structure located behind the State Street and 200 South facades will be 83 feet in height. The petitioner is seeking approval for being less than the minimum height at that location. The setback adjustment is sought for the ground floor in limited areas on the south and east facades for parking access as well as outdoor dining space along 200 South. The subject parcels are located within Council District 4, represented by Ana Valdemoros. (Staff contact: Christopher Lee at (801) 535-7706 or christopher.lee@slcgov.com) Case number PLNPCM2019-00786

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 4:55 PM
Space Magi

Great news about the Kensington!

I just made a post over at the drawing requests subforum including some of the current tower projects on the docket. Maybe we can get some of these projects on the SLC diagram at some point. Does anyone have any experience adding buildings to the database?

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 1, 2019 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 5:49 PM

Intermediate blue crane being installed at Liberty Sky this morning.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Haha, Well said Deek. Yeah, the Wasatch Front certainly doesn't need another golf course, or another ski resort, or another irreplaceable historic theatre. Never mind that much of the traffic that these types of activities generate is why the Wasatch is becoming so popular and finally much more cosmopolitan.

Last time I checked golfing was very popular amongst Utahns and the throngs that visit Utah seasonally. I'm not saying that Salt Lake City proper should develop more golf courses, but given SLC's trajectory I think it would be short-sided to start getting rid of what it does have. Also, just because someone doesn't ski surely they can realize that skiing generates hundreds of millions even billions toward Utah's progressive economy, not to mention how it has dragged the State out of provincial flyover status and onto the world stage. Yet recently upon the announcement of Mayflower, a few questioned if we really need another ski resort??? And yes downtown Salt Lake City has a lot more seating for the performing arts than most major cities, yet name me a venue downtown that is not experiencing tremendous participation and attendance. This even though many outstanding venues have or are being constructed recently throughout the greater Wasatch Front. It goes without saying that Utahns are among the most active and captive audiences when it comes to supporting and attending the performing arts. Do we really honestly and objectively think that if we can manage to play a little longer game, that a future denser downtown Salt Lake City with tens of thousands more residents won't appreciate a crown jewel like the Pantages? That a metro that will soon pass 3 million and move on toward 4 million won't value an historic venue like that? Should we really build another common high-rise only at that location? A high-rise that could go onto any one of dozens of equally attractive empty lots downtown?
Thank you for this delts145, especially the parts about the Pantages theater aka Utah theater.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West