Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
Bc Ferries provides enough capacity for 2300 people in the morning rush hour, so there is demand, even when it takes 3 hours to get into downtown Vancouver. Demand would surely spike if you could do the same trip in 1 hour. I see it as a similar service as WCE, but with much higher ridership. Purely hypothetical at this point though.
|
But the actual passenger would be much less than 2300 people. The vehicle deck may be full, but the passenger deck is never anywhere near full.
As for comparison to WCE... the catchment area population for WCE is slighter higher than Greater Victoria, and more than 3x as large as Nanaimo... so I don't know how the ridership would be much higher.
Even if there's demand for peak hour service, what about off-peak? For the occasion that you have to work overtime, there was TrainBus (now replaced by SkyTrain), bus, or even taxi if you miss the last WCE. What about the Ferry? Is there going to be demand for evening or late night service on days other than Friday and Sunday? Or the commuter must take a 2 hour detour via the car ferry, if it still run that late at night?
With a possibility of getting stranded in Vancouver, I don't know how many would choose that kind of commute. At least I wouldn't, unless the ferry run at least till 1am for the occasion that I have to stay at office till close to midnight...