HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:51 AM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Perfect.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Bumping up from my previous question thus far unanswered...and rightfully so, since I don't think I made a whole lotta sense.

But I noticed noodling around with the 3d model that looking straight down, the N/S profiles of the tower seem to have the slightest bit of convexity to them...or is that an optical illusion?
It's on the model, also shown on the drawings, and finally on the plans as well. This building is like 9 slabs of varying widths stacked together, somewhat like the Sears Tower in a way.
You have to look closely at the model to see it, but it's how you get a profile like this...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:02 AM

Love it!

Its shape is slightly reminiscent of the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:16 AM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Since 277 and 245 have essentially the same square footage, we could possibly see larger towers than this should they meet the demo man.

But I prefer to keep the two and lobby for half-resi conversion.
I'd be totally down for an apartment in 277
I like the odds of 277 surviving, it's still owned by its original builders, I imagine they're proud of it and want to keep it around.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I'd be totally down for an apartment in 277
I like the odds of 277 surviving, it's still owned by its original builders, I imagine they're proud of it and want to keep it around.
I would imagine the city would want to keep these sites for commercial office uses. That was the whole point of the rezoning. Apartments can go elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's on the model, also shown on the drawings, and finally on the plans as well. This building is like 9 slabs of varying widths stacked together...
Excellent post

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:50 AM
New Yorker for life

It occurred to me that this would be the view from the observation deck at Tower Fifth, just not as high. But I'm still trying to decide if the model is just turned around the wrong way, or if the elevation was changed. The model has the second highest stack facing Madison, while the elevation drawing has it on Park. It works either way.

This will be a massive tower, twice the height of the current one. Just imagine.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: siniaevart

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Nice work. Another Golden Colossus, to go with 45 Broad.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:49 AM

sorry delete this

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:39 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Best render yet IMO.

That N/S convex (vertical setback term) is masterful in its subtlety.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:20 PM

I'm really digging this tower design. Just a shame some of that square footage at the bottom isn't moved more to the top for extra height. At this location it'd need 1700 ft+ to really stand out some. I have a great view of the skyline from my place (Jersey City), but I can hardly see 1 Vandy, so I'm sure this will be hard to see as well.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_alex View Post
I have a great view of the skyline from my place (Jersey City), but I can hardly see 1 Vandy, so I'm sure this will be hard to see as well.
I wouldn't worry much; this is just the beginning of the supertall trend around Grand Central, and we'll probably get a few considerably taller towers.

There are a well over a dozen sites under the rezoning that could easily house supertalls.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I wouldn't worry much; this is just the beginning of the supertall trend around Grand Central, and we'll probably get a few considerably taller towers.

There are a well over a dozen sites under the rezoning that could easily house supertalls.
Well that's kinda my point for this tower. Just wait until the others arrive, this won't really stick out at all. I'm hoping one will go big!

I had a lot of hope for Hudson Yards as well and we never got something like the Hudson Spire. Instead it's all ~1000 ft boxes, with 35 HY of course having an extra 300 ft of mechanical and amenities on top. Which is still great, just really had hope that Chase would do something massive for the NYC hq.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Well that's kinda my point for this tower. Just wait until the others arrive, this won't really stick out at all. I'm hoping one will go big!

I had a lot of hope for Hudson Yards as well and we never got something like the Hudson Spire. Instead it's all ~1000 ft boxes, with 35 HY of course having an extra 300 ft of mechanical and amenities on top. Which is still great, just really had hope that Chase would do something massive for the NYC hq.

Well, the Chase tower will be massive. The overall size hasn't changed. But they were able to work around their predicament, and put more space at the lower floors, which is where they really needed it. It just makes more sense overall to put less people on lower floors, rather than trying to create elevator solutions to put more people higher.

But beyond that, we just barely have a new skyline icon that puts the "New York" back in the New York skyline, in One Vanderbilt. I don't want an overly boxy, blocky building ruining that. This one barely gets by, thanks to the north-south profile, and the crystal-like crown.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
HY is maybe 25% completed/uc/announced. It's just getting started.

There are a huge number of forthcoming towers over the next 20 years, including Related's Phase II, the giant Javits site, the MTA bus garage site, plus all the lots around the new Hudson Boulevard. Then, nearby, there's the PABT redevelopment, Penn Plaza/MSG, the Lincoln Tunnel air rights, etc.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:07 PM

It looks fine.

1Vandy will steal it's shine I feel.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:13 PM

Sure, it would be nice if this became the highest-to-roof tower in the city, but the height (remember, it's going to be a good 20 meters or so taller than 1WTC) combined with the bulk is going to make a tremendous impact on the skyline...to roof it's almost 40 meters taller than One Vanderbilt, and look at how pleased everyone is with that!) If materials quality is as it appears to be in renderings, this building will become an absolute NYC icon the moment it opens.

And remember, not only do we get a skyline redefining building, but we get a vastly improved street-level experience too. Gone is the dark and dreary monolith, replaced by a bright and airy monument.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Looks good! Has the official height been announced? By comparing with One Vanderbilt (1401 ft) in this photo, it seems to be around 1403 ft as we expected, but it could also be slightly shorter.
Happy Boxing Day everyone (i.e., the day after Christmas).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction