HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #18121  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 11:22 PM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The lag is about when it's warmest or coolest in St. John's though, not how warm it is compared to other places.

These climate characteristics are easy to roughly model in simple math terms. The year-round climate is like a sine curve. "Seasonal lag" is an x translation. Warmer vs. colder overall conditions are a y translation. Milder vs. more continental climates, overall variation, amount to multiplication by a coefficient that squishes or expands the curve. All 3 factors affect the temperature at any given time of year.
I know what you are saying but there is a sentiment here that they make up for their spring in the fall, as it relates to the rest of the country.
     
     
  #18122  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 11:58 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Well that was an interesting stretch of weather, hope it's done for another month or two. Going to leave the studded tires on the bike for another day or two, lots more melting to be done in the shaded parts of the pathways.
     
     
  #18123  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:49 AM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is online now
Go Chiefs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 20,189
13C and rainy all day long. We got some of the "warmth" and the temperature climbed to 17C by 7PM. Still 16C right now with a dewpoint of 16C.

Low of 9C this morning under cloudy/drizzly/foggy conditions. Crappy.

The warmspot was Vineland, ON at 31.9C. Did an official station hit 40 humidex? A lot of places in Southern Ontario were stuck at 39. I don't think this country has ever had a humidex of 40 in October. 39 is the highest I could find.

Also, what was the highest dewpoint recorded today (official stations)? The highest I saw was 22.1C in Windsor.

With our mean of 15.7C, this September was the coolest since 2013.

Last edited by Nicko999; Oct 2, 2019 at 3:03 AM.
     
     
  #18124  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:39 AM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Muggy with a high of 30.6. It rained briefly around supper time, then we had a nice warm evening. Currently 20.2 and humid.

After the rain, I went for a walk in Erieau






     
     
  #18125  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:07 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Another sunny day. Tuesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 15 C, the low was 8 C.




Cambie St./Andy Livingstone Park, Vancouver, Oct.1 '19, my pics







Last edited by mcminsen; Oct 2, 2019 at 6:10 PM.
     
     
  #18126  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:14 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I know what you are saying but there is a sentiment here that they make up for their spring in the fall, as it relates to the rest of the country.
I think St. John's weather is more something you have to put up with rather than a mix of good and bad that balances out overall. Life's not fair.

Just as there's nothing that really "balances out" weather anywhere in Canada to make it as good as Los Angeles or Honolulu. Canadian weather is just worse.
     
     
  #18127  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:41 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Just as there's nothing that really "balances out" weather anywhere in Canada to make it as good as Los Angeles or Honolulu. Canadian weather is just worse.
I think that living in someplace like Honolulu, where the climate is so stable no matter what the season, would be dreadfully boring. I think I would lose track of time after a couple of years of that.

Canadian weather may be frequently dreadful, but the seasonal change is refreshing, and certainly never boring.
     
     
  #18128  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:52 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Took some photos yesterday. I always love the juxtaposition between the perfectly white snow, and the emerald green of the leaves when this happens.

Yesterday made it up to 4 degrees, and sunny all day. Currently 8 degrees as of noon, another cloudless day.



     
     
  #18129  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:58 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think that living in someplace like Honolulu, where the climate is so stable no matter what the season, would be dreadfully boring. I think I would lose track of time after a couple of years of that.
Funny you say that, as that's precisely how it felt when I lived in subtropical Taiwan. You really do lose track of time when you're there for an extended period of, uh, time. Conversely, the changing seasons back in Canada were a revelation in a reverse culture shock sort of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Canadian weather may be frequently dreadful, but the seasonal change is refreshing, and certainly never boring.
This is what we tell ourselves. Not sure who we're trying to convince! But oh well, it could be worse. At least I don't live in Calgary.

I could certainly do with a bit more boring on the warm side of things, though.
     
     
  #18130  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:18 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Funny you say that, as that's precisely how it felt when I lived in subtropical Taiwan. You really do lose track of time when you're there for an extended period of, uh, time. Conversely, the changing seasons back in Canada were a revelation in a reverse culture shock sort of way.


This is what we tell ourselves. Not sure who we're trying to convince! But oh well, it could be worse. At least I don't live in Calgary.

I could certainly do with a bit more boring on the warm side of things, though.
While Canadian winters can be uncomfortable and depressing for many people, the monotony of having the same weather (pretty much) year-round is definitely a tangible thing.

If you consider how Canadians allegedly suffer horribly through months of winter every year, you'd think that they'd be squeezing out every second of summertime delights during the warmest part of the year. Though just looking at my neighbourhood there is a noticeable drop of people dining outside or swimming in pools as August wears on, even though the weather can be as nice or nicer than it is in early June.

Yes, outdoor activities do sometimes pick up in late September if we get a warm spell, in the sense that it's our "last chance". But even then...

Even Canadians (and I assume Russians and Scandinavians too) get blasé about summer weather after a few months.

Also, if you've spent time in the southern U.S. warm(er) weather doesn't necessarily mean there will be more people out on city streets than you'd see in Toronto or Montreal (and much less Moscow) on an average winter day.
     
     
  #18131  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:22 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think that living in someplace like Honolulu, where the climate is so stable no matter what the season, would be dreadfully boring. I think I would lose track of time after a couple of years of that.

Canadian weather may be frequently dreadful, but the seasonal change is refreshing, and certainly never boring.
My ideal would probably still have seasons but it would have a week or two of "fake" winter with a bit of snow and temperatures around 0, a lot of sun, and not too much summer heat.

Somewhere like Asheville NC is probably pretty good and I might like that more than Honolulu. However, I am pretty skeptical that clearly-defined seasons are so important that people would actually rather have, say, St. John's or Ottawa weather rather than San Diego.

Coastal BC has much less clearly-defined seasons than, say, Edmonton or Toronto (we really only have ~2, a short dry and sunny one and a long cool and wet one), and I know what my choice there would be.
     
     
  #18132  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:23 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While Canadian winters can be uncomfortable and depressing for many people, the monotony of having the same weather (pretty much) year-round is definitely a tangible thing.

If you consider how Canadians allegedly suffer horribly through months of winter every year, you'd think that they'd be squeezing out every second of summertime delights during the warmest part of the year. Though just looking at my neighbourhood there is a noticeable drop of people dining outside or swimming in pools as August wears on, even though the weather can be as nice or nicer than it is in early June.

Yes, outdoor activities do sometimes pick up in late September if we get a warm spell, in the sense that it's our "last chance". But even then...

Even Canadians (and I assume Russians and Scandinavians too) get blasé about summer weather after a few months.

Also, if you've spent time in the southern U.S. warm(er) weather doesn't necessarily mean there will be more people out on city streets than you'd see in Toronto or Montreal (and much less Moscow) on an average winter day.
I never get blasé about summer weather. I would gladly take 2 or 3 more months of it. Maybe it’s just me.
     
     
  #18133  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:35 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I never get blasé about summer weather. I would gladly take 2 or 3 more months of it. Maybe it’s just me.
No, it's me, too. I like a stretch of heat that you can depend on. We didn't get that this year due to the cold and rainy spring going right into June. Summer was far too short.

I've never been able to relate to the idea of "the dog days of summer." I associate autumn with melancholy, and I always find it difficult to adjust to the first stretch of legitimately cool weather in October (it's here now).
     
     
  #18134  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:38 PM
whatnext whatnext is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,105
The not-so-good news about the Indian Summer that Toronto and others have been experiencing:

Exceptional heat wave topples October records across much of the U.S.

It’s another steamy summer day across the eastern half of the United States. The only problem? It’s October.

Temperatures are peaking on Wednesday during an extended stretch of high heat and humidity east of the Mississippi River. The mercury is soaring well into the 90s from the nation’s capital to Florida to Texas, and just about everywhere in between. Wednesday looks to be the hottest day before the heat settles south of Interstate 20 by Friday and into the weekend....

....However, nationwide, the high temperature records overwhelmingly outnumber the cold records during the past week as well as longer periods as well. This is consistent with trends that have been tied to human-caused global warming, which is favoring warm temperature records, particularly above average overnight low temperatures.

Overall, increasing global temperatures are upping the odds and severity of heat waves around the world.

Along the boundary between the hot conditions in the East and cooler weather in the West, heavy rain and severe weather was firing up across the Great Plains.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2...-topples-october-records-across-much-us/
     
     
  #18135  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:42 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
If Canada had a place with year round nice weather, I'd be the first to move there. I personally think extreme SW Ontario is the best you can get in Canada, and that's why I moved here (I also grew up here before spending over 20 years away)

It has to be nice summer weather though. In the US South, it's too hot, so summer there is like winter to us, where people avoid the outdoors due to the discomfort.
     
     
  #18136  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:44 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The not-so-good news about the Indian Summer that Toronto and others have been experiencing:
That wasn't Indian summer. Indian summer is something that happens in October.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_summer
     
     
  #18137  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:44 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
My ideal would probably still have seasons but it would have a week or two of "fake" winter with a bit of snow and temperatures around 0, a lot of sun, and not too much summer heat.

Somewhere like Asheville NC is probably pretty good and I might like that more than Honolulu. However, I am pretty skeptical that clearly-defined seasons are so important that people would actually rather have, say, St. John's or Ottawa weather rather than San Diego.

Coastal BC has much less clearly-defined seasons than, say, Edmonton or Toronto (we really only have ~2, a short dry and sunny one and a long cool and wet one), and I know what my choice there would be.
I don't know about the reasons for people's overall stated climate preferences, but in terms of actual observable behaviour there is clearly a steep decline in people acting like summer is something special that needs to be cherished as the summer wears on.
     
     
  #18138  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:50 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is online now
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The not-so-good news about the Indian Summer that Toronto and others have been experiencing:

Exceptional heat wave topples October records across much of the U.S.

It’s another steamy summer day across the eastern half of the United States. The only problem? It’s October.

Temperatures are peaking on Wednesday during an extended stretch of high heat and humidity east of the Mississippi River. The mercury is soaring well into the 90s from the nation’s capital to Florida to Texas, and just about everywhere in between. Wednesday looks to be the hottest day before the heat settles south of Interstate 20 by Friday and into the weekend....

....However, nationwide, the high temperature records overwhelmingly outnumber the cold records during the past week as well as longer periods as well. This is consistent with trends that have been tied to human-caused global warming, which is favoring warm temperature records, particularly above average overnight low temperatures.

Overall, increasing global temperatures are upping the odds and severity of heat waves around the world.

Along the boundary between the hot conditions in the East and cooler weather in the West, heavy rain and severe weather was firing up across the Great Plains.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2...-topples-october-records-across-much-us/
Right now, the heat is just on the other side of Lake Erie. It's been hovering around 19-20C here and rainy today, will be the same tomorrow.

Look at the contrast on this current map:


Technically "Indian summer" would be later, after we've had some frost, or at least a couple weeks of sweater weather. For Ontario, warm, sunny weather in late October or early November would be considered Indian Summer. In my area, we haven't had any cool weather yet, still shorts and t-shirts. Our first taste of cool weather will be on Friday.
     
     
  #18139  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:52 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know about the reasons for people's overall stated climate preferences, but in terms of actual observable behaviour there is clearly a steep decline in people acting like summer is something special that needs to be cherished as the summer wears on.
Here I feel like on good years I'm pretty happy by the end and on bad years I am not. It's not clear if this is due to some set amount of summer being good or if it just due to expectations. Probably expectations.

I was talking to somebody who moved here from the Southern US and he said he still can't get used to the seasons here being so weird. By this he means summer only running from June to September (or being a 3-week period from late July to mid August in bad years..).

(This may cause some upset but I always feel a bit like this in the fall in Vancouver, that the dreariness sets in much earlier than I expect.)
     
     
  #18140  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:00 PM
wave46 wave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know about the reasons for people's overall stated climate preferences, but in terms of actual observable behaviour there is clearly a steep decline in people acting like summer is something special that needs to be cherished as the summer wears on.
Most people live in climate-controlled bubbles these days. Work in them too.

Weather is an event that happens outside the window.

For all the complaining, I've spent but a few minutes each year feeling exceptionally cold or hot for an extended time that I didn't subject myself voluntarily to (and prepared for).
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.