HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 2:27 PM

This is going to be an outstanding addition to Austin's skyline! I'm excited to see it rise!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:05 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Today is supposedly the last day for AFD to play with their hoses at the hotel. So maybe we'll see some destruction this weekend (or Monday).
This can be taken in a completely different manner lol!!!

Sorry but since nobody else brought it up, I had to go there LMAO!

It's going to be so much fun watching this tower rise!

Is it just me or does the crown look taller? Also the overall tone of the glass is definitely darker than before. This building will have a completely different effect than what the old renderings were showing. This is going to be a big, mean looking monster on the skyline! Love it!

Also notice ZaZa is completed in the latest rendering!

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Sep 28, 2019 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:48 PM

It’s going to be head and shoulders taller than everything else around. Criminy, even just the podium will be as taller or taller than most of the surrounding mid rises.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:28 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
I am really excited for this project!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 9:11 PM

This will be an amazing tower, but there's almost 17 acres of parking on this thing. I feel like we're reaching peak podium. Not to detract from the great design of this tower overall, though. Especially the outdoor space!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 11:15 PM

Its best side will be its east side by far. Unfortunately it will be covered up somewhat so you won't be able to see the continuity from ground to roof from a distance. Density be damned! But from street level looking up, its going to be a ball slapper and the bomb!! Is that what the kids are saying these days about something awesome?? I'm trying to keep up...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 11:19 PM

I can't wait until we break the 1,000 ft barrier. Hopefully it'll happen in the next 5 years...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I can't wait until we break the 1,000 ft barrier.
I feel like this has come up dozens of times in this thread but Austin is already overachieving with its skyline. A 1000' tower puts us in competition with NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA, San Fran, Atlanta, and Houston. The smallest of those cities still has two million more residents than Austin.

Even 6 X Guadalupe at 848' only adds Cleveland, Seattle, Dallas, Charlotte, and Miami to the list. We're bigger than Cleveland, but the Key Tower is an outlier. Charlotte is 400k larger than Austin. Most cities our size have a tallest in the area of 600'.

It would be great to see, but 1000' is very unlikely for the near future.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:21 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I feel like this has come up dozens of times in this thread but Austin is already overachieving with its skyline. A 1000' tower puts us in competition with NYC, Chicago, Philly, LA, San Fran, Atlanta, and Houston. The smallest of those cities still has two million more residents than Austin.

Even 6 X Guadalupe at 848' only adds Cleveland, Seattle, Dallas, Charlotte, and Miami to the list. We're bigger than Cleveland, but the Key Tower is an outlier. Charlotte is 400k larger than Austin. Most cities our size have a tallest in the area of 600'.

It would be great to see, but 1000' is very unlikely for the near future.
I take it that you mean Charlotte's metro pop.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Its best side will be its east side by far. Unfortunately it will be covered up somewhat so you won't be able to see the continuity from ground to roof from a distance. Density be damned! But from street level looking up, its going to be a ball slapper and the bomb!! Is that what the kids are saying these days about something awesome?? I'm trying to keep up...
I appreciate your affinity for the east side. Personally, I’m pretty partial to the north and west sides.

If you’re curious about the east side, you should seek me out on Instagram. I rejoined today. You might find some nice things.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:25 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I don't think the bomb is used often these days but we said it a lot when I was in highschool in the 90s though we said tha bomb instead of the. Never heard of ball slapper, sure wasn't slang in the 90s at least not with anyone I knew lol. Off tha chain was pretty common. I know I know this is completely off topic... I'll set it right.

This tower is gonna be off tha chain yo!!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Blume View Post
I appreciate your affinity for the east side. Personally, I’m pretty partial to the north and west sides.

If you’re curious about the east side, you should seek me out on Instagram. I rejoined today. You might find some nice things.
Welcome back. I found your Instagram earlier today through myBrain's post from Gensler's Instagram. I love the night time renderings.

The current champ and future champ:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Sep 29, 2019 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:

Welcome back George! I really have a liking to all four sides of this tower, the design and height of the tower will make a great addition to the Austin skyline, nicely done!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I don't think the bomb is used often these days but we said it a lot when I was in highschool in the 90s though we said tha bomb instead of the. Never heard of ball slapper, sure wasn't slang in the 90s at least not with anyone I knew lol. Off tha chain was pretty common. I know I know this is completely off topic... I'll set it right.

This tower is gonna be off tha chain yo!!!
Yeah, I'm just going to drop the slang and just say, I need to stay alive long enough to see this to fruition. Who among us who lived here in the 80s would have thought this was even remotely possible for Austin? The east side is my idea of what a signature tower looks like, and while the other three sides aren't quite what I envisioned, I have to say, the fact that it has 4 unique sides is an absolutely brilliant design that breaks the mold, something some of us have been grumbling for, for years. Now if we can get AFD to stop playing with their hoses, we can finally get down to the business of building this amazing structure. I'm not getting younger.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:

I will, and actually just did. First time on Instagram. I usually don't spend much time on social media, but your invite was intriguing. Welcome back. You were missed. You might have noticed the love affair we are all having with 6X. At least most of us. It really is a beautiful tower, and having 4 unique sides makes it remarkable. Besides 6X, I'm curious what other downtown towers either proposed or under construction are you impressed with?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 3:33 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Curious, if this breaks ground and stays on time, around when do yall think this should be topped out? Maybe 2021, early 2022?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Curious, if this breaks ground and stays on time, around when do yall think this should be topped out? Maybe 2021, early 2022?
Someone else was saying in one of the other threads that Austin seems to complete its skyscraper projects in about 2.5-3 years.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 9:00 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Welcome back, George! Missed ya!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 9:55 PM

that's a hefty ass building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin