HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It has not been adding lately. It's been subtracting. My guess is between 2705000 and 2710000.
sounds about right, maybe a little less

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
sounds about right, maybe a little less
The ACS and the estimate survey usually are close to one another. However, each has been adjusted the last 2 years and added 10k people to the initial estimates. Always take it with a little grain of salt. I think the v5 year ACS is a little more accurate in any case.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 6:53 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yeah it's not like those other North Shore towns.

Somehow, however, I still like Oak Park's vibe more. Hard to explain...
Evanston is more edgy, partly because of Northwestern but also because it has more class diversity. Evanston Township High School has 38.4% students eligible for free/reduced lunch, whereas Oak Park River Forest has only 21.5%.

Oak Park's diversity is the result of a carefully managed integration process, whereas Evanston's is due to the historic presence of a black/Latino underclass.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The ACS and the estimate survey usually are close to one another. However, each has been adjusted the last 2 years and added 10k people to the initial estimates. Always take it with a little grain of salt. I think the v5 year ACS is a little more accurate in any case.
Interesting. I just looked at the most recent ACS five year estimate and it actually shows that Chicago grew from 2016 to 2017.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

city income up 11%, poverty down 5 points in just 4 years!

Quote:
Chicago household income grows, poverty drops for 5th straight year, new census data shows

By Manny Ramos@_ManuelRamos_ Sep 26, 2019, 10:39am CDT

Chicago saw positive signs of growth in household income and a declining percentage of people are living below the poverty line for the fifth straight year, new census data shows.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates the city’s median household income increased nearly 11% — from $51,695 in 2014 to $57,238 in 2018, edging higher each year.

The surging city income is coupled with a drop in the percentage of people living below the poverty line. Just over 17% of city residents were below the poverty line — down from 22% in 2014.
source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/9/...al-demographer

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:02 PM
The City

A little diddy about Jump Trading, a rising star in trading:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/fina...-credit-market

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:41 PM
BANNED

September 26, 2019 01:54 PM |updated 10 hours ago

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/crai...-lure-business

Chicago sees enviable water supply as future lure for business

A California drought and talk of water becoming more valuable than oil or gold mobilized Chicago officials several years ago to explore recruiting companies in water-stressed areas to the shores of Lake Michigan.

As the impacts of climate change become more visible, the impulse was understandable. Chicago is well-positioned to capitalize on its access to the Great Lakes—a fifth of the planet's freshwater—and the technology base growing up around it.

Many believe water will shape Chicago's economic future like little else, with the water industry becoming digitized much like telecom and other industries.

World Business Chicago, the city's job recruitment arm and a partner in Current, estimated in 2016 that water-intensive industries here, including energy production, already account for more than $100 billion in annual output. Another $14 billion is attributed to infrastructure- and tech-related firms.

With predictive analytics, artificial intelligence and other methods, industry could usher in an era of "fit for purpose" water, purified at different levels for different uses. An example: Breweries, including Chicago's Lagunitas, use drinkable water to wash insides of bottles, reuse it to wash their outsides and use it again to mop the floors.

Another innovation could involve Chicago's abundant production of wastewater, according to Seth Darling, chief of Argonne National Laboratory's Center for Advanced Materials for Energy-Water Systems. A pilot project at the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District plant in Stickney, for instance, is removing phosphorous from wastewater for resale.

"I don't think there is currently any consensus (research and development) center for water in the United States today, but I believe this region is poised to assume that position," he says. "This is, literally, an untapped resource."

The potential for Chicago's water has its enthusiasts, such as water company investor and California transplant Michael Reardon, who says Chicago could become "the Silicon Valley of water. There's a lot of energy and innovation, but it still takes leadership to connect the dots."

While water isn't a corporate magnet for Chicago today, Darling says, "over time, not just for Chicago but for the Great Lakes region, that will be a huge draw."

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:45 AM

My guess is that they will hire another 500+ people for this ontop of the Freight hires and maybe even up to 1000.

Uber launches staffing business in Chicago

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...=hero-headline

Quote:
After more than a year in stealth mode, Uber, which became synonymous with "gig economy," is launching a staffing business in Chicago on Friday to supply on-demand workers to other companies.

The new business, called Uber Works, has been in stealth mode in Chicago for more than a year. It’s the second business outside Uber’s original on-demand taxi service based in Chicago.

Uber Works will be led by Andrey Liscovich. He declined to specify how many employees the unit will have but said, "We plan to grow rapidly."

Temporary staffing is slightly different, because employers need workers for defined shifts. Uber will partner with staffing agencies, starting with TrueBlue, to handle the paperwork for employment screening, verification and payroll.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:01 AM
The City

^ Yeah, this is great news

Another big name tech-affiliated HQ without incentives

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yeah, this is great news

Another big name tech-affiliated HQ without incentives
Agreed and I think this and Uber Freight are more likely to not implode, I'd rather have these companies than the original Uber here

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 7:16 PM

Consulting firm aims to hire 800 at new West Loop HQ
West Monroe Partners signed a big lease at 311 W. Monroe to make room for the workers it's looking to add over the next five years

"In a deal that gives it naming rights to a revamped office building, West Monroe Partners leased 208,000 square feet at 311 W. Monroe St., where it will move its downtown headquarters, the company said today."

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...w-west-loop-hq

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 11:10 PM

Freelance-accounting startup Paro raises $10 million

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...ses-10-million

Quote:
aro, an online marketplace for freelance accounting and finance professionals, has raised $10 million.

The three-year-old company, which was started by former Deloitte consultant Michael Burdick, has grown to 65 employees from about 25 a year ago. It plans to double headcount in the next year, mainly in sales and technology.

Companies use Paro to find freelance accountants and other financial professionals. Burdick says the company has thousands of freelancers and hundreds of clients, mostly middle-market companies looking for particular expertise. Paro handles billing for the freelancers and provides software to help them manage their businesses.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 7:19 PM

Not sure if the bolded means they'd move all the offices to Chicago. However, I think it means that at least many of the heads of the Atlanta based orgs would move to Chicago.

Chicago-Based AHEAD Merges With 2 Atlanta Companies

https://www.americaninno.com/chicago...nta-companies/

Quote:
AHEAD, a Chicago tech company that helps companies modernize their digital business infrastructure, is joining forces with two Atlanta-based businesses to help more companies transition to the cloud.

AHEAD announced Friday that it is merging with Data Blue, an Atlanta company that, like AHEAD, helps companies with digital transformations. The combined businesses are also acquiring Sovereign Systems, a smaller tech company also out of Atlanta.

The combined company will generate $1.3 billion in gross revenues and have around 600 employees, AHEAD CEO and founder Daniel Adamany said in an interview. AHEAD is the largest of the three individual businesses in both revenue and headcount. It has around 400 employees.

All three companies will maintain their branding for the rest of the year, but Adamany said the combined business will come under one unified brand in 2020 and will be headquartered in Chicago.

AHEAD, which hired 100 new employees in 2018 and expects to hire a total of 150 new workers this year, said the new entity will continue hiring at a fast clip.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:45 PM

[MODERATOR CLEANUP] Moved all demographic discussions over here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...208431&page=92

. . .

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:25 PM

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/3...losing-denver/

Sucks that there are layoffs, but a win for the beloved!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/3...losing-denver/

Sucks that there are layoffs, but a win for the beloved!
Sorry Denver!

Now that's what I call poaching! Hit the Sunbelt and take der jerbs!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Sorry Denver!

Now that's what I call poaching! Hit the Sunbelt and take der jerbs!
Lol, love the attitude, but since when is Denver part of the Sunbelt? I think it’s already snowed there...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Lol, love the attitude, but since when is Denver part of the Sunbelt? I think it’s already snowed there...
Snowed.....pfh.... it was 15 degrees yesterday and we got 6-10 inches. Luckily it will all be gone by next week.

As a Denver resident, I could care less about us losing Coors, although the loss of the jobs sucks a bit. Overall though, whatever. Colorado is known for their craft scene, not that shit water that Coors makes.

I am curious what is spurring this move though. Are they planning on swallowing up someone in your neck of the woods?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Snowed.....pfh.... it was 15 degrees yesterday and we got 6-10 inches. Luckily it will all be gone by next week.

As a Denver resident, I could care less about us losing Coors, although the loss of the jobs sucks a bit. Overall though, whatever. Colorado is known for their craft scene, not that shit water that Coors makes.

I am curious what is spurring this move though. Are they planning on swallowing up someone in your neck of the woods?
From what I've read it's purely a cost savings move. They already have a large corporate office here. Not really sure what they would buy in the region.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Fuck yeah

In a landmark moment in Colorado beer and business history, Molson Coors announced Wednesday that it will move its North American headquarters from Denver to Chicago...

Some executives may be offered the opportunity to relocate to Chicago, while some support staff may be offered positions in Milwaukee. The staffing changes will be made by the end of 2019

About 300 of those employees work in the Denver office, and “a lot of those people will be offered jobs and relocation packages to remain with the company and their teams,”

State officials lamented the company’s decision. Michelle Hadwiger, global business development director for the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade, called Coors synonymous with Colorado in a statement issued Wednesday.

The difficult staffing decision to merge Colorado-based jobs into a central, out-of-state location is disappointing for many Colorado families,”

The brewery will also focus on more premium products moving forward, “beyond just light beer, to meet the needs of … consumers,”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest