Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00
My reading of your posts on here, is that you really struggle to see transit as an issue for the whole city, rather than just from the perspective of a south end resident.
I advocated for what I thought was best for the city at large. I see nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for.
This is what I talk about when I mention your inability to see the challenges of the city as a whole. You see no downsides to the original plan not having a tunnel. You see nothing wrong with the first major rail project not expanding the rail network to new areas (as opposed to a lot of rebuilding of an existing corridor). You see nothing wrong with putting development and future ridership over current riders. Most of all, you don't seem at all concerned with the capacity issues the core was facing at the time, which should have been priority #1 for any transit plan. An argument to delay a solution is not a satisfactory argument to me....and apparently a lot of other voters in the city.
Stage 2 is not what the Chiarelli LRT plan had in mind, but pretending the Trillium Line is not getting any upgrades at all is what costs you credibility in these debates. The South is still getting a hell of a lot more than Barrhaven or Kanata are. It's getting more than inner areas like Vanier. And just because it didn't deliver all of the Chiarelli plan, you are going to pretend there's no benefit at all?
I wanna to sit you and Uhuniau down face to face and have you tell him that you and your end of the city are more hard done by than his part of town.
|
Remember, I am expressing regret, not a demand.
I supported the N-S plan because it benefited the whole of the south part of the city that also lacked roads. At the time, we did not have the money to do anything more and the cost per km was very low for the population it was going to serve especially in the future. Those future development plans are not going to change. Bravo, that we have found much more money since then.
I did not necessarily support the whole of the Chiarelli plan but I must admit it was a much less downtown-centric plan than what the current plans will deliver over the next decades.
For those of us living inside the Greenbelt, Phase 2 of the Trillium Line offers very little benefit. We neither get a direct route to downtown nor improved frequency. It essentially remains the 'student' train to Carleton.
In one regard, we do clearly disagree. I did favour delivering transit early to new development as an experiment to see how it could influence design and transportation focus. There is a clear further advantage of delivering transit early as it costs much less to do so than trying to wedge it through existing development. Also, we can locate it for maximum benefit, whereas later building requires it to follow the 'available' corridor rather than the 'best' corridor.
I have said it many times, that the Chiarelli plan was flawed and it is for that reason, I have said for years that I support the downtown tunnel to the serve the city well as a whole. I talk about the Trillium Line much more often because it is much more flawed.
Please don't bring up Uhaniau. I have been quite supportive of inner city needs and I have spoken about that within the last week. Remember, that the Chiarelli plan included LRT on Montreal Road, something that should never be built unless there is at least exclusive lanes. Current plans offer nothing more than cycle tracks that will actually impede transit.
Yes, I advocate for South Ottawa but I also look at the picture as a whole too.