Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly
11th and market and going down to at least 5th isn't really any better either. I walked it today and there was some funky smell, like urine or something along Market St that made me queasy. Also, this part of Market St. looked dirty or didn't present itself well. Did not see anything remarkable at the moment to want to be hanging around. Maybe if I had to shop at 5 Below or something, I would do so and move on. Didn't feel like there was a particular reason to hang around. However, with all this being said, I still hold out hope that big and small changes will move the needle to a better feel and look on Market going into Old City going forward. Personally, I think some nice planters and other softscapes could go a long way. Maybe store front owners could powerwash away the smell and grime on the sidewalks too.
|
I walk that stretch every day. I think the smell is from the trash in the sewer system. It smells like a garbage truck. If you look down in there, you can see it rotting. And I get the feeling there is no plan for that to go away.
The homelessness and vagrancy is going to be a very difficult problem to wash away from that stretch. Tourism will always make that a destination for that crowd - tourists are the ones giving out the cash. And the fact that no one has figured out how or if they want to move them along (whether you really can or not) is the issue.
I think the North side of Market is actually pretty much done - from City Hall to Indy Hall. It's the South side that needs work. But It seems that more than one prospective developer has indicated that further development will hinge on how well the East Market/FDP numbers. I'm really hoping for that to hit well. That damn Disney hole kills me everytime. I keep imagining a huge art deco hotel with upscale ground floor retail everytime I walk by.
11th street, south of market is going to look completely different in a few years. There is incredible momentum going on there.