HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
i do know trader joes is moving into elmwood
WOW, that's awesome. I have constantly wondered why there was not either a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in Elmwood, especially after the Huey P expansion. Are they moving from the Veterans location or is this a new location?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
WOW, that's awesome. I have constantly wondered why there was not either a Whole Foods or Trader Joes in Elmwood, especially after the Huey P expansion. Are they moving from the Veterans location or is this a new location?
heard this from the people who work at Pier 1 there... apparently thats where its going .. dont know timeframe just know they said the lease rates were going up so much and they didnt renew and apparently trader joes is moving in ..

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
heard this from the people who work at Pier 1 there... apparently thats where its going .. dont know timeframe just know they said the lease rates were going up so much and they didnt renew and apparently trader joes is moving in ..
I think it's possible they are just taking the place of another retailer, but I remember when the apartment project on the former Kmart site was announced they said that they were trying to attract a grocery store for the ground level retail. I'm sure we'll see some shuffling over the next few years at any rate.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I think it's possible they are just taking the place of another retailer, but I remember when the apartment project on the former Kmart site was announced they said that they were trying to attract a grocery store for the ground level retail. I'm sure we'll see some shuffling over the next few years at any rate.
I know they were in talks with Aldi last year but not sure how that panned out.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 8:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boryenka View Post
I know they were in talks with Aldi last year but not sure how that panned out.
id def take Trader Joes over an aldi any day ...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:07 PM
-

300 Canal St, 311 Gravier St, 119 S Peters St·Zoning Verification · Project #19-1753 · Ref Code:0ECN8J
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Zoning Verification
Applicant:
Canal 66 Partnership
Verification Letter Issuance
Date Filed:
9/3/2019
Closed:
Yes
Description:

djsnola
1028 Canal St·Sidewalk Use Commercial Sidewalk Use · Ref Code1DX2S
Type:
Sidewalk Use Commercial Sidewalk Use
Applicant:
HI New Orleans Hostelling International
Application Filed
Date Filed:
9/3/2019
Closed:
No
1028 Canal St

djsnola
3119 Jackson Ave·New Construction · Ref Code:4RF2CU
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Myles Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/4/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A PRE-ENGINEERED METAL BUILDING FOR A MARDI GRAS FLOAT DEN

The Vintage Rock Club Attracts a Following Through Private Events – and Saints Games

The concept has evolved and soon, Brechtel says, it will expand. The building behind Vintage Rock Club, Walk-On’s, and Copper Vine will eventually become a private event space that generates additional revenue for Brechtel Hospitality.

https://www.bizneworleans.com/the-vi...-saints-games/

I love these kinds of things.. we should do more of these on some of the interstate soundwalls so that it helps prevent graffiti:

Sprucing up a New Orleans floodwall? On Tchoupitoulas, a mile-long mural comes into focus

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...62c76a051.html

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 4, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:20 PM
-

MAYOR CANTRELL CELEBRATES $6.643M PROJECT TO RENOVATE UNION PASSENGER TERMINAL
NEW ORLEANS – Mayor LaToya Cantrell today joined other elected officials and partners in celebrating the awarding grant funding for a $6.643 million project to improve the New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal (UPT).

“The Union Passenger Terminal platform is a big deal in the City of New Orleans, right in our core, right in our heart. This terminal was once a gleaming station of yesteryear, and now we are going to bring it back better than it’s been before, and that’s thanks to a strong partnership,” said Mayor Cantrell.

Mayor Cantrell also thanked federal partners, including U.S. Sens. Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy; U.S. Reps. Cedric Richmond (D-New Orleans), Steve Scalise (R-Jefferson) and Garrett Graves (R-Baton Rouge); the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Federal Railroad Administration; and local and regional partners including Southern Rail Commission, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development, and the Regional Planning Commission.

The Office of Transportation, created by Mayor Cantrell in her first month in office and led by Director Laura Bryan, supervised the grant process in working with federal partners.

“Thank you, Mayor (Cantrell) for having a vision, because renovating this terminal, if you will, is actually not about tomorrow. It’s not even about next year. It’s about 10 to 15 to 20 years from now,” said Sen. Cassidy. “This allows an economic union between New Orleans, Jefferson Parish, the River Parishes, Baton Rouge and beyond – not only to those communities, but to the benefit of our state.”

Mayor Cantrell was also joined by representatives from the Office of Transportation, Amtrak, the New Orleans Building Corporation (NOBC) and the Regional Planning Commission.

Funding for the project includes a $3.7 million federal grant, $2 million in matching funds from the City of New Orleans and the NOBC, and $943,000 in matching funds from Amtrak.

The project includes upgrades to the terminal platform. This includes:

Platform modifications: ADA compliance, level boarding for two Amtrak trains (Sunset Limited and City of New Orleans) and improve step height for the third train (Crescent)
Level boarding will improve the station’s accessibility for nearly 200,000 annual passengers
Increased reliability with improved updates, including expansion of the rail platform canopy, and updating the lighting, air, electrical and water systems
Aids the City-assisted evacuation program (re-fencing and adding a gate for direct connection, trains for evacuation)
Work is scheduled to begin in 2020 and to end in 2022.

"Amtrak commends Mayor Cantrell and her leadership in seeking this federal grant for UPT, which we matched with $900,000 to make needed ADA improvements. New Orleans is one of two places on the Amtrak network where our customers change between eastern and western trains," said Ray Lang, Senior Director, Amtrak Government Affairs. "This work will benefit our current customers and set the stage for more service to and from New Orleans with our partners at the Southern Rail Commission."

The Union Passenger Terminal was built in 1954 during Mayor DeLesseps Morrison's administration. Besides Amtrak, Greyhound Lines, Megabus, Flixbus and the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority also use the terminal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:21 PM
-

RTA SERVICE ENHANCEMENTS BEGIN THIS MONTH
NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans Regional Transit Authority (RTA) riders this month began experiencing more frequent service in New Orleans East and Algiers, and enjoying extra hours of operation on the Algiers Point-Canal Street Ferry, the RTA has announced.

"I want to thank the RTA for listening to our residents as well as the leadership of the City of New Orleans. They have implemented these enhanced services, providing improved access and more transportation options for the community, especially in previously under-served areas of Algiers and New Orleans East," said Mayor LaToya Cantrell. "Transportation is one of my top priorities, and when I took office, I created the City’s first Office of Transportation and prioritized RTA. Transportation is infrastructure, and my administration is ensuring that our infrastructure is accessible, equitable, safe and efficient for all. We are looking at this through an equity lens, and appreciate how this expanded service will help those residents most in need."

The new service enhancements will primarily be helping transit riders who live in New Orleans East, Algiers, and those who ride the Canal Street Ferry. Many of them are late-night hospitality workers who have been asking for more frequent bus service and more hours on the ferry in order to get to and from work much easier.

The public comment process for these service enhancements officially kicked off during the RTA’s May 28, 2019, board meeting. The first public engagement meeting was held June 5, 2019, at the Riders Advisory Committee (RAC) meeting. During the July 23, RTA Board meeting, board commissioners approved the services presented below.

Community members have had the opportunity to provide comments during various public meetings, community outreach events and through the RTA website. Ultimately, the four services below were advanced for implementation and went into effect Sunday, Sept. 1.

New Orleans East and Algiers neighbors/leaders, as well as ferry supporters, had been asking for more service to improve transportation to and from their neighborhoods. On Aug. 21, the Authority held its final public hearing on implementing the service enhancements specified below. A majority of community members were supportive of the enhancements and wanted to see them move forward.

New Orleans East Service Enhancements
63-New Orleans East Owl: This bus line will provide service every 30 minutes. (Currently, service is provided every 60 minutes.)
64-Lake Forest Express & 65-Read-Crowder Express: Each bus line will provide service every 30 minutes weekdays, all day long. On weekdays, the two bus lines will also be broken into two separate lines and operate independently both inbound and outbound. (Currently, service is provided every 30 minutes, during AM and PM peak hours.)
Algiers Service Enhancements
114-General DeGaulle-Sullen & 115-General DeGaulle-Tullis – Each bus line will provide service every 25-30 minutes, during the following peak times: 6 a.m.-10 a.m. and 3:20 p.m.-7:25 p.m. (Currently, each bus line provides service every 45 minutes.)
Ferry Service Enhancement
Algiers Point-Canal Street Ferry – Service will begin every morning at 6 a.m., daily. (Currently, ferry service begins at 10 a.m. on weekends).
To learn more, visit www.RTAforward.org or call Rideline at 504-248-3900.

Since taking office, Mayor Cantrell has appointed four new RTA Commissioners: Laura Bryan, Fred Neal, Mark Raymond and Art Walton. Commissioners Bryan and Walton are senior staff in the Cantrell Administration who facilitate closer coordination between the RTA and City; Commissioner Neal is a long-time transit advocate and regular transit user; and Vice Chair Raymond is an advocate for people with disabilities.

# # #

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:48 PM
-

1535 Canal crane coming down next week. good to see its near to opening

1535 Canal St, N Villere St Side·Dumpster/Construction Zone · Permit #19-28077-RCZD · Ref Code:UK1Q2U
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
Pra-Se Construction, Lp
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
9/5/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Dismantle tower crane for six (6) days, from September 09, 2019 to September 14, 2019, as per sketch.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 5:56 PM
-

Union Savings Building Renovation.. good news for those of you that wanted the building to maintain the 1960s look instead of 1880s.. Fidelity Bank will be using the 60s facade for rehab

Fun aerial of hard rock hotel

https://www.instagram.com/p/B18yobzFGkx/

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 5, 2019 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:46 PM
-

2424 Tulane project from 12.6.18 to 9.3.19
#progression
#aerialimaging
#dronesinconstruction
Gibbs Construction..

Fleming Construction installed a new driveway panel on Mirabeau Ave. after completing the underground portion of the bioswales. Once complete, the sandy area will feature native plants in a garden setting that will slow water during a rain event. @resilientNOLA

LAST MONTH BREAKWATER DRIVE IMPROVEMENT PROJECT BEGAN https://roadwork.nola.gov/…/breakwat...rovement-p…/ #nolaprogress #cityofyes @mayorcantrell The City Of NOLA

Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 to Close Temporarily for Repairs
NEW ORLEANS — On Monday, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 is scheduled to close temporarily for maintenance and repairs conducted by the Department of Property Management.

During the closure, neither the public nor commercial tours will be permitted in the cemetery. Tomb owners may continue to access their family plot and make funeral arrangements by calling Property Management at (504) 658-3781 to set an appointment.

Some of planned work includes:

Thorough cleanup of debris
Trimming of grass, overgrowth from street trees
Removal of magnolia trees
Repair of water line
Removal and repaving of walking paths
Structural repair of brick wall on the Coliseum side
Repairs of abandoned tombs
Drainage improvements
One of New Orleans’ most historic cemeteries, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 is located in the Garden District.

217 Camp St·Attached Sign · Ref Code:UYFCVH
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
Studiowta
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/29/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Outrigger flagpole on building facade.

djsnola
212 Loyola Ave·Attached Sign · Ref Code23V22
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
Cage Blumstein
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/4/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
LOYOLA AVE HI-RISE (A) Install (1) set of 4’-2" to 2’-6" (Sonesta) LED illuminated channel letters with (1) 5’-0" X 5’-5" single face LED illuminated sign cabinet. LOYOLA AVE GROUND LEVEL (B) Install (1) set of 4’-2" to 2’-6" (Sonesta) LED illuminated channel letters with (1) 5’-0" X 5’-5" single face LED illuminated sign cabinet. COMMON ST GROUND LEVEL © Install (1) set of 3’-9" to 2’-3" (Sonesta) LED illuminated channel letters with (1) 4’-6" X 4’-10" single face LED illuminated sign cabinet.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 9, 2019 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:32 PM
-

1535 Canal Crane coming down:

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:54 PM

I don't think this had been brought up already, but I found this while digging through the minutes of last September's Southern Rail Commission meeting:

Quote:
Tommy Clark talked about the meeting with Governor Edwards and KCS railroad
management. KCS is protective of their petrochemical corridor between Baton
Rouge and New Orleans, and want separate freight and passenger rail. In discussing
the improvements that need to be made to the route, Tommy noted that there are
several timber trestles that need significant upgrade for passenger rail and handling
freight. The Governor’s office told KCS that they received an unsolicited P3 offer
from an international entity to install passenger rail service from the New Orleans
airport to the central business district, as well as from Baton Rouge to New Orleans,
and to buy the line between Baton Rouge and Shreveport. The governor will
introduce KCS and the entity. Tommy then read a statement from DOTD stating that
Louisiana will not apply for the 2018 CRISI funds because they were unable to
identify funds for the required local match.
1. John noted that the governor is very supportive, but we need to be creative
to identify money. He said he hoped the private investors will be able to
front load the money and could enter in to a MOU with SRC or the Super
Regional Rail Authority to apply for the funds as part of a private public
partnership.
5 | Page
2. Jerry asked if it would be a P3 partnership with the entity. Tommy
confirmed.
3. Roy noted that trains can currently only go 10 miles per hour across the
Bonnet Carre bridge between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. It would cost
$60M (2014) just to replace the trestle bridge.
Also mentioned in the December 2018 meeting:
Quote:
State Reports:
a. Louisiana – John Spain
i. Private investor who transports liquids pledged $8M for CRISI for the Baton
Rouge to New Orleans rail. They are helping to fund light rail from airport to
downtown New Orleans and potentially Baton Rouge-New Orleans.
This is the first I'd heard of a private entity being in discussions to fund or operate part or all of the proposed NO-BR rail service. I'm not sure if the two quotes are referring to the same entity. My first thought was someone like Virgin/Brightline who has had a lot of success so far in Florida. My understanding is that a big part of their business plan is developing the areas around the stations, so that would be a big deal for the region. But then there is the mention of an investor who transports liquids - maybe Air Liquide or one of the major refinery operators?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:08 PM

If this rail proposal come to fruition that would be great for the entire region. I'm sure there are several moving parts to this deal, and we'll have to wait and see if the outstanding issues with KCS and separating freight and passenger rail traffic can be worked out.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I don't think this had been brought up already, but I found this while digging through the minutes of last September's Southern Rail Commission meeting:

Also mentioned in the December 2018 meeting:

This is the first I'd heard of a private entity being in discussions to fund or operate part or all of the proposed NO-BR rail service. I'm not sure if the two quotes are referring to the same entity. My first thought was someone like Virgin/Brightline who has had a lot of success so far in Florida. My understanding is that a big part of their business plan is developing the areas around the stations, so that would be a big deal for the region. But then there is the mention of an investor who transports liquids - maybe Air Liquide or one of the major refinery operators?
Very interesting. Good find! If a private company is involved they will hopefully make sure it is done right and not half assed. To connect the airport with downtown (and to a certain extent BR) I think they have to figure out a way to put the station within walking distance of the North Terminal. If people have to shuttle to the south side of the airport to catch the train, most people won't bother and will just drive/uber.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:51 PM

Everything I've seen indicated that an MSY stop would be just south of airline where the tracks already run and probably using the same shuttles that would serve the south garages. Maybe they could find a way to build a bridge over 61 and run the tracks near where the current terminal is. Maybe even part of the south terminal could be adapted into a train station? I certainly don't see how they could get tracks all the way to the north terminal short of a tunnel, which isn't happening. Still would be very useful from people coming in from BR or visitors who don't want to rent a car. Another plus is that excess parking on the south side could be used as a park and ride for commuters.

What intrigues me is that someone offered to buy the KCS segment from BR to Shreveport. As far as I can tell, it hasn't been mentioned as a possibility for passenger corridor service in recent memory, but if they can figure out the NO-BR segment, the route north should be pretty easy to upgrade to high speed service with stops in Alexandria, Natchitoches, and Shreveport. Equally intriguing is that a private entity was willing to put up $8 million for commuter rail service, which suggest a major expansion of business in the region.

Also from the SRC minutes, someone mentioned that service from Shreveport to Meridian on the Meridian Speedway would "pay for itself." Guessing because it would allow connections between the Texas Eagle, City of New Orleans and Crescent routes, where Amtrak currently operates bus services. We might be on the verge of a major breakthrough if the railroads cooperate.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:37 PM
-

I know passenger train can only go 10 mph over the bonnet carre right now but they are definitely doing work out there upgrading the whole length over the lake to concerete rail bridge.. you can see the work driving out to laplace

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:46 PM
-

MSy latest Aerial

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 11, 2019 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
I know passenger train can only go 10 mph over the bonnet carre right now but they are definitely doing work out there upgrading the whole length over the lake to concerete rail bridge.. you can see the work driving out to laplace
Are you referencing the line that runs along I-10? That line along I-10 curves north to Hammond. The line that runs along Airline Highway is the one that will connect to Baton Rouge. The rail trestle that crosses over the Bonnet Carre Spillway along Airline is the one that will need to be replaced.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:44 PM

Photos: The Sazerac House in downtown New Orleans is a sensory tour into cocktail cul

Photos: The Sazerac House in downtown New Orleans is a sensory tour into cocktail culture

The Sazerac House at the corner of Magazine and Canal streets in downtown New Orleans uses high-tech interactive displays to explain the spirited culture of distilling, drinking, and celebrating just about everything that goes with them in this multi-floor museum.

https://www.nola.com/multimedia/phot...6ed183.html#22

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations