HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 8:38 PM

Hell YEAH! So pumped about this.

Kev, I agree..... I greedily want them both...NOW.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 8:26 PM

Things are happening pretty fast now. A permit to retire gas service to the site for excavation was filed today.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=2018643

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 10:29 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

BUILD IT...BUILD IT...BUILD IT. And...The Republic too!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 10:30 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

This one, The Republic and Block 185 are game-changers in terms of height and architecture for Austin. Plus, you'll finally have a tower surpass the Tower of the Americas as the tallest structure in Texas outside of Houston & Dallas.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 10:50 PM
Meh

Technically, we've already done that twice. They bill the Tower of the Americas as being 750 feet and that the observation deck is at 75-stories. But the roof of the tower is at 622 feet, and the observation deck is at 560 feet. Only the antenna goes up to 750 feet. The main roof of the Austonian, which includes a non-public outdoor observation deck, is 75 feet higher than the observation deck of the Tower of the Americas at 635 feet, a full 13 feet higher than the roof of the tower.

And actually, the FCC registration for the antenna atop the Tower of the Americas listed it as 729 feet the last time I checked. I don't know if they've added to it since then. And I don't know why they've billed it as 750 feet all along. Maybe they dismantled part of it or were rounding up or measuring from some low point in the plaza around the tower.

Still, I love the Tower of the Americas, and I consider it to be one of the things San Antonio has that I wish Austin did also. I still try to visit it every time I'm in San Antonio. I don't even care if Austin has taller buildings than the tower. I still view the Tower of the Americas in a special way.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:39 PM

This will have two cranes. One will reach 492' and one will max out at 925'.

FAA - 925' crane:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0642180&row=54

FAA - 492' crane:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0644001&row=39

Last edited by The ATX; Aug 2, 2019 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:04 PM

It would be nice if Lincoln/Kairoi would announce a groundbreaking date. But to sum up what we know so far:

08/28 - Extended Stay Hotel closes

09/03 - 10/15 - Hotel demo

10/21 - 12/31 - Excavation and construction starts

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 12:31 AM

This totally pleases me. I may still be alive to see it. What really caught my eyes was the 925' crane height. Holy shit chubby balls, that's going to get lost in the clouds. Nothing downtown has ever been that tall, not even close.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:29 AM

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:32 AM

[

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Do you think the two will be Luffing cranes like Block 185?
I don't believe so for two reasons.

1. Permits usually identify whether the crane will be a Luffing crane or a standard tower crane.

2. In Austin, Luffing cranes seem to be used most often on projects in close proximity to tall buildings.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:09 AM
クラブトクヨ

I am so excited about this. Who would have thought baby boy Austin, when compared to Dallas, and Houston would be getting a tower this tall.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:51 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

This is getting exciting. It is almost a reality. Just curious, how often does it happen that a project gets this far in the planning/permit stages and then falls through?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
This is getting exciting. It is almost a reality. Just curious, how often does it happen that a project gets this far in the planning/permit stages and then falls through?
I don't recall any big projects getting this far and not being built in Austin.

Considering the last three major economic downturns in Austin:

Mid-80s S&L/oil price crash - This ended Austin's first skyscraper boom. The condo tower proposed to be partially built on a Town Lake island failed, as did a 50-story tower proposed for the NW area of the US 183 & Mopac interchange. But I don't think they were very far along in the process. Maybe Kevin can recollect the details, but the 50-story tower may have had a connection to the One American Center tower that got built. Can anyone else grasp the significance of a 50-story tower (near the Domain!) in the 80s? Also, the round Lamar S&L HQ tower failed and that one was proposed for the 6 x Guadalupe site. It should be noted that that project got as far as the demo of the hotel on site. Sound familiar?

Dot Com crash - Vignette planned 3 ~30-story towers on what is now the WeWork/Waller Park Place site IIRC. But I don't think that project was this far along.

Great Recession - Most projects restarted during the recovery. But two significant failures were the Ovation (Novare 360 twinish condo tower) on the post office block and the awesome 21c hotel and residential project last proposed for the WeWork/WPP site.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I don't recall any big projects getting this far and not being built in Austin.

Considering the last three major economic downturns in Austin:

Mid-80s S&L/oil price crash - This ended Austin's first skyscraper boom. The condo tower proposed to be partially built on a Town Lake island failed, as did a 50-story tower proposed for the NW area of the US 183 & Mopac interchange. But I don't think they were very far along in the process. Maybe Kevin can recollect the details, but the 50-story tower may have had a connection to the One American Center tower that got built. Can anyone else grasp the significance of a 50-story tower (near the Domain!) in the 80s? Also, the round Lamar S&L HQ tower failed and that one was proposed for the 6 x Guadalupe site. It should be noted that that project got as far as the demo of the hotel on site. Sound familiar?

Dot Com crash - Vignette planned 3 ~30-story towers on what is now the WeWork/Waller Park Place site IIRC. But I don't think that project was this far along.

Great Recession - Most projects restarted during the recovery. But two significant failures were the Ovation (Novare 360 twinish condo tower) on the post office block and the awesome 21c hotel and residential project last proposed for the WeWork/WPP site.
Don't forget the Intel Campus - the first 'tower' started before being abandoned and eventually demolished to build the Federal Courthouse - was a victim of Dot Com crash.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:17 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Technically, we've already done that twice. They bill the Tower of the Americas as being 750 feet and that the observation deck is at 75-stories. But the roof of the tower is at 622 feet, and the observation deck is at 560 feet. Only the antenna goes up to 750 feet. The main roof of the Austonian, which includes a non-public outdoor observation deck, is 75 feet higher than the observation deck of the Tower of the Americas at 635 feet, a full 13 feet higher than the roof of the tower.

And actually, the FCC registration for the antenna atop the Tower of the Americas listed it as 729 feet the last time I checked. I don't know if they've added to it since then. And I don't know why they've billed it as 750 feet all along. Maybe they dismantled part of it or were rounding up or measuring from some low point in the plaza around the tower.

Still, I love the Tower of the Americas, and I consider it to be one of the things San Antonio has that I wish Austin did also. I still try to visit it every time I'm in San Antonio. I don't even care if Austin has taller buildings than the tower. I still view the Tower of the Americas in a special way.

Funny. I've always known the ToA to be 735' tall (to the tip of the antenna), for some reason.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:31 PM
Love Austin

I was working on the Ovation and the TWELVE next door (Blocks 51 and 52--Post Office). They were going to be amazing! I remember the Austin Neighborhood Council saying they were going to oppose the rezoning but they were opposing pretty much everything that led to additional housing so we weren't concerned. City Council happily approved them both.

We mothballed all the developments during the downturn, including another TWELVE at the Domain, and stopped paying ourselves. What stung most are the folks who talked about how the downturn didn't even hit Austin. "Oh I beg to differ!" I would think to myself...

This boom is amazing but we're still not producing enough housing! This development is a game-changer for Austin. Can't help but to feel the top priority of our city at this point should be to go big on transit! Hopefully we're voting on a $5+ billion dollar package come Nov. 2020. With Trump on the ballot we should have 75%+ voter turnout which means no matter the anti-transit messaging that some tired old voices will put out there--we'll pass it! Of course what sinks this possibility is a weak package put on by people who primarily drive single-occupant vehicles but insist on leading the effort...

We'll see.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Don't forget the Intel Campus - the first 'tower' started before being abandoned and eventually demolished to build the Federal Courthouse - was a victim of Dot Com crash.
I didn't count that one since it was a small project. There were of course others during those down turns, but I listed only the largest projects that came to mind.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
I was working on the Ovation and the TWELVE next door (Blocks 51 and 52--Post Office). They were going to be amazing! I remember the Austin Neighborhood Council saying they were going to oppose the rezoning but they were opposing pretty much everything that led to additional housing so we weren't concerned. City Council happily approved them both.

We mothballed all the developments during the downturn, including another TWELVE at the Domain, and stopped paying ourselves. What stung most are the folks who talked about how the downturn didn't even hit Austin. "Oh I beg to differ!" I would think to myself...
I remember the Twelve at the Domain because at 28-stories it was looking like the first 300 footer that far outside of Central Austin. But I didn't realize there was also one planned along with the Ovation. That would have have been a nice project for that area.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I didn't count that one since it was a small project. There were of course others during those down turns, but I listed only the largest projects that came to mind.
Despite its lack of height, that was still a big project for its time, especially in that part of Downtown! The closest taller building would have been Hobby, which was already an anomaly in its location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin