HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 10:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanview View Post
I am looking foward to seeing a powerful monolith rise here. Hopefully the tower is jet black glass.
Don’t expect much more than a 1,350’ version of what’s coming down. It will be a very antediluvian tower.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:19 AM
New Yorker for life

^ You were promised a 1,400 ft tower. If in fact it ends up as a 1,350 ft, that's basically the same (the margin of "error" for height estimates can go either way).

And still taller than this 1,250 ft version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanview View Post
I am looking foward to seeing a powerful monolith rise here. Hopefully the tower is jet black glass.

I don't think it will be jet black, but it will be powerful for sure.

I think this picture best sums up the state of the rebirth of midtown east...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_uwFYhJSm/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

50 ft won't make one iota of a difference. Barely noticeable which will somewhat be aided by just the sheer bulk of this project. We won't be looking at the height, but gasping at the freight. This thing will be a giant block that will make 1 Vandy look like its on a diet.

Some set backs would be nice, like the mass model above. Assuming a decent facade, this could prove okay and adequate design wise. Either way, it'll alter the skyline that we know.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:39 PM
BANNED

I never expressed an issue with the height. 1,350’ is very tall. I expressed concern with the design, which I sadly expect to be underwhelming.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 11:48 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
50 ft won't make one iota of a difference. Barely noticeable which will somewhat be aided by just the sheer bulk of this project. We won't be looking at the height, but gasping at the freight. This thing will be a giant block that will make 1 Vandy look like its on a diet.

Some set backs would be nice, like the mass model above. Assuming a decent facade, this could prove okay and adequate design wise. Either way, it'll alter the skyline that we know.
Right, it'll be a refreshing change from all these skinny towers (minus a few).

I'm excited to see the design regardless

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 4:09 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I never expressed an issue with the height. 1,350’ is very tall. I expressed concern with the design, which I sadly expect to be underwhelming.
How do you even know?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
How do you even know?
From someone at JPMC who's seen it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 4:21 PM
DENNAB

It's not like the existing building is a work of art...

I'll take that twice as tall with a nice facade and public space any day.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 8:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Largest Demolition In NYC’s History Gaining Steam At JPMorgan Chase’s 270 Park Avenue, In Midtown East

Quote:
The demolition of 270 Park Avenue is progressing in Midtown East, as new scaffolding and netting have been installed on the exterior of the Modernist-style skyscraper. These join the construction elevator and sidewalk scaffolding that were assembled several months ago on the 1.5-million-square-foot, 52-story tower. JPMorgan Chase is the developer and Foster + Partners Architects is the design firm for the upcoming 57-story supertall that will rise in its place. Adamson Associates is listed as the architect of record.

New photos from above and at street level show the current state of what will be the tallest intentionally demolished structure in history.

The top floors of the southern elevation are beginning to be covered in scaffolding, though it is difficult to see it from street level.

Meanwhile a large diagonally cantilevering steel structure is positioned in the centerline of the lower floors of the southern elevation. This could possibly be used as the base for a crane, but the purpose is still unclear at the moment.

Most of 270 Park Avenue should be demolished in 2020 and construction on its replacement is expected to begin in early 2021. The future 1,322-foot-tall development will yield a total of 2,439,635 square feet, with 1,871,767 designated for office space. Foster’s design will feature a steel-based structure and will include two sub-cellar levels, a cellar, and seven enclosed parking spaces.

A final rendering and completion date has not been released yet.
=============
NYY

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 9:46 PM

Where did they get that lame 1322' number from? This going to be a repeat of 1 Vandy?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Where did they get that lame 1322' number from? This going to be a repeat of 1 Vandy?
I think that this is going to be a lame tower (i.e., a 1322' version of 50 HY).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 10:30 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Yea, I'm most upset about the height cut and not the potential boring design (which we haven't even seen). Anything over 1,300 feet is still really tall, although I thought they'd want to break barriers. We've seen a few height figures, and know we can't always trust articles as they could be wrong or refer to solid roofs vs parapets ect.

However, not too long ago we thought this would be "only" 1,200 feet.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 11:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Once we get the official stats it should sort all of this out. Pre-filings can change.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 9:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
How you can be concerned about a design you've never seen and therefore can't present properly is beyond me. Stop trying to convince everyone of something you haven't seen. Your record is broken, scratched, and thrown out with the trash already.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
In fact, however, I know someone at Chase who has seen the design, and he said that the shape is very simple. This will not be a dramatic tower like 30 HY or 1 Vanderbilt. I’ll leave it at that.
-
Is Chase moving their HQ here?

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 25, 2019 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
-
Is that true? It's like if Brookfield Properties' CEO sat in the middle of Zuccotti Park (they own it) and yelled at everyone who walked by for using the park.

-
Yes along with most of their staff in the city. From what I was told by a friend of mine who is very senior at the firm (ie. works for one of Jamie Dimons Direct reports) They were planning to build 1500+ ft tall but when some of the engineering came back, it would be exponentially more expensive to build taller. They are going to lean more heavily on location strategy, any function that doesn't need to sit next to its business is out of the New York area to places like Newark De, Columbus OH, and Plano TX. This building is pretty much going to be full of only traders, bankers and executives.

I haven't seen anything on the building, but I was told the current design looks good, not very bold or daring but it will make a statement.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
Yes along with most of their staff in the city. From what I was told by a friend of mine who is very senior at the firm (ie. works for one of Jamie Dimons Direct reports) They were planning to build 1500+ ft tall but when some of the engineering came back, it would be exponentially more expensive to build taller. They are going to lean more heavily on location strategy, any function that doesn't need to sit next to its business is out of the New York area to places like Newark De, Columbus OH, and Plano TX. This building is pretty much going to be full of only traders, bankers and executives.
None of this makes any sense. There is no difference in engineering a 1,400 vs. 1,500 ft. building, the size of the building hasn't changed (the shorter version was the same size as the taller one), Chase doesn't have non-core functions in Manhattan (and hasn't for decades), and it wouldn't make any sense to move core employees to, say, Plano, when they're already subleasing empty space locally.

And if costs were a primary consideration, they wouldn't have pursued the most expensive solution available. You would have a hard time imagining a less cost effective solution than the path Dimon has chosen.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
None of this makes any sense. There is no difference in engineering a 1,400 vs. 1,500 ft. building, the size of the building hasn't changed (the shorter version was the same size as the taller one), Chase doesn't have non-core functions in Manhattan (and hasn't for decades), and it wouldn't make any sense to move core employees to, say, Plano, when they're already subleasing empty space locally.

And if costs were a primary consideration, they wouldn't have pursued the most expensive solution available. You would have a hard time imagining a less cost effective solution than the path Dimon has chosen.
This is just what I was told over dinner a few weeks ago, they wanted to go bigger but it just wasn't going to be worth it. The costs to go from 1400 ish to 15-1600 was an order of magnitude more expensive once they went past the initial engineering. Cost isn't a primary factor, but it still a factor.

Also there are plenty of non core functions still in the city such as finance, risk, HR and some operations personnel, the number floated that would be leaving the city over the next 3 or so years was 4,000.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
This was the headquarters. Here's what it looked like back in the "old" days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival718 View Post
This is just what I was told over dinner a few weeks ago, they wanted to go bigger but it just wasn't going to be worth it. The costs to go from 1400 ish to 15-1600 was an order of magnitude more expensive once they went past the initial engineering. Cost isn't a primary factor, but it still a factor.

Also there are plenty of non core functions still in the city such as finance, risk, HR and some operations personnel, the number floated that would be leaving the city over the next 3 or so years was 4,000.
Still doesn't make sense that they would want to go bigger. The whole reasoning behind the approvals process was so they could build the shorter tower. It only makes sense that the size (in square ft) is what is behind the drive for the larger tower (as opposed to the original).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:33 AM
Crane Goddess

I can't wait for the official announcements. One dude on Twitter is sure to lose his mind. He was applauding the demo, banging on about "boldness". Well, looks like he's gonna be disappointed.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction