I'm actually very excited about the Brookfield tower, the first high rise designed by Marmol Radziner, one of LAs best architectural firms. I have a gut feeling this is going to be an architectural beauty.
^ Agreed. If this ends up like any of their single family homes, it's going to be better than any of the other residential towers we've seen in the last two cycles.
In other buildings with potential architectural merit news, The Lizard Hotel is now scheduled to break down next year. As with any breaking-ground news that far out, I'll believe it when I see it.
Looks like a place the Flintstones would stay in. The Bedrock Hotel? Different--I like it and hope it gets built. I love the way the base conforms to the old 150' limit & they stick something paleo-looking on top. "Frankentowers" are good....good. Me like. Also like that 700' condo tower rendering just north of Pershing Square with all the infinity pools sticking out of it like porcupine quills. I can just see all the tourists in 2028 taking photos of it. Instant L.A. icon. Hope it gets built. Enough boxes already. Great to see the Gehry Grand is going up. Should rise pretty quickly. Good riddance to the tinker toy parking structure. Also would love to see a few neo-gothic revivals & neo-decos downtown too & that 975 footer on South Fig. Waiting... Still life in the boom. May last until the Olympics. Maybe L.A. skyline will be almost as impressive as Toronto by then and the homeless will have a place to live besides the sidewalks. Maybe. Can't have DTLA looking Dickensian Oliver Twisty in 2028 as tourists and network cameras arrive. 2028 should look like the Jetsons future...not 1840 or even Bladerunner. More like the DTLA of "Her".
Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 16, 2019 at 9:10 AM.
^ An eyesore with an attitude. I say good riddance. Too bad the city doesn't have grander (e.g. taller) ambitions for its replacement so that we can finally tear down those monstrosities flanking Grand Park, save Neutra's Hall of Records.
^ Really like the new blade sign on The Proper. That corner is going to be great once it opens, along with The Hoxton, and the revitalized Herald Examiner.
It's refreshing seeing new pics on these projects! One question though: Is 820 Olive completed? I also feel like Metropolis should finish installing that one piece facade at the top on the west side of Tower IV.