HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Secteur residential lol...
C’est “résidentiel”...

So much for bilingualism...
I guess you didn't notice it also says"Sectuer"

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 7:30 PM
Mooderator

I drove by that site a couple days ago... it really looks like they are smoothing out the WB on-ramp from what is currently there. It doesn't look temporary at all, but I'm no engineer and I have been known to be wrong once or twice.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I drove by that site a couple days ago... it really looks like they are smoothing out the WB on-ramp from what is currently there. It doesn't look temporary at all, but I'm no engineer and I have been known to be wrong once or twice.
Yes, new onramp alignment westbound, and they will be replacing the overpass as well

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
The ramps to the north will change quite a bit. They're almost finished grading and you can see the new alignment. The ramps to the south just change slightly.

On another note, they're paving today at Merivale exit. The first phase of friggin bump-overs of all the lanes should occur soon, along with their associated traffic nightmares.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Repost (though not the most appropriate place to put it): http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...229872&page=58 #1154

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Repost (though not the most appropriate place to put it): http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...229872&page=58 #1154
Good Day.

It will do just fine..... thx for the info.

EDIT: CBC story link :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...frew-1.5208401

Last edited by PHrenetic; Jul 11, 2019 at 6:45 PM. Reason: Added link to CBC story.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day.

looks like construction would start after the next ontario election.
not quick enough imo, hopefully the contract is awarded earlier but i bet the pols will want to hold it for an election promise.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Did I dream or are they working on or planning to bypass the town of Cobden? That would be a great improvement as well - even if it's only two lanes.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Good Day.

Yabakuski picked the most fitting place to make the video.
Good day to you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
looks like construction would start after the next ontario election.
not quick enough imo, hopefully the contract is awarded earlier but i bet the pols will want to hold it for an election promise.
After the next election? Okay in that case I’m gonna pretend nothing happens. If the liberals come back, 417 isn’t gonna go past Scheel Drive, unless PC politics-proves this project.
Then again...
PC in power => 417 extended and/or 17 twinned west of Kenora and/or North Bypass upgraded;
Liberals in power => 11-17 twinned between T Bay and Nipigon;
NDP in power => 17 twinned between Espanola and Warren-Markstay.
I’m definitely dreaming, but it seems that TCH will be upgraded regardless of who’s in charge. It just depends on which stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Did I dream or are they working on or planning to bypass the town of Cobden? That would be a great improvement as well - even if it's only two lanes.
Planned? Yes. Shovel ready? I don’t think so.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Good Day.

Just what we need right now. MORE highways. Couldn't they at least put in bus/HOV lanes?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
Just what we need right now. MORE highways. Couldn't they at least put in bus/HOV lanes?
Bus lanes for the 2 buses a day each way? As for HOV lanes, I don't see the need for a 6 lane highway (2+1+1+2) west of Arnprior. Even between Hwy 7 and Arnprior would be a stretch. HOV lanes only help when the highway is congested.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat-Train View Post
As it is right now, past Arnprior, there are only 2 lanes on TCH. Going from 2 to 4 lanes is very different from expanding from 4 to 6+ lanes. The latter simply adds capacity, while the former also separates directions of traffic which eliminates the possibility of head-on collisions, which every so often triggers a complete closure of the highway.

Obviously, there’s also the money issue.

Lastly, if we need HOV lanes all the way to Renfrew (after extending 417 there), I think we have bigger concerns because that’s some serious sprawl.

PS: AADT on TCH between Renfrew and the west end of 417 is near 17K, the threshold for twinning, so it’s a legitimate project anyway.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:22 PM

This is desperately needed. The sooner we can get the 417 to Pet. The better it is for the province. Traffic volumes a very high between Pet and Ottawa and the Cobden bypass is really needed.

Winter driving is not fun on this strech and my time in ottawa I know a lot of people who take the THC ether to pet/pembroke or on to N.Bay, Sudbury and Timmins.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
This is desperately needed. The sooner we can get the 417 to Pet. The better it is for the province. Traffic volumes a very high between Pet and Ottawa and the Cobden bypass is really needed.
I'm gonna digress here, but it seems that Pembroke - Petawawa could/would have been a big hub for Upper Ottawa Valley.

After all, let us not forget that 417 doesn't just serve Ottawa - Gatineau and Montreal. This is the Trans-Canada Highway. It goes way beyond just the national capital. I mean, do whatever you want with The Queensway after we build the Ottawa Bypass (if ever). Until then, The Queensway should be kept as a freeway. (I'm speaking to those that want 417 demolished.)

As for congestion through Downtown, I hope that the opening of Moodie Station in the not-so-far future can redirect all the Kanata traffic there.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:00 AM

As someone who grew up in Renfrew, this is very good news. But my dad was looking forward to this when he was in high school, so I'm not holding my breath just yet.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:21 PM

They have all the route work planned between Renfrew and Pembroke, IIRC they've even secured ownership of the route for the Cobden bypass. I think the furthest it could realistically go is Chalk River... past Chalk River there's lots of houses on the highway and I doubt traffic volumes are high enough to justify the large expense of either expropriating them all or building a whole new route.

If the last exit was Chalk River, it's exit number would be around 300.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
They have all the route work planned between Renfrew and Pembroke, IIRC they've even secured ownership of the route for the Cobden bypass. I think the furthest it could realistically go is Chalk River... past Chalk River there's lots of houses on the highway and I doubt traffic volumes are high enough to justify the large expense of either expropriating them all or building a whole new route.

If the last exit was Chalk River, it's exit number would be around 300.
Sometimes I wonder: On the other end of Upper Ottawa Valley, MTO has also mapped out the route of “417” from North Bay to Nipissing/Renfrew boundary. Is there any merit in closing the ~80-km gap from there to Rolphton (turn off to the hunting zone in Quebec)?

True, AADT’s 2900, but could “special consideration” be given on the ground that (1) it’s mostly a truck route and that (2) there are no EDR in the area? Last time, there was an accident near Bissett Creek and traffic in both directions had to spend a night on the road.

Now the “last exit” on the 417 would be in the high 400’s. If there’s any political will to bridge the gap between North Bay and Sudbury, that puts it at the low 600’s.

Anyway I digress. I try to keep the general talk about TCH in my own thread, and only use this one to talk about TCH through Ottawa Valley.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 11:09 AM
Living With My Mother

I’ve been studying the plans for the Queensway widening that are scheduled for completion next year in 2020. But I’ve come across a curiosity.

If I understand correctly the Queensway will be four lanes from 174 to Paladium Drive. Except for westbound at Maitland where it briefly pinches down to three lanes.

Does anyone know why that little westbound piece of a few hundred metres between the Maitland off and on ramps wasn’t widened to four lanes?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:21 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just took a look at the map. West of the interchange, some properties effectively abut the freeway. Maybe MTO’s still negotiating with their owners?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I’ve been studying the plans for the Queensway widening that are scheduled for completion next year in 2020. But I’ve come across a curiosity.

If I understand correctly the Queensway will be four lanes from 174 to Paladium Drive. Except for westbound at Maitland where it briefly pinches down to three lanes.

Does anyone know why that little westbound piece of a few hundred metres between the Maitland off and on ramps wasn’t widened to four lanes?
4 lanes? That stretch of the 417 is already 6 or 8 lanes and sometimes even more. Maitland is already 6 lanes (plus on and off ramps). Do you mean 4 lanes in each direction (ie. 8 lanes)?

AFAIK, for the foreseeable future, the 417 will continue to be 6 lanes between O'Conner and Metcalfe. It will also only be 6 lanes between Holly Acres and Richmond Rds. West of Moodie Drive, it will only be 6 regular lanes (plus 2 HOV/Green lanes and 2 bus lanes).

Also, in 2020, the Pinecrest and Woodroffe overpasses will only have 6 lanes (plus possible on ramps). I also don't think they will have continuous 8 lanes east of Nicholas by 2020. I believe there are plans to change all of these within the next decade though (along with the Maitland overpass).

Personally, I would like to see 2 of the 8 lanes converted to HOV/Green lanes for the entire stretch between the 416 and 174 splits.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation