HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Re:Hahnemann

This isn't really that big of a deal. First, Drexel is building a med school campus in Reading, PA attached to Reading Hospital, which is a huge institution. In the meantime I don't think there will be much trouble shuttling out their students for residency.

Also, I don't actually think Hahnemann will close for long, and I think any rumors of a demo are complete fantasy. I believe the state will rescue it and provide funding (much like they do for Temple) and have it operate under a different entity. Its possible another academic institution could absorb it, or Drexel could run it with state aid.
I have no idea how med school works but if someone just started med school at drexel and was planning on a quick subway commute to hahnemann, in what world would they be ok with being bused all the way the fuck out to Reading instead?

When I was in grad school I didn't have a spare second in my day, if suddenly my classes were a 3 hr round trip away from me out in the middle of nowhere I'd have to transfer to a different school that was actually nearby.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I have no idea how med school works but if someone just started med school at drexel and was planning on a quick subway commute to hahnemann, in what world would they be ok with being bused all the way the fuck out to Reading instead?

When I was in grad school I didn't have a spare second in my day, if suddenly my classes were a 3 hr round trip away from me out in the middle of nowhere I'd have to transfer to a different school that was actually nearby.
More likely move to where the school is...but I think he is saying that current residents will be adopted/absorbed by local hospitals other than Hahnemann (and some in Drexel's residency program are not involved with Hahnemann now). And some students will shift to Reading when that is built. A residency is practical training after graduating from medical school. Residents in Drexel's residency program are not taking traditional classes anymore. Third- and fourth-year medical students from Drexel University College of Medicine do still take traditional classes at the Philly campus and rotate at both Hahnemann and Abington for their medicine clerkships and subinternships, and on critical care and subspecialty services. They are supervised by Drexel residents who function as mentors and educators.

So, while Hahnemann closing will impact both students and residents currently in these programs, probably none are only doing work at Hahnemann or solely dependent on it. And once Drexel's med school campus is built in reading, students can just work with hospitals in closer proximity. Hahnemann will have already closed.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
More likely move to where the school is...but I think he is saying that current residents will be adopted/absorbed by local hospitals other than Hahnemann (and some in Drexel's residency program are not involved with Hahnemann now). And some students will shift to Reading when that is built. A residency is practical training after graduating from medical school. Residents in Drexel's residency program are not taking traditional classes anymore. Third- and fourth-year medical students from Drexel University College of Medicine do still take traditional classes at the Philly campus and rotate at both Hahnemann and Abington for their medicine clerkships and subinternships, and on critical care and subspecialty services. They are supervised by Drexel residents who function as mentors and educators.

So, while Hahnemann closing will impact both students and residents currently in these programs, probably none are only doing work at Hahnemann or solely dependent on it. And once Drexel's med school campus is built in reading, students can just work with hospitals in closer proximity. Hahnemann will have already closed.
Yes, I couldn't have said it better really. For rotations (3rd and 4th year) they probably will go to an affiliate hospital. For residency there is a matching system, so that should be affected much at all. They can almost go anywhere in the country for that.

Once it is developed, med students at the Reading campus will just do rotations at Reading Hospital or St. Joes. There will be no lack.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:37 PM
Midrise

Hahnemann University Hospital owners file for bankruptcy protection | Inquirer.com
An attempt to sell St. Christopher’s and Hahnemann to Drexel University, which uses Hahnemann as the primary teach hospital for its medical school, went nowhere. In late May, Drexel informed Hahnemann officials that it was not interested in acquiring the facility, stating “we do not believe that HUH has any financial value,” according to Wilen.

Drexel to not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The real estate used the by the two hospitals and affiliated companies was not included in the bankruptcy. It is owned by separate entities.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Hahnemann University Hospital owners file for bankruptcy protection | Inquirer.com
An attempt to sell St. Christopher’s and Hahnemann to Drexel University, which uses Hahnemann as the primary teach hospital for its medical school, went nowhere. In late May, Drexel informed Hahnemann officials that it was not interested in acquiring the facility, stating “we do not believe that HUH has any financial value,” according to Wilen.

Drexel to not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The real estate used the by the two hospitals and affiliated companies was not included in the bankruptcy. It is owned by separate entities.
Ha! You know that quote is going to be front center in Hahnemann’s brief in opposition to Drexel’s preliminary injunction or whatever they filed. I’d use it as the first line, without (or before) even an introduction header if I was writing it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, I couldn't have said it better really. For rotations (3rd and 4th year) they probably will go to an affiliate hospital. For residency there is a matching system, so that should be affected much at all. They can almost go anywhere in the country for that.

Once it is developed, med students at the Reading campus will just do rotations at Reading Hospital or St. Joes. There will be no lack.
That is good. The closure remains a shame. I do wonder what this real estate will end up being used for.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
I agree it is confusing, because its technically a good location. However, I believe because of its extremely accessible location right on Broad and 676. People know you can literally just drive up and dump people at the curb.

It almost "suffers" from too accessible of a location.
I'm still confused about this....Literally every gunshot wound ends up @ Temple. I can't imagine that there is a more "underserved" stat than that.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:12 PM

Is this some sort of core sampling?

https://imgur.com/9G8pS47

Sorry for the poor quality photo. It looks like a pile driver or some sort of big drill in the parking lot of the Trader Joes at 22nd and Market.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:18 PM

They receive a big proportion of overdose victims

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Is this some sort of core sampling?

https://imgur.com/9G8pS47

Sorry for the poor quality photo. It looks like a pile driver or some sort of big drill in the parking lot of the Trader Joes at 22nd and Market.
EDIT: looked at the imgur. Thought it might be before checking the imgur photo out, but this is not the MLB lot. This lot doesn't front Market. There is another tower that was rumored for this lot awhile ago. I believe Summers has talked about it. I don't have the details.

Last edited by jsbrook; Jul 1, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
EDIT: looked at the imgur. Thought it might be before checking the imgur photo out, but this is not the MLB lot. This lot doesn't front Market. There is another tower that was rumored for this lot awhile ago. I believe Summers has talked about it. I don't have the details.
32-story tower by PMC

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
32-story tower by PMC
In other news, Cecil's North Broad tower is going in front of/went in front of CDR today: https://philly.curbed.com/2019/7/2/2...es-forward-cdr

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:15 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:14 PM

A soaring 24-story tower designed for seniors to rise in Center City

Quote:
A soaring tower designed with aging baby boomers in mind is coming to a prime Center City intersection.

A building permit filed by developer Brickstone Realty last week detailed a 300-unit residential structure, including 60 assisted-living beds, and an 84-car underground garage. The 24-story project will rise on S. 12th Street at Sansom, replacing a two-story Park America garage that will be demolished.

The building, to be ultimately owned and operated by Benchmark Senior Living, will also include 80 bike parking spots and retail space on the ground floor.

John Connor, a principal at Brickstone, said the luxury complex would be age-restricted to residents 62 years or older, tapping a growing demographic of deep-pocketed retirees.

“The Baby Boomer cycle is aging out. There's an unbelievable demand for these kinds of units,” Connor said. “It’s been successful in other formats, suburban formats...But it’s time for that industry to move into the urban experience.”

He described the project as a “highly-amenitized building” and said that Brickstone is betting big on explosive demand for luxury senior housing, including assisted living and “memory care” for more infirm residents.

The development would not be the first private age-restricted building downtown Philly, but it would be one of the larger such projects.

Connor said he sold his own suburban home after 30 years on the Main Line in favor of smaller home in downtown Philadelphia where shops and restaurants are in walking distance.

“My children were long gone,” he said. “And it’s just a completely different lifestyle.”
http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...in-center-city

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:14 AM

Remember how scary the gayborhood used to be like 15 years back? It's going boom boom boom right now!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:20 AM

Quote:
32-story tower by PMC
God, between this, the Parkway office midrise to go up at 21st and Market, 20th + Arch, and the (hopefully happening) Brandywine tower going up at 21st and Market, this area is booming on an unprecedented scale.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:27 PM

Quote:
A soaring 24-story tower designed for seniors to rise in Center City

http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...in-center-city
Wouldn't a project this big have to go in front of CDR before getting a building permit? Are there situations in which that isn't the case?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Remember how scary the gayborhood used to be like 15 years back? It's going boom boom boom right now!
Had already cleaned up by the time I came back to the city in 2012 (everywhere except the 1300 block of Walnut, which has actually regressed since Wawa came). But someone posted this in response to this project in a facebook group I'm in: "This location went from Trannie hookers to Senior Living in just over a decade. Open Mic Night at Fergie’s will now have more banjo and accordian." I thought it was pretty funny.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Wouldn't a project this big have to go in front of CDR before getting a building permit? Are there situations in which that isn't the case?
I suppose if it’s reaaaaaaaaally skinny, it could be under the minimum square footage.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
But someone posted this in response to this project in a facebook group I'm in: "This location went from Trannie hookers to Senior Living in just over a decade. Open Mic Night at Fergie’s will now have more banjo and accordian." I thought it was pretty funny.
Except that they're actually building this for the aging Baby Boomers/Woodstock generation, so it's more likely more Stratocasters and Telecasters.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations