HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6461  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:31 PM
austlar1 austlar1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,510
Wonder how they handled the four or five unexpected international heavies (including a 388) yesterday. Did they just sit on tarmac or disembark passengers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6462  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:30 PM
aschwab aschwab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Wonder how they handled the four or five unexpected international heavies (including a 388) yesterday. Did they just sit on tarmac or disembark passengers?
Highly doubt they unloaded and processed them. That would require them to all go through immigration, grab bags/customs, and then reload them back onto the plane. All of it. All while people won't have their boarding passes or the airline would have to reprint them. Especially for an airline like Qatar who has no ground staff.

So, no, I highly doubt they unloaded them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6463  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:43 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Wonder how they handled the four or five unexpected international heavies (including a 388) yesterday. Did they just sit on tarmac or disembark passengers?
I can say, for sure, the Lufthansa A388 and Qatar B773 were not offloaded. They took off to IAH and DFW, respectively, after a few hours on the ground at ABIA.

I would expect the two AA flights did the same.

ON a side note: I have personally witnessed a AA B773 being boarded after offloading passengers the night before on a diversion of a flight from LHR to DFW. So it does happen - in rare occurrences.

It's not that AUS cannot handle it. It's more about the specific airline trying everything that can do to get their passengers to their destination as safely and quickly as possible. Furthermore, they also have to adhere to pilot and crew hour rules. That is, they cannot surpass a certain number of hours "on the job" before they are required to "rest" for another set number of hours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6464  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:48 AM
ATCZERO ATCZERO is offline
Air Traffic Controller
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
How are the rest of the new gates coming along? Are they still on track to open in the next few weeks?
I'll probably be able to take a look (with binoculars) sometime in the next 4 days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6465  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:53 AM
freerover freerover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
How are the rest of the new gates coming along? Are they still on track to open in the next few weeks?
Last estimate was opening in July so they still have 5 weeks to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6466  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 9:02 PM
ATCZERO ATCZERO is offline
Air Traffic Controller
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
How are the rest of the new gates coming along? Are they still on track to open in the next few weeks?
I got a decent look at the ramp. It looks as though the site has been almost fully prepped, but no concrete has been poured yet. I didn't see any rebar in their either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6467  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 10:35 PM
mumu mumu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 149
A post about Delta / Korean Air possible service from SLC to Seoul, given Delta's purchase of a 4.3% ownership share in KA.
This indicates at least a bit how Delta is thinking about trans-pacific these days. Seoul is thus a bit more more likely to be our first route that way than before this partnership development, once the focus city expansion gets going for real.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/06/22/delta-salt-lake-city-seoul/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6468  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 3:18 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
A post about Delta / Korean Air possible service from SLC to Seoul, given Delta's purchase of a 4.3% ownership share in KA.
This indicates at least a bit how Delta is thinking about trans-pacific these days. Seoul is thus a bit more more likely to be our first route that way than before this partnership development, once the focus city expansion gets going for real.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2019/06/22/delta-salt-lake-city-seoul/
Seoul is personally not my preference, but ICN has *amazing* connectivity and is a super nice website.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6469  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 8:45 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Seoul is personally not my preference, but ICN has *amazing* connectivity and is a super nice website.
It's all about connections. That's why DL's SLC-NRT flight failed - NRT is not a good connector to the rest of Asia.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6470  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 12:19 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
Agreed on ICN. I fly through ICN all the time. NRT is a pain even if it has good connectivity to the US. I have a difficult time getting there from other Asian locations. HKG and ICN are the best, in my opinion. Other good connections are PKG and PVG, but I'm not a fan of flying through China due to their inconsistency with timeliness, pains with customs, etc. Their airports are generally boring also whereas HKG and ICN are beautiful and good for business travelers and families alike. If ICN happens, that'd be a huge win for AUS.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6471  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:40 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
It's all about connections. That's why DL's SLC-NRT flight failed - NRT is not a good connector to the rest of Asia.

NRT is also criminally outside of town. It's hard to get to for an early flight. We had a 7 AM last month and the train (not NEX) was the only option other than a 200 dollar taxi.

I would rather go AUS - ICN and wind up and HND than direct to Narita.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6472  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 3:02 PM
chinchaaa chinchaaa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
NRT is also criminally outside of town. It's hard to get to for an early flight. We had a 7 AM last month and the train (not NEX) was the only option other than a 200 dollar taxi.

I would rather go AUS - ICN and wind up and HND than direct to Narita.
Incheon is also pretty far outside of Seoul.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6473  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:19 PM
jbssfelix's Avatar
jbssfelix jbssfelix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Central Park
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Incheon is also pretty far outside of Seoul.
Yes, about an hour via train.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6474  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:01 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Incheon is also pretty far outside of Seoul.
I've never actually been to South Korea. I've flown through Incheon a few times so never knew.

That said, NRT is awful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6475  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 6:33 AM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,860
Would be most ideal if it was direct to Tokyo regardless of which airport, but I guess I can tolerate a one stop connection when I travel to Japan. I just hate having to make any sort of connections when I fly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6476  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:00 PM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Would be most ideal if it was direct to Tokyo regardless of which airport, but I guess I can tolerate a one stop connection when I travel to Japan. I just hate having to make any sort of connections when I fly.
Problem is, Tokyo doesn't connect all that well to the rest of Asia except for a handful of places. I'm sure in Japan would be fine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6477  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:46 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Would be most ideal if it was direct to Tokyo regardless of which airport, but I guess I can tolerate a one stop connection when I travel to Japan. I just hate having to make any sort of connections when I fly.
I'm with you and would love an HND connection for pure lazyiness reasons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6478  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:12 PM
enragedcamel enragedcamel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 520
I haven't followed ABIA updates at all.

Is there a "master plan" of some sort, or otherwise an article, that describes the proposed and in-progress changes?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6479  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:47 PM
sammyk sammyk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I haven't followed ABIA updates at all.

Is there a "master plan" of some sort, or otherwise an article, that describes the proposed and in-progress changes?
This may help: http://www.austintexas.gov/department/improvements-are-underway
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6480  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:50 PM
enragedcamel enragedcamel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Thanks!

Are there any plans to renovate the passenger areas?

One of my major peeves whenever I travel through ABIA is the lack of power outlets. Would be nice to strip out the existing awful seats and replace them with modern seats that are comfortable and have charging ports for devices.

Also, I'm hoping it will become a real, 24-hour airport soon. I have arrived early a few times, and was really bummed that all the coffee shops and restaurants were closed!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.