HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1281  
Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 9:54 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
The above photos do not to the design justice. It's a neat and new design that is neither a box nor a traditional design.
I completely agree.

It was a tough decision on whether to use the photos from the open house or of the new model from the UDP meeting. However, we thought it would be unfair to those who attended the former to post pictures of something they didn't have the opportunity to see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1282  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 12:14 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,751
I mean, the design is awful, but I just can't understand the amount of anger that boils over at these events. It seems like these people are voiceless in their normal lives, and use these public consultations to release their negativity on to the world.

There are other ways to show your displeasure than cursing at people. These "adults" need to grow up, and fast.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1283  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 4:02 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
I'd trust Human Studio to pull this off, design-wise, and for some other renderings that are "out there".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1284  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 9:25 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
1956-1990 Stainsbury Avenue - Open House















Quote:
Chromophobic Landlords Fearful of What Moderate Income Rental Homes May Bring to Cedar Cottage

1956-1990 Stainsbury Avenue
For the second time in a month, Darren and I were forced to split up in order to cover multiple events. While he was at City Hall for an Urban Design Panel meeting, I went to the Croatian Cultural Centre to learn about this colourful proposal. Despite the city’s strict design regulations effectively turning these mid-rise buildings into a modern version of the Vancouver Special, this one manages to do something different.

While it is not much, I really appreciate how the design team has splashed some vibrant colours onto what would typically be a bland black and white building. Unfortunately that does not continue to the top floors, as city policy requires them to be set back and incorporate white materials in order to blend in with the sky. Unsurprisingly, no one at the open house appreciated this gesture.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/06/05...rental-homes-may-bring-to-cedar-cottage/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1285  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 9:23 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
2406 – 2488 Garden Drive - Pre-application Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
This notice came in the mail because I live within 1 km radius, I guess.

Rezoning pre-application open house, so this is super-preliminary.





https://imgur.com/gallery/3VC6uwi

Proposed to go in the block of eight existing single family homes behind Bon's Off Broadway at Broadway and Nanaimo.


-Google Earth

Quote:
Long Awaited Changes come to Grandview-Woodland with a Marpole Flair

2406 – 2488 Garden Drive
One of the questions Darren and I frequently get is how did we become interested in the urban growth of our city? Naturally, the articles from the Daily Hive, Urban YVR, and Changing City played a large role in feeding our curiosity and desire to get involved. However, if not for the knowledge and wonderful community that exists in the Vancouver section of the SkyscraperPage, City Duo would have never come to be.

Even now, despite our far more limited free time, we still make time to drop by the site. Which is how we were able to learn about this upcoming pre-application open house. At first glance, one might think these two 6 storey buildings are proposed under the Marpole Community Plan (pg 54), but they are actually located in the Grandview Woodland.
A bit more background information at:
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/06/07...grandview-woodland-with-a-marpole-flair/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1286  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 9:53 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,729
Thanks for the kind shout-out to the forum in your most recent post, Feathered Friend. You do great work on CityDuo and it's essential reading for this displaced Vancouverite.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1287  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 9:24 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
I completely agree.

It was a tough decision on whether to use the photos from the open house or of the new model from the UDP meeting. However, we thought it would be unfair to those who attended the former to post pictures of something they didn't have the opportunity to see.
Understandable, and I'd say you made the right choice, but now with the context properly explained I think it's fair game to post the pics here. I for one would like to see them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1288  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 12:31 AM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
2406 – 2488 Garden Drive - Pre-application Open House

























Quote:
Mid-rise Proposal Leaves Grandview Woodland With A Tough Choice – Division or Unity

2406 – 2488 Garden Drive
Normally when Darren and I learn of a pre-application event, we are both really excited to be among the first to see a new addition to our city. However, this time was a little different, as our day was already booked solid. Originally our plan was I would attend the bi-weekly meeting of the Urban Design Panel, as Darren had a prior commitment. In the end, I was only able to capture one item before I left for this event.

The opposition to a similar proposal one block south of this one may have prepared me for a large crowd, but I was not expecting the number that greeted me outside the open house. Thanks to the thick smell of cigarette smoke in the air, I quickly realized it was also Bingo Night at the Croatian Cultural Centre. That said, I did have one surprise waiting for me when I entered the room of the event.

Standing in the back munching on one of the many sandwiches provided was my partner; apparently he was able to get out early, and wanted to surprise me.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/06/14...d-with-a-tough-choice-division-or-unity/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1289  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 4:22 AM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Understandable, and I'd say you made the right choice, but now with the context properly explained I think it's fair game to post the pics here. I for one would like to see them.
That is one of several things I would have hoped to get out sooner, especially as it looks like the admin staff at the UDP are regularly publishing minutes again. That said, I'm hoping to have them up early this week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1290  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 9:42 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
8428 – 8438 Elliott Street and 2408 – 2528 SE Marine Drive


Previous Concept -Source https://leckiestudio.com/portfolio/wvp/


Previous Concept -Source https://leckiestudio.com/portfolio/wvp/



Link to Opposition Group Council Briefing File (4.4 Mb)
https://cityduo.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/redacted-council-briefing.pdf

Quote:
Development Industry Insiders, Restrictive Policies, and Misinformation Kills 240 Rental Homes – Who on City Council had a Front Row Ticket?

8428 – 8438 Elliott Street and 2408 – 2528 SE Marine Drive
Since Hannah and I started City Duo, we’ve had many unique experiences, yet we’ve never dealt with something like this before. Shortly after we published our MIRHPP guide, one of our fellow Vancouverites emailed us a 37 page document that provides details about a proposal under the Moderate Income Rental Housing Pilot Program in the West Fraser Lands, and the inner workings of an association, led by three architects, who are opposed to it.

Since then, a member of that group offered to provide us with a 39 page document on the condition we agree to publish it without having an opportunity to read it first, something we couldn’t agree to. Despite our counteroffer to publish the document only if we used the information within, we have not heard anything back.

The document and context we do have paints an interesting tale. Back in early 2018, an enquiry was put forward to the City of Vancouver to allow for a new rental building on an assembly of 8 lots at the southeast corner of SE Marine Drive and Elliot. Immediately, it generated opposition from those who felt it conflicted with the vision of their master planned community.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/06/17...-on-city-council-had-a-front-row-ticket/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1291  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:12 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
I would admit it's a poor place to put a development of that kind, however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1292  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:41 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
I would admit it's a poor place to put a development of that kind, however.
Oh true because it's on marine you think it should be larger
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1293  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:06 PM
GenWhy? GenWhy? is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Oh true because it's on marine you think it should be larger
Not at all. Without sufficient options by Translink, currently, and not a clear plan for the future on that stretch or portion of Southeast Vancouver, in addition to the walkability of the area with a lack of local retail and grocers... the practically dead-end street.

I'm a fan of the form, density, height, unit and income mix, but this area of town needs a total revamp from being it's 70's 80's planned brownfield suburbia to something more akin to its streetcar suburb neighbours. I'm as much opposed to this as I am the Fraser District. It's density without old urban bones or a plan.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1294  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:09 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
2336-2366 Charles Street - UDP













Quote:
UDP Recommends Resubmission of Monolithic Monstrosity- Innovation Takes a Step Too Far

2336-2366 Charles Street
The unfortunate truth is that, all too often, discussions about change in Vancouver turn into toxic hyperbole. From opponents being dismissed as greedy landlords, to supporters described as paid shills, something is clearly broken in our civic consultation. It’s disgusting to see waterfront towers described as concentration camps or mid-rises, like this one, labelled as gulags. Certainly the treatment of city staff and the applicant team at this application’s open house was another low point.

However, I would have never expected to see a similar level of hyperbole at the Urban Design Panel. It’s clear this proposal has several faults, as the applicant admitted the parking garage entrance needed a lot more thought, and appreciated several other comment about adding canopies and landscaping issues. Despite that, they were unapologetic about the sizeable setback relaxations that were needed.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/06/18...trosity-innovation-takes-a-step-too-far/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1295  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 7:07 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,085
Looks like Dunbar Terrace is occupied now. I hadn't realized The Ivy (Stongs) is also rental, did it get switched from strata at some point in development? Big increase in rental units for the area.

[IMG]IMG_2001 by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1296  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 7:33 PM
Changing City's Avatar
Changing City Changing City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Looks like Dunbar Terrace is occupied now. I hadn't realized The Ivy (Stongs) is also rental, did it get switched from strata at some point in development? Big increase in rental units for the area.
I think you're right - I think both could have been sold off as strata buildings. They could still sell them in the future, as they're not part of Rental 100 or any other rental program, so not guaranteed as rental for 60 years, as Rental 100 are. It also explains the rents quoted on the site you linked to - 1 Bedrooms starting from $2075 • 2 Bedrooms starting from $2825 • 3 Bedrooms starting at $3850. Those are what market rents look like when there isn't any 'affordability' from a housing agreement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1297  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:58 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post

Those are what market rents look like when there isn't any 'affordability' from a housing agreement.
Those are what market rents look like when there is a landlord's market, i.e., when there is a severe lack of supply of rental housing and landlord's can essentially demand whatever they want since renters have very few alternatives. If supply were plentiful in the city, i.e., if renters had numerous options, market rents would look completely different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1298  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:19 PM
Feathered Friend Feathered Friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,554
2025 East 12th Avenue and 2776 Semlin Drive - Notice


https://www.bc.united-church.ca/wordpres...pment-Approach-Presentation-Feb-2018.pdf



Quote:
A Promise Kept – Provincial Funding Energizes Lakeview Rental Housing Revival

2025 East 12th Avenue and 2776 Semlin Drive
It’s no wonder so many people are disillusioned when it comes to Vancouver’s housing crisis. For decades now politicians of all stripes have promised to act, but then fail to live up to their commitments. As municipalities only receive 12 – 15% of every tax dollar collected, the reason things have gotten so dire is largely due to the continued cut backs and delayed action from provincial and federal governments.

That’s started to change, but it’s understandable why some were sceptical when the provincial government announced its Housing Hub program. Designed to kick-start development of middle income housing projects across the province, its first partnership was with the B.C. Conference of the United Church of Canada. The $12.4 million in funding would help bring over 400 new homes to church-owned lands in four cities, including 100 to the site of the ageing Lakeview United Church.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/06/24...ergizes-lakeview-rental-housing-revival/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1299  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 9:38 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I think you're right - I think both could have been sold off as strata buildings. They could still sell them in the future, as they're not part of Rental 100 or any other rental program, so not guaranteed as rental for 60 years, as Rental 100 are. It also explains the rents quoted on the site you linked to - 1 Bedrooms starting from $2075 • 2 Bedrooms starting from $2825 • 3 Bedrooms starting at $3850. Those are what market rents look like when there isn't any 'affordability' from a housing agreement.
Harwood is mostly in the apartment rental business, so I'd expect Dunbar Terrace to stay as such. Not sure who the folks behind The Ivy are.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1300  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 10:33 PM
Changing City's Avatar
Changing City Changing City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Harwood is mostly in the apartment rental business, so I'd expect Dunbar Terrace to stay as such. Not sure who the folks behind The Ivy are.
They were called 'Dunbar Partnership' for the application, and The Courier described them as local residents. They share an address with a property development company called Dayhu, but that might not be significant.

I realize this isn't a reply to your comment, but the rents seem to me to be what might be expected on the west side, given land values and recent construction costs. I'm not sure I'd expect them to be much lower, however much development the market was delivering to meet demand. Unless costs of land or construction come down, I would expect projects like this just wouldn't be built if rents were significantly less. The Rental 100 DCL waivers and parking reductions (on those projects that chose to use that program) help initial rents to be a bit lower, but even then, land and construction costs are the driver of what landlords need to charge to make a reasonable return.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:14 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.