Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
Exactly. Like I mentioned before, the main reason why suburbs are building so much, including really high density and commercial spaces, is because CoV keep dilly dallying what they want to do with the major corridors and possess bad development policies. Being the financial and cultural hub of this region, it would make perfect sense for businesses to seek Vancouver and downtown addresses, but the fact that office and many residential towers, as well as malls are built outside downtown show that Vancouver is really inefficient when it comes to attracting businesses and people to live here. Not sure why so many are in denial though.
|
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm in denial because it's weird, and wrong. I understand that you think Vancouver - The City of Vancouver - should take 75% or more of the regional growth. I just think it's such a ridiculous idea that I sometimes try to explain why I disagree. I'm not going to bother in future because you don't accept any evidence, history or economic explanations for why that won't, and probably shouldn't happen.
Vancouver last had 70% of the region's population in 1921. It went down to 50% in the mid 1960s. It's around quarter of the region's population today, and by 2041 it's expected to be 20%. That will still add nearly 200,000 more people, and that'll be achievable but for many residents it'll be an uncomfortable exercise in changed built form and density in some locations.
There's a regional plan for more housing, and jobs to be in other municipalities, especially in municipal and town centres. That's where the growth is happening, for the most part, and our transportation plans are based around that plan.
Vancouver adds density in ways some other municipalities don't, and at higher densities than many of the 'point tower on a big lot' model adopted in those places. It aims to strengthen the existing pattern of arterial streets with linear retail, (like Main Street in Southeast False Creek and up to Broadway) with a modest increase in commercial space to create local centres, especially where they're missing (Coal Harbour, under Granville Bridge). It also tries to protect most existing rental buildings, and their tenants, and to add more non-market housing, and childcare, which many other municipalities have not had as a priority (until recently, in some cases).
I understand you don't agree with many of those policies, and you want higher densities and heights and more retail especially malls. I'm pretty certain that's unlikely to happen, you're not going to like it not happening, and you'll repeat that ad nauseam as you have for years. History is against it changing dramatically, Politics (especially local politics) won't change it, Economics (especially development economics) won't change it, and the aspirations of all those other municipalities, and the Regional Plan will ensure that they grow significantly, and perhaps dramatically, in the next 25 years.
In the meantime the planning for Broadway after the transit is extended will be a difficult balancing act between residents who want no change of any sort, those that can tolerate some bigger moves around transit stations, and some developers (and a few residents) who would love to be able to build much taller. My guess is that it'll end up with something similar to the densities of South East False Creek, with maybe some modestly higher buildings (say 20 storeys) right on (some of the) station locations. It'll be interesting to see where it all lands in a couple of years.