HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 8:07 AM

My vote for official Noirish beer

[QUOTE=CaliNative;8586532
I think Schlitz should be the official noirish beer.[/QUOTE]

I think it should be Eastside Bock.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 10:31 AM

End of the noirish era--when beer (and soda) cans introduced pop tops?

True noir requires beer to be opened by can openers, and the can must not be aluminum but steel. True noir era also allows smoking EVERYWHERE (cough, wheeze). Color TVs are a novelty in the noir era, and VERY expensive and the picture is rotten. Computers are as big as a room and still use vacuum tubes (as do TVs). When your TV stops working you call a repairman who checks all the tubes. The end of noir is when tail fins started to be removed from cars, and British rock groups get traction. In the noir era practically ALL MEN WORE HATS. In the noir era backyard incinerators were still allowed, smog be damned. And it often wasn't called smog, but "haze" or maybe smoke. In the noir era, Pacific Ocean Park ("POP") still existed, as did Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe. Nearly all Americans ate meat, and there were almost no vegetarians. Nobody worried about cholesterol. Everybody watched Ed Sullivan on Sunday night, and Jack Benny too. Bob Hope always hosted the Oscars. Perry Mason always won his trials with a stunning courtroom confession.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 29, 2019 at 11:03 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:42 PM

Worst car color in the history of the world!

Original Kodachrome Slide: Scene at the Broadway-Crenshaw Center in Los Angeles, 1947.

Ebay

Would someone please tell to me what this color is? ....It's mind bogglingly awful.

Alice must have a date with Sam. She bought new duds.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 30, 2019 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:53 PM

Let us not forget Rheingold: "My beer is Rheingold, the dry beer..."

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Original Kodachrome Slide: Scene at the Broadway-Crenshaw Center in Los Angeles, c. 1947

Ebay

Would someone please tell to me what this color is? ....It's mind bogglingly awful.

Alice must have a date with Sam. She bought some new duds.
e_r, I think it's the dreaded . . . greige.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:

Original Kodachrome Slide: Scene at the Broadway-Crenshaw Center in Los Angeles, c. 1947

Ebay

It's probably Plaza Gray, but it was always battleship gray to me. Studebaker probably got a good deal on paint after the war.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
True noir requires beer to be opened by can openers, and the can must not be aluminum but steel. True noir era also allows smoking EVERYWHERE (cough, wheeze). Color TVs are a novelty in the noir era, and VERY expensive and the picture is rotten. Computers are as big as a room and still use vacuum tubes (as do TVs). When your TV stops working you call a repairman who checks all the tubes. The end of noir is when tail fins started to be removed from cars, and British rock groups get traction. In the noir era practically ALL MEN WORE HATS. In the noir era backyard incinerators were still allowed, smog be damned. And it often wasn't called smog, but "haze" or maybe smoke. In the noir era, Pacific Ocean Park ("POP") still existed, as did Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe. Nearly all Americans ate meat, and there were almost no vegetarians. Nobody worried about cholesterol. Everybody watched Ed Sullivan on Sunday night, and Jack Benny too. Bob Hope always hosted the Oscars. Perry Mason always won his trials with a stunning courtroom confession.
Excellent analysis. I would only add that Pacific Ocean Park was called P.O.P. not POP and that many people never saw color TV unless they went to a bar, where air conditioning and color television were big draws. Many of us put up with "snow" on our b&w TVs and tried to cool off with box fans.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:27 PM

Interesting. In my mind I don't associate beer much with film noir. I associate film noir with liquor...whiskey...cocktail bars.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:

Ebay

Here's the Studebaker paint chips for 1947:

http://paintref.com/graphics/chip/st...__ppg_c_01.jpg

Looks like Smokey Mountain Gray Light or Alleghany [sic] Gray Light to me.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
It's probably Plaza Gray, but it was always battleship gray to me. Studebaker probably got a good deal on paint after the war.
Interesting point about the battleship gray and surplus paint...the slide being 1947, and all.

..but I don't see gray.

Here's gray.

1947 Studebaker...........................

hemmings

Gray.......with a little blue.

update:

I didn't see Earl's cool paint chip chart until now. Good find! .......(but I don't think any of them match Alice's car)

odinthor, I had to look up the color greige.

vintage greige

Small Dot Pattern by Charles and Ray Eames , 1947

That's quite close, odinthor.

...somewhere along the way Greige appears to have morphed into Gray.

vaspar

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 29, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Excellent analysis. I would only add that Pacific Ocean Park was called P.O.P. not POP and that many people never saw color TV unless they went to a bar, where air conditioning and color television were big draws. Many of us put up with "snow" on our b&w TVs and tried to cool off with box fans.
Yes, I know & lived it. Color TVs were very rare in homes in the late 1950s, but they were available but very expensive. My neighbor bought an RCA version in the late 1950s and was so proud of it he invited the neighbors to come in and watch "Bonanza" in 1959 (1st year). Bonanza was one of the few programs in color back then. The colors were not good. Too much red and green fringes. Hoss looked like a big cherry. My family's first color was a Zenith in 1965 that had pretty good color quality, but the screen was almost oval (as were most of the early color TVs). It cost $500, a lot of money back then ($500 in 1965 was at least $2000 in 2019 dollar purchasing power). As I recall, most people back in the mid 1960s thought Zenith had the best color TVs, with RCA in the middle and probably Philco and Admiral lower down. So we got a Zenith and loved it. We loved to watch travelogues, which had vivid color. I remember a SoCal travelogue called "The Happy Wanderer" that featured a fat happy old man named "Slim" Barnard with a hearty cackling laugh. He and his family went all over California on road trips and filmed his adventures. Loved that show. By 1965/66, most TV shows were moving to color. Square screen color TVs didn't become common until the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 29, 2019 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Original Kodachrome Slide: Scene at the Broadway-Crenshaw Center in Los Angeles, 1947.

Ebay

Many problems with this photo. There's color shift in the slide, oxidation of the paint itself, fading from sunlight, etc.

In the decades before cars had a coat of gloss added to the finish, waxing a car was a big deal. It was an attempt to restore some life to the dull paint. I recall that a wax job seemed to remove half of the paint.....you could see it on your polishing rag.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 30, 2019 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:21 AM

It almost looks like primer.

Remember this guy?

....................................................Earl Scheib

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 30, 2019 at 3:34 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Interesting. In my mind I don't associate beer much with film noir. I associate film noir with liquor...whiskey...cocktail bars.

Murder My Sweet, 1944

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5K1hnFVeY

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:44 AM

Talking

Quote:
It almost looks like primer.

Remember this guy?

....................................................Earl Scheib

He'll paint any car any color for only $59.95

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
He did the same commercial for decades but the the price would go up by $10 every few years.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:25 AM

delete

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:29 AM

Quote:

Ebay

I like that "Woodie" to the right of her head. Classic. Alice knew where to pose that future humans would appreciate. So many classic cars in that parking lot, even the Studie has a fan club that I refuse to join. Doc Brown should have parked his DeLorean in that lot and gone back and brought back the classics. This model of Studie always confused me as a little kid. I couldn't tell the front from the back and that little ornament on the trunk stuck out like a nose or something. But Alice liked the thingie I guess and poses proudly as if it were a Caddy.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:44 PM

Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadykadie2 View Post
I remeber the comercials for Earl's car painting. The price was $19.95 then, my Aunt had her 49 Chev. painted there. One real bad thing Earl did was not cover th rubber on the tires when spraying the rims. Earl just used tire paint to cover up the color that got on the tires. I remebered that when I took a Sunbeam Alpine to them many years later and told them to not spray the wheels for that reason. They ignored my request and sprayed them the same old way anyway. I was mad to say the least. I was looking for a cheap paint job to sell the car and it was cheap but not very good quality.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Sam the butcher?

Last edited by Bristolian; May 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos