HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I find the lack of sports bars nearby Sun Devil Stadium...disturbing.
The sports bars in Grady Gammage's building haven't performed well, and it's catty corner from the football stadium. It's hard to support one when the stadium is only in use a few months a year. There is also no residential in that area currently.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypandybear View Post
The sports bars in Grady Gammage's building haven't performed well, and it's catty corner from the football stadium. It's hard to support one when the stadium is only in use a few months a year. There is also no residential in that area currently.
I think the Sun Devil Marketplace bar(Pitchforks & Corks) struggles because:

1)They are hidden from the street. I've talked to countless people who frequent College Ave and they never had a clue the place is there.

2) They are severely limited in TVs for viewing. There isn't a single TV on what is a cool outdoor patio.

3) Are very limited in food options. Only cold food and sandwiches when we've tried them.

4) No hard liquor.

We go to so many sporting events at ASU and have always wanted this place to be an option on our circuit, but it's just not equipped to compete with sports bars.

Btw, right across the street from The University's empty occupancy in question is the College Bar and Grill, which does a killer business even when there aren't Sun Devil football games in play. That whole street has really picked up since Snooze and Postino have opened on College Ave.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:29 AM

Not to mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post

1)They are hidden from the street. I've talked to countless people who frequent College Ave and they never had a clue the place is there.

2) They are severely limited in TVs for viewing. There isn't a single TV on what is a cool outdoor patio.

3) Are very limited in food options. Only cold food and sandwiches when we've tried them.

4) No hard liquor.

We go to so many sporting events at ASU and have always wanted this place to be an option on our circuit, but it's just not equipped to compete with sports bars.

Btw, right across the street from The University's empty occupancy in question is the College Bar and Grill, which does a killer business even when there aren't Sun Devil football games in play. That whole street has really picked up since Snooze and Postino have opened on College Ave.
Postinos does boffo business around any sporting event. This will only get busier when the Mill construction is completed, and the 365 Stadium plan matures. Empty storefronts are a missed opportunity.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:16 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypandybear View Post
Are talking about the building on the southwest corner of College & Veterans Way / Fifth Street -- the one with Royal Coffee on the ground floor? If so, the University House tower is right across the street. There's residential now with more to come in the future. The current sports bar there is doing well. It was the mediocre breweries that came before it that struggled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post

4) No hard liquor.

Is that place still in business? I never remember that it's there, and the one or two times I've looked in, I've never seen any customers.

More generally, College is definitely beginning to pick up, but a lot of ASU sports fans still think of Mill Avenue as their destination for eating and drinking before and after.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Postinos does boffo business around any sporting event. This will only get busier when the Mill construction is completed, and the 365 Stadium plan matures. Empty storefronts are a missed opportunity.
Yeah, Postinos is one the place we keep trying to get into before games and can't. Every place on Mill is actually easier, no matter how packed Mill is before a game.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Are talking about the building on the southwest corner of College & Veterans Way / Fifth Street -- the one with Royal Coffee on the ground floor? If so, the University House tower is right across the street. There's residential now with more to come in the future. The current sports bar there is doing well. It was the mediocre breweries that came before it that struggled.

Is that place still in business? I never remember that it's there, and the one or two times I've looked in, I've never seen any customers.

More generally, College is definitely beginning to pick up, but a lot of ASU sports fans still think of Mill Avenue as their destination for eating and drinking before and after.
Yup, that's The College Bar and Grill I mentioned above. Tim Healey's boy is part owner now. He gets the whole college crowd before games thing.

I think that spot in the University House will eventually be the prime spot around there if done right. I've owned a restaurant years ago, and every time I see that place I think how if I hadn't gone through an expensive divorce, that that would be the one place I'd seriously look into with an Italian sports bar concept I have in mind. Especially now with the explosive apartment and hotel growth within walking distance.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:51 PM

The Pier:

The Watermark from across the lake:

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:56 PM

Looks like the Pier is moving to me!!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Looks like the Pier is moving to me!!
Kramer, Newman and I are already making party plans for its grand opening in the next millennium.

Kramer isn't promising his every day balloons will still be inflated then, but does vow he'll have quite a bit of cubed ice-the good stuff. You can never have too much ice.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:27 PM

Thanks for the pics, muertecaza.

Can't wait for that Pier crane to finally rise. Watermark is looking so good!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
The Pier:
When are you doing a downtown photo update?

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:53 AM

Pier

I still go with my theory it's some guy and his family building this thing.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 1:17 AM

They have already cut into Mill ave for the Trolly rail at 3rd and 5th. They are wasting no time now that school is out.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
They have already cut into Mill ave for the Trolly rail at 3rd and 5th. They are wasting no time now that school is out.
Yeah I stood and watched them work for a minute yesterday, it was pretty cool.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:51 PM

So will there be disruptions to the light rail as they cut thru the existing track for the street car to go over them? Not sure how that works.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:25 PM

Tempe Projects Update

The Local - Exterior Complete, Whole Food Tenant Improvements underway.

Gilbane Project - Parking garage is up, they are starting to get wood on site for framing.

Mirabella - 10 more floors to go on this one, halfway there.

Collective - They are moving quick on this one. Seems like a new floor goes up every time I drive by.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
So will there be disruptions to the light rail as they cut thru the existing track for the street car to go over them? Not sure how that works.
I'm thinking the same. Maybe they can do it late night. Anyone know if it will have it's own lane and not share with cars. Else it will be stuck in the same Mill rush hour bottleneck.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I'm thinking the same. Maybe they can do it late night. Anyone know if it will have it's own lane and not share with cars. Else it will be stuck in the same Mill rush hour bottleneck.
The Tempe Streetcar will not have a dedicated right of way. Like most modern streetcar projects, it will operate in a shared lane.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:45 PM

The link has the updated marketing information along with new renderings for "The Beam" on Farmer. Excited to hopefully see this along with the office building across the street get underway soon!

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/401-...e-AZ/16036312/

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
The link has the updated marketing information along with new renderings for "The Beam" on Farmer. Excited to hopefully see this along with the office building across the street get underway soon!

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/401-...e-AZ/16036312/

Here is the brochure.

https://thebeamtempe.com/wp-content/...r_Brochure.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest